PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Wondrous Item in 3.5e/PF1 that allows spell research?

Gavinfoxx
2021-11-01, 02:13 PM
Is there any Wondrous Item in 3.5e or PF1e that counts as an appropriate laboratory for doing custom spell research? Or anything which lowers the price or difficulty or time of this sort of work? Are there any extra rules beyond those in the DMG for this? I'm interested in using this as a mechanic to allow adding new spells to a character's spell list that wouldn't normally be there.

I'm also, in general, interested in 'library in a book' style items from both games.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-11-01, 11:31 PM
In PF, at least, Knowledge (Arcana/Religion/Psionics) and Spellcraft/Psicraft checks determine the results of spell research (along with DM fiat as to whether the spell is feasible to research at all). So a masterwork item for those would help, as would any magic items that boost them. Fluff as an orrery and a Hitchhiker's Guide, maybe.

Gavinfoxx
2021-11-02, 07:29 PM
What are the 'library in a book' items in general in the two editions?

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-11-02, 08:21 PM
What are the 'library in a book' items in general in the two editions?MIC p189 has the Tome of Worldly Lore, which "contains every conceivable spell." It also "contain(s) all the world’s arcane knowledge." If that can't get you new spells in lieu of research (or at least help with it), I don't know what would.

Maat Mons
2021-11-02, 08:46 PM
While not an item as such, there are ways in 3.5 to cram all officially-published spells into a single, tiny book. Geometer compresses any spell down to one page, regardless of level. Arcane Shorthand halves that. And a Blessed book contains 1,000 pages.

I hadn't been aware of Tome of Ancient Lore. It's funny to think that, knowing only Secret Page, you could craft one and then use it to fill your spellbook with all the other spells you want. No longer must you find scrolls or convince other Wizards to let you copy from them. Catch learn 'em all from the comfort of your tower.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-11-02, 09:00 PM
Thing is, it's marked as being "cursed." Note that it's not noted to be a genuine cursed item (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm). So just cast remove curse and you should be able to get around its restrictions against browsing it for new spells permanently.

Gavinfoxx
2021-11-03, 08:01 AM
Sounds like I'm going to have to homebrew it. How would one write up something useful for research for any class capable of spell research , be it divine, arcane, or psionic?

Maat Mons
2021-11-03, 12:26 PM
You could buy an Enveloping Pit, build a little tower inside of it, and set up your lab in there.