404 Survey not found

Sounds like WotC doesn't actually want your opinion

dafrca
2021-11-01, 02:39 PM
404 Survey not found

Try this link: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/play-activity-survey-2021

Dork_Forge
2021-11-01, 02:47 PM
The Dark Sun option for favourite setting lets you say you like Psionics.

dafrca
2021-11-01, 03:21 PM
Maybe it was just me, but I felt some of the survey was designed to "guide" the outcome rather than ask questions and let it fall where it may.

Telwar
2021-11-01, 03:39 PM
The Dark Sun option for favourite setting lets you say you like Psionics.

It looks like they went through each setting to get the unique things for it. I out Birthright as my favorite, and it asked if it was politics, realm management, bloodlines, lore, etc that I liked.

Waazraath
2021-11-01, 03:55 PM
I came to 30%, then I gave up. Far too long.

Keravath
2021-11-01, 04:55 PM
It is a long survey.

jas61292
2021-11-01, 05:23 PM
That was long, but not nearly as long as some others. And not nearly as much typing up of opinions. Took a but, but was not too bad. Good to know that they want thoughts, not just on what we think of the game, but what players of the game think of other stuff tangentially related to the game.

Ganryu
2021-11-01, 05:41 PM
Huh, one of the questions was fascinating, asking which games in modern culture I'd played. Seems to me they're hunting for a 3rd party module. List btw, of options they put:

Warhammer
Hearthstone
Dark Souls
Magic: The Gathering
Dragon Quest XI
Pillars of Eternity
Assassin's Creed (Series)
Warhammer Tabletop Minatures
Final Fantasy
The Dark Eyes
Destiny
Ghost of Tsushima
Elder Scrolls
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Dragon Age
Greed Fall
MassEffect
Divinity: Original Sin
Horizon Zero Dawn
The Witcher
Middle-Earth:Shadow of War
Fallout
Monster Hunter
Wasteland 3
World of Warcraft

Some of those would make fantastic modules!!!

Grod_The_Giant
2021-11-01, 06:04 PM
Divinity: Original Sin
Given that the D:OS guys made Baldur's Gate 3, that would be an interesting full circle.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker on the other hand, is just... why? It's already a module, all you'd need to do to run it in 5e is to adjust DCs and encounters. Also, given that Pazio's whole schtick is "D&D but without WotC," I'm not sure how they'd expect to get the rights...

I suspect someone just went down a list of "most popular video games of 2020" and put each franchise on the list with no further thought.

Telwar
2021-11-01, 06:24 PM
I suspect someone just went down a list of "most popular video games of 2020" and put each franchise on the list with no further thought.

And somehow slipped in Warhammer minis games. Not any other minis games or TTRPGs, either. THAT was surprising.

Rukelnikov
2021-11-01, 07:40 PM
Given that the D:OS guys made Baldur's Gate 3, that would be an interesting full circle.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker on the other hand, is just... why? It's already a module, all you'd need to do to run it in 5e is to adjust DCs and encounters. Also, given that Pazio's whole schtick is "D&D but without WotC," I'm not sure how they'd expect to get the rights...

Personally, I was surprised Wrath of the Righteous was not in the list

Naanomi
2021-11-01, 08:46 PM
They never ask about older DnD video games... Eye of the Beholder? Pool of Radiance? I'd play some of those on my phone probably

ProsecutorGodot
2021-11-01, 09:10 PM
Personally, I was surprised Wrath of the Righteous was not in the list

I made sure to enter it in when given the opportunity, game was fantastic. I couldn't help but notice as well the immense coincidence of Mythic Actions entering 5E around the time I was finishing WoTR. My entire though while playing it was that if there was one thing I could steal for 5E it would be the Mythic system, it felt so interesting and would pair well with our tables tendency to go high magic.

Zevox
2021-11-01, 09:20 PM
Well, no, clearly not. I mean, Dragon Age is on that list, and it's been a dormant franchise for over half a decade now. Plus several of the other choices on the list are of dubious popularity, such as Dragon Quest. And even besides that, if they were really just listing off the most popular games of 2020/2021, it'd include things like Fortnite, Minecraft, Call of Duty, Among Us, etc.

No, it seems obvious that it's a list of games they think will have a fair chance of having crossover appeal with the D&D fanbase - hence why every game on the list is either an RPG or a fantasy title in some capacity, and most it is both.

Personally, I kind of wonder how much an outlier I'm going to be in that area, giving them a list of "favorite games I'm currently playing" that includes Guilty Gear Strive and Neo: The World Ends With You.

Catullus64
2021-11-01, 09:20 PM
I particularly liked how, after picking your favorite campaign setting, they asked you about what specifically you like about it. I'm curious what the options were for various settings, I ticked about every Dark Sun box except for the centrality of Psionics.

Rukelnikov
2021-11-01, 09:32 PM
I made sure to enter it in when given the opportunity, game was fantastic. I couldn't help but notice as well the immense coincidence of Mythic Actions entering 5E around the time I was finishing WoTR. My entire though while playing it was that if there was one thing I could steal for 5E it would be the Mythic system, it felt so interesting and would pair well with our tables tendency to go high magic.

Yeah, I have my issues with the game, but overall its a great game, definitely a step up from Kingmaker which was already a great game. And one of the things I love about it, is that it combines good old boring xp level up with cool af milestone leveling. old 1-20 is xp based, new 1-10 is milestone based. I think something like that could be adapted to 5e. I've been reading about this "Mythic" stuff in 5e, lately but I've no idea where that comes from.

ProsecutorGodot
2021-11-01, 09:41 PM
I've been reading about this "Mythic" stuff in 5e, lately but I've no idea where that comes from.

At the moment it's exclusive to the big monsters in Fizban's, Aspect of Tiamat, Bahamut and the Greatwyrms. I expect that we'll see more monster's with similar abilities in the future.

Zevox
2021-11-01, 09:52 PM
At the moment it's exclusive to the big monsters in Fizban's, Aspect of Tiamat, Bahamut and the Greatwyrms. I expect that we'll see more monster's with similar abilities in the future.
It actually originates in Mythic Odysseys of Theros, where a few of the biggest monsters had it. I guess they just liked it enough (and/or it got enough positive feedback) that they decided to bring it into a more mainline book.

ProsecutorGodot
2021-11-01, 10:14 PM
It actually originates in Mythic Odysseys of Theros, where a few of the biggest monsters had it. I guess they just liked it enough (and/or it got enough positive feedback) that they decided to bring it into a more mainline book.

You know, I never looked at any of the monsters in that book despite purchasing it. I guess my assumption that it might be a mainstay feature for deity like monsters isn't completely off base.

strangebloke
2021-11-01, 10:26 PM

Dragon Age itself is funny considering there's a FFG product for that which was very successful.

Personally, I kind of wonder how much an outlier I'm going to be in that area, giving them a list of "favorite games I'm currently playing" that includes Guilty Gear Strive and Neo: The World Ends With You.
Another striver eh?

Have faith, I'm sure we can convince WOTC to make a Holy Order supplement :smallbiggrin:

Foxhound438
2021-11-01, 10:41 PM
Well, no, clearly not. I mean, Dragon Age is on that list, and it's been a dormant franchise for over half a decade now. Plus several of the other choices on the list are of dubious popularity, such as Dragon Quest. And even besides that, if they were really just listing off the most popular games of 2020/2021, it'd include things like Fortnite, Minecraft, Call of Duty, Among Us, etc.

No, it seems obvious that it's a list of games they think will have a fair chance of having crossover appeal with the D&D fanbase - hence why every game on the list is either an RPG or a fantasy title in some capacity*, and most it is both.

Yeah, this kind of question has been here before and I think the point is to kind of get a glimpse at your pop culture context... Like, if you complained a lot about how there's not enough laser beams and fighter jets and then said you exclusively play battlefield and star wars, they would know where that comes from.

I wonder where I end up on the chart for putting bloons tower defense 6 in here... Are they going to read into my choice of bugbear as one of my favorite races for that?

Don't forget the ancient dragon turtle! I think these are pretty cool personally, though I think they could do a bit more to change them from pre-mythic to post. Like, after hitting mythic maybe they can't fly anymore and will thus be forced to fight on the ground, but in exchange get an extra attack in their multiattack or access to some spells rather than just a couple new legendary actions. My bigger criticism though is that the CR isn't really adjusted at all to account for the extra pile of HP they get, they just make the XP reward bigger and assume you're going to use the XP budget to see if it's an appropriate encounter for your party.

elyktsorb
2021-11-01, 11:09 PM
"What are your favorite games that your currently playing?"

Team Fortress 2
Pokemon
Binding of Isaac

I don't know what they are going to do with this knowledge, but I hope they are responsible with it.

Hytheter
2021-11-01, 11:14 PM
"What are your favorite games that your currently playing?"

Team Fortress 2
Pokemon
Binding of Isaac

I don't know what they are going to do with this knowledge, but I hope they are responsible with it.

I personally am looking forward to the Crash Team Racing tie-in that will surely result from my survery response. :smallamused:

Zevox
2021-11-01, 11:31 PM
Another striver eh?

Have faith, I'm sure we can convince WOTC to make a Holy Order supplement :smallbiggrin:
I'd go more for a Jellyfish Pirates supplement myself. I mean, we all know that what martial characters in D&D really need is the ability to call up dolphins from nowhere and ride them into their opponents' gut for massive damage, right?

(I am only half kidding. And suddenly have the urge to ask my DM if my next character can use an anchor as a weapon.)

Foxhound438
2021-11-01, 11:39 PM
I'd go more for a Jellyfish Pirates supplement myself. I mean, we all know that what martial characters in D&D really need is the ability to call up dolphins from nowhere and ride them into their opponents' gut for massive damage, right?

(I am only half kidding. And suddenly have the urge to ask my DM if my next character can use an anchor as a weapon.)

ah, smite but for rangers

SociopathFriend
2021-11-02, 12:53 AM
They never ask about older DnD video games... Eye of the Beholder? Pool of Radiance? I'd play some of those on my phone probably

Yeah I had to manually throw a bunch into Other:
Temple of Elemental Evil, Demon Stone, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (earlier version)

The current game portion sucked too due to gaming conditions but I decided to name the three I *would* be playing and were likely to be of use:
League of Legends
Warframe
Final Fantasy

Cause while I'm sure Shadow Hearts has some fertile ground for D&D purposes- I don't think it'd pop up enough in the survey to be worth anything. (I will legit punch someone if D&D ever tries to add the Judgement Ring)
Disgaea is distinctly out of most D&D levels- that's closer to Exalted levels of BS.

That said I felt a bit of remorse when it got to the products bought section and I put basically flat 0's everywhere save for non-D&D-brand items... which oddly enough they don't ask WHAT you bought there because that's a few hundred dollars on my end purely for Hero Forge. You'd think they'd want that information.

Foolwise
2021-11-02, 12:58 AM
I am not currently playing it, but was annoyed Zelda didn't make the list, so I included Breath of the Wild as one of my three.

Kane0
2021-11-02, 04:30 AM
Yeah I ain't doing another long-ass survey. Is there an option to tell them that?

Warder
2021-11-02, 05:18 AM
I took this one, and was pleasantly surprised that they had actually made room for sharing why I wouldn't recommend 5e to others at this point. I still think it's really odd that they never ask for general feedback not tailored to their very specific questions in any of their surveys. If there was ever room for "is there anything else you'd like to add?" it would be in the general survey.

Edit: And, of course, I got to add Mystic as my favorite class!

strangebloke
2021-11-02, 08:33 AM

Heh. Dolphin summoner rides again.

I am not currently playing it, but was annoyed Zelda didn't make the list, so I included Breath of the Wild as one of my three.

Kind of surprising it isn't there tbh. It's one of the classic dungeon crawlers.

Rukelnikov
2021-11-02, 08:44 AM

Thanks to both, I just checked those. It's not what I expected but its ok, I like the "phase 2" theme they went for, I used to do similar things for big bads. I played Wrath recently and expected myth power to be something similar (like epic level progression but earlier).

elyktsorb
2021-11-02, 08:50 AM
Kind of surprising it isn't there tbh. It's one of the classic dungeon crawlers.

I imagine they didn't include it due to there being no chance of them ever doing anything D@D + Zelda. Though I wouldn't expect them to be able to do anything with some of the games they did list.

jaappleton
2021-11-02, 08:53 AM
I need to ask for everyone's help.

Please. Please.

If you haven't done the survey yet, please do it.

If you have? I hate to ask. But please, do it again.

And when it asks where you get your D&D news and where you discuss things?

You get it all from Giant in the Playground.

......and feel encouraged to slip my name in there so I can get on the list of people who are sent preview copies, so I can share everything with you all.

strangebloke
2021-11-02, 09:05 AM
I imagine they didn't include it due to there being no chance of them ever doing anything D@D + Zelda. Though I wouldn't expect them to be able to do anything with some of the games they did list.

Nintendo just offered to do a movie with illumination, these are strange and unprecedented times.

But yeah, this clearly isn't a collab survey.

Palanan
2021-11-02, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by dafrca
Maybe it was just me, but I felt some of the survey was designed to "guide" the outcome rather than ask questions and let it fall where it may.

Maybe a little, but I mainly had a sense the survey branched to follow up on specific responses.

Unfortunately (but unsurprisingly) they had no options for Pathfinder, which is the main omission from my point of view. I slipped in a few mentions where I could, but that’ll probably just lead to my entire set of responses being axed.

Definitely don’t get a sense they’re really interested in my detailed opinions, just where I’m spending money.

Originally Posted by Telwar
It looks like they went through each setting to get the unique things for it.

I didn’t get that section, perhaps because I listed “homebrew” as my favorite setting.

What can I say, I like the setting I’ve spent years developing. :smalltongue:

Originally Posted by Ganryu
Huh, one of the questions was fascinating, asking which games in modern culture I'd played.

I got that one too. Never even heard of most of them.

Originally Posted by jaappleton

I listed my only source of D&D news as “giantitp.com,” which I hope they take into account.

jaappleton
2021-11-02, 09:16 AM
Nintendo just offered to do a movie with illumination, these are strange and unprecedented times.

But yeah, this clearly isn't a collab survey.

Nintendo had pretty much a done deal with Netflix for a Zelda series, but Netflix leaked it. Maybe to generate excitement, or help stocks, no idea why.

Nintendo axed the entire thing immediately as soon as it was leaked. They don't play. You play by their rules, or you don't play.

Though I'd absolutely adore seeing a playable Goron race, I highly doubt its in the cards.

Quietus
2021-11-02, 09:25 AM
Nintendo had pretty much a done deal with Netflix for a Zelda series, but Netflix leaked it. Maybe to generate excitement, or help stocks, no idea why.

Nintendo axed the entire thing immediately as soon as it was leaked. They don't play. You play by their rules, or you don't play.

Though I'd absolutely adore seeing a playable Goron race, I highly doubt its in the cards.

If I wanted to play a Goron, I'd just play a Goliath, and ask the DM to change cold resistance to fire. I think that'd fit pretty well.

I'll be doing the survey later, and will definitely mention GITP as my major news source. I hear about most things here, if I don't catch them on Discord.

Foolwise
2021-11-02, 09:30 AM
Nintendo does collabs all the time. There's the previously mentioned Hollywood Mario flick. It seems every year that are promoting some limited edition (Puma?) sneakers and indie clothing merch. They let other developers use their franchises all the time. Specifically with Zelda- Minish Cap and the Oracle games (Capcom), Hyrule Warriors series (KOEI/Tecmo), Cadence of Hyrule (indie dev).

The question is would a D&D/Zelda collab be a good fit? The setting fits, multiple playable races, interesting monsters/bosses all work in the collab's favor. Nintendo has also maintained that the principles are forever locked in the same struggle throughout the timeline so creating a spinoff D&D adventure would further bolster the legend of Zelda. But therein lies the downside. What happens if everyone wants to be Link? You get Four Swords Adventure. But honestly I think that problem wouldn't arise too much, as people would love to finally play as Zelda/Shiek or Impa or one of the BotW Champions.

But a Fire Emblem x D&D collab is likelier.

jaappleton
2021-11-02, 09:30 AM
If I wanted to play a Goron, I'd just play a Goliath, and ask the DM to change cold resistance to fire. I think that'd fit pretty well.

I'll be doing the survey later, and will definitely mention GITP as my major news source. I hear about most things here, if I don't catch them on Discord.

But I need to eat rocks!

Chronic
2021-11-02, 09:34 AM
And somehow slipped in Warhammer minis games. Not any other minis games or TTRPGs, either. THAT was surprising.

Considering the weight of warhammer franchises in pop culture these days, I would jump on the licenses if I could strike a fair deal with GW. Official 5e warhammer content would sell like crazy. Not sure I would play it myself tho, I find them tedious as an rpg setting.

GreyBlack
2021-11-02, 09:34 AM

Wasn't Kingmaker a Neverwinter Nights module first before it became a Pathfinder module? Or am I hallucinating on that?

Palanan
2021-11-02, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Quietus

Thinking about it a little further, I’m slightly miffed they didn’t have the Playground as one of the default options. Are we really that niche for them?

jaappleton
2021-11-02, 09:44 AM
I know for a fact that WOTC uses DDB (and likely FantasyGrounds and others) to get data.

What's the most popular race, most popular class, how many people are using Subclass X since its release, etc

Doesn't necessarily mean that the things included in this survey is a list of things Hasbro is looking to purchase.

.....though it'd be fiscally irresponsible for them to not have their own digital toolset sometime within the next two years or so.

EDIT:

Thinking about it a little further, I’m slightly miffed they didn’t have the Playground as one of the default options. Are we really that niche for them?

Yes. 100%. Its something I've been trying to change for awhile. I've contacted the WOTC head of PR, as well as their Community Director. Made a topic here on the forum, which so many of you participated in (THANK YOU!) saying that someone at GITP should get on the preview copy list so they can hype up the forum for new book releases, like YouTubers and twitter influencers get copies.

They believe forums are dead, and tweets / videos are the normal way to consume media now.

To which I say... Forums are dead? Ok, Discord is in essence a forum. ACTUAL Forums are dead? Here's the engagement on topics I've posted where I've shared news here at GITP, which has thousands of views and hundreds of responses, MORE SO THAN THEIR TWITTER INFLUENCERS (and even some YouTubers get). Not to mention people that HATE video format, like myself... I can't view video content while at work, and I know others feel the same.

Cybren
2021-11-02, 09:58 AM
they do know that D&D is a TABLETOP RPG and using TABLETOP to mean "live in-person play" kind of feels a little condescending to people who play it with virtual TABLETOP software, right?

noob
2021-11-02, 10:04 AM
It is a really long survey.
I think they might get better results if they made the survey shorter even if they would get less specific information.

jaappleton
2021-11-02, 10:06 AM
It is a really long survey.
I think they might get better results if they made the survey shorter even if they would get less specific information.

At least now we get the option to save our progress and continue later.

togapika
2021-11-02, 10:26 AM
Shame that they only ask you about your #1 setting. I wanted to chime in about liking Psionics and the Giff, but since I put Eberron as my #1, they only asked me about that one.

Warder
2021-11-02, 10:31 AM
Shame that they only ask you about your #1 setting. I wanted to chime in about liking Psionics and the Giff, but since I put Eberron as my #1, they only asked me about that one.

It worries me that the choice at the top of the list for Spelljammer was "zany & comedic" or something similar, which does not mesh well with my idea of Spelljammer. Sure, it has concepts that are pretty out there, but overall it's a pretty serious setting with ruthless imperialistic elves and ruthless xenophobic beholders and ruthless vengeful scro and, well, yeah.

noob
2021-11-02, 11:52 AM
It worries me that the choice at the top of the list for Spelljammer was "zany & comedic" or something similar, which does not mesh well with my idea of Spelljammer. Sure, it has concepts that are pretty out there, but overall it's a pretty serious setting with ruthless imperialistic elves and ruthless xenophobic beholders and ruthless vengeful scro and, well, yeah.

There is also mingsk and his miniature giant space hamster and other comedy elements.
You can mix grim things and comedy there is even a name for comedies about grim things.

Xervous
2021-11-02, 12:16 PM
They believe forums are dead, and tweets / videos are the normal way to consume media now.

To which I say... Forums are dead? Ok, Discord is in essence a forum. ACTUAL Forums are dead? Here's the engagement on topics I've posted where I've shared news here at GITP, which has thousands of views and hundreds of responses, MORE SO THAN THEIR TWITTER INFLUENCERS (and even some YouTubers get). Not to mention people that HATE video format, like myself... I can't view video content while at work, and I know others feel the same.

Forums are like hobby shops frequented by enthusiasts. Activity is sporadic because different questions and topics demand different degrees of response and engagement. Twits operate under the assumption that activity is a goal rather than a means. The hobby shop will be patient, take the time to explain things and work towards a unique solution. The social media pipeline will glom onto ideas as long as they remain relevant, and are constantly reminded about it. The hobbyist returns to a project because they remembered, the twit returns because they were reminded.

If they want to chase short term sales then social media is great. But if they want the invested individuals who are the long term audience for increasingly obscure splats... check the forums.

My personal dislike for videos is that maybe 5% of things need to be explained visually. People waste a lot of spoken words, there’s that droning of “don’t forget to lick my sub”, and I read plenty fast besides. If I’m changing a motor on the dishwasher a video is great. If someone is going to talk about abstract stuff while random clips play in the background... um hello I’m here for information not entertainment?

nickl_2000
2021-11-02, 12:21 PM
Forums are like hobby shops frequented by enthusiasts. Activity is sporadic because different questions and topics demand different degrees of response and engagement. Twits operate under the assumption that activity is a goal rather than a means. The hobby shop will be patient, take the time to explain things and work towards a unique solution. The social media pipeline will glom onto ideas as long as they remain relevant, and are constantly reminded about it. The hobbyist returns to a project because they remembered, the twit returns because they were reminded.

If they want to chase short term sales then social media is great. But if they want the invested individuals who are the long term audience for increasingly obscure splats... check the forums.

My personal dislike for videos is that maybe 5% of things need to be explained visually. People waste a lot of spoken words, there’s that droning of “don’t forget to lick my sub”, and I read plenty fast besides. If I’m changing a motor on the dishwasher a video is great. If someone is going to talk about abstract stuff while random clips play in the background... um hello I’m here for information not entertainment?

I don't know what kinds of video you are watching on youtube, but they don't appear to be safe for work (or at least not sanitary)!

I don't like video because there is no true interaction and I don't want to wait through the stupid intro and discussion. I want the information and want it now. In a text format I can scan easily.

And twitter is a worse hive of scum and villainy than the Mos Eisley Spaceport. Almost everything I read on there is filled with hate.

jaappleton
2021-11-02, 01:33 PM
And twitter is a worse hive of scum and villainy than the Mos Eisley Spaceport. Almost everything I read on there is filled with hate.

Darn, you found my account!

loki_ragnarock
2021-11-02, 02:18 PM
Wasn't Kingmaker a Neverwinter Nights module first before it became a Pathfinder module? Or am I hallucinating on that?

They have the same name, but are entirely different products.

Kind of like how Nissan has a Pathfinder, and Paizo has a Pathfinder, but they don't resemble each other too much.

jaappleton
2021-11-02, 03:15 PM
They have the same name, but are entirely different products.

Kind of like how Nissan has a Pathfinder, and Paizo has a Pathfinder, but they don't resemble each other too much.

(Blue text)
Speak for yourself! Mine is a multiclass 6 seater / Cleric!
(Blue text)

Kane0
2021-11-02, 03:20 PM
I need to ask for everyone's help.

Please. Please.

If you haven't done the survey yet, please do it.

If you have? I hate to ask. But please, do it again.

......and feel encouraged to slip my name in there so I can get on the list of people who are sent preview copies, so I can share everything with you all.

Alright fine but im only doing this for you.

Psyren
2021-11-02, 03:21 PM
It was long but I enjoyed filling it out. Understanding their demo can only be a good thing.

I especially loved the CRPG questions on the survey, asking about things like Divinity OS2, BG3, and even the legacy stuff like NWN, Planescape and Icewind Dale. I think these are an underserved avenue into tabletop gaming, particularly for console gamers, though I confess I'm a bit biased in that regard since that was my own avenue to the genre.

EDIT: I did list the Playground as a 5e news source, but no specific posters. Even if I felt comfortable doing that, no way am I sitting through that whole thing again.

Dork_Forge
2021-11-02, 03:37 PM
Alright fine but im only doing this for you.

The fact that you saying no to the length is the first post of this page made me chuckle here.

dafrca
2021-11-02, 03:46 PM

I already put that answer before I saw your request. :smallbiggrin:

jaappleton
2021-11-02, 03:52 PM
I already put that answer before I saw your request. :smallbiggrin:

I love this community.

rlc
2021-11-02, 04:34 PM
I particularly liked how, after picking your favorite campaign setting, they asked you about what specifically you like about it. I'm curious what the options were for various settings, I ticked about every Dark Sun box except for the centrality of Psionics.

Eberron asks about politics and the world’s technology and magic

jaappleton
2021-11-02, 06:23 PM
Eberron asks about politics and the world’s technology and magic

'Lightning train and robots' wasn't an option?

Leon
2021-11-02, 06:44 PM
I like a good survey, although i did have to scrap it and start again after some shower maths indicated i got my start date wrong by a wide margin and to hit back that many times was bothersome and changed some other answers along the way and found it to be shorter and realized it was the change in setting choices.

Bosh
2021-11-02, 08:55 PM
I liked the focus on kids. Am running a game for a bunch of kiddos at the moment because my son loves D&D and it's great to see D&D focusing on getting a new generation in after freaking DECADES of munching on the seed corn. I'm getting a bit burned out on D&D personally (not that it isn't a great game, just like some variety) but I'm looking forward so much to see what kinds of stuff the current generation of kids come up with as they get older and branch off from D&D and appreciate the work that D&D has done to get fresh blood into the hobby enormously.

Naanomi
2021-11-02, 10:01 PM
I liked the focus on kids.
I liked that as well, I run DnD groups at school (some social skills groups, some as part of gaming club) so a lot of my play is with kids (and young adults with developmental disabilities of various kinds)

Millstone85
2021-11-03, 07:13 AM
It worries me that the choice at the top of the list for Spelljammer was "zany & comedic" or something similar, which does not mesh well with my idea of Spelljammer.For me that choice showed up at the bottom of the list, so I guess the order is randomized.

PhantomSoul
2021-11-03, 09:19 AM
For me that choice showed up at the bottom of the list, so I guess the order is randomized.

Wait... a WOTC survey doing something surveys should do? Clearly this is some sort of third-party phishing scam!

noob
2021-11-03, 11:12 AM
Wait... a WOTC survey doing something surveys should do? Clearly this is some sort of third-party phishing scam!

To be honest they skipped 2 other good practices for surveys: making the survey as short as possible(else you might end up with people filling at random or giving up in the middle) and making questions even the dumbest can understand.

PhantomSoul
2021-11-03, 11:39 AM
To be honest they skipped 2 other good practices for surveys: making the survey as short as possible(else you might end up with people filling at random or giving up in the middle) and making questions even the dumbest can understand.

It's shorter than their others (first time I've bothered finishing a survey of theirs in ages)... but yeah, they got something right, but let's not pretend they got it right as a whole xD (Though at least the questions were thematic enough that it was less obviously something that should have been a larger number of surveys.)

Sigreid
2021-11-03, 12:15 PM
They really need to narrow these things down to 10 to 20 questions each. If a survey takes more than 10 minutes to fill out, most of your customer base won't.

jaappleton
2021-11-03, 03:33 PM
They really need to narrow these things down to 10 to 20 questions each. If a survey takes more than 10 minutes to fill out, most of your customer base won't.

It included far too much 'If yes, then answer this'

All it did was make me lie a lot to avoid a bunch of questions.

I did be sure to include what I always say, though: Yes, art matters. Pay your artists. They help bring the world to life. Art is important.

strangebloke
2021-11-03, 03:38 PM

I did be sure to include what I always say, though: Yes, art matters. Pay your artists. They help bring the world to life. Art is important.

More than anything else, art is what makes me buy a book for myself rather than borrowing someone elses. If the book was raw text I'd just pass the book back after character creation and never think of it again.

PhantomSoul
2021-11-03, 04:19 PM

Plus it meant any measure of being done soon (% complete bar) wasn't actually useful.

Telling the participant what the time for the survey is expected to be (especially if it's more than 5-10 mins) is basic, even if you have to give a big range (and therefore give an idea of what the range is from). You won't be right for everyone, but setting some baseline helps...

Millstone85
2021-11-04, 07:47 AM
Plus it meant any measure of being done soon (% complete bar) wasn't actually useful. At least this time they put the age question early on, so it did not look like half the survey got skipped because of our answer.

ChaosStar
2021-11-04, 04:08 PM
I put Forgotten Realms for my favorite setting and my recently played games were:

100% Orange Juice
Darkest Dungeon
Diablo II Resurrected

Also put that Spudventures was the only podcast/livestream thing of D&D that I pay attention to.

PhoenixPhyre
2021-11-04, 06:01 PM
I put Homebrew as my favorite setting, and got a bunch of questions about why I preferred that.

For active games, I only put FFXIV, because that's really the only other game I play on a regular basis. Don't remember any questions about that.

Wasn't sure exactly how to answer the "when did you first learn about D&D" questions...I started playing the CRPG versions but only picked up the tabletop back right at the very end of 4e's run.

Kane0
2021-11-04, 07:54 PM
Wasn't sure exactly how to answer the "when did you first learn about D&D" questions...I started playing the CRPG versions but only picked up the tabletop back right at the very end of 4e's run.

Yeah the Infinity Engine games followed by NWN were my first exposure to D&D, I don't recall that being an option and had to put it in manually.

elyktsorb
2021-11-04, 08:27 PM
I put Homebrew as my favorite setting, and got a bunch of questions about why I preferred that.

I ended up having to write in that I've pretty much been playing Pathfinder Modules converted to 5e for the last 3 years.

GeoffWatson
2021-11-04, 08:33 PM

Really?
When people complain about Fighters being boring at high level the common answer on these forums is "Just use Mythic".
How does that work?

ProsecutorGodot
2021-11-04, 08:44 PM
Really?
When people complain about Fighters being boring at high level the common answer on these forums is "Just use Mythic".
How does that work?

I'm not sure I've seen anyone say that or how a monster stat block and the Fighter player class are related, could you elaborate?

dafrca
2021-11-04, 08:45 PM
I ended up having to write in that I've pretty much been playing Pathfinder Modules converted to 5e for the last 3 years.

LOL, I bet they loved that one. :biggrin:

Saelethil
2021-11-04, 08:45 PM
Really?
How does that work?

I’m pretty sure they’re talking about a different system, not dungeons and dragons.

Baine
2021-11-05, 12:42 AM
I'm really surprised they didn't mention Zelda in the 'have you played this series' questions.

That's basically what got me into more DND specific Fantasy.

KorvinStarmast
2021-11-05, 11:11 PM
For my three favorite games I put Hearthstone, Diablo II resurrected, and League of Legends, since that question was at the end of that segment of questions.
I wonder if they'll think it's weird that I didn't include Dungeons and Dragons. :smallconfused:

Xervous
2021-11-08, 07:32 AM
For my three favorite games I put Hearthstone, Diablo II resurrected, and League of Legends, since that question was at the end of that segment of questions.
I wonder if they'll think it's weird that I didn't include Dungeons and Dragons. :smallconfused:

But is it really a game or is it a lifestyle choice? I know things like WoW and FFXIV are the latter.

Dark Souls (1), Planetside 2, Grim Dawn. Yeah I think it’s clear I’m the opposite of their target audience.

noob
2021-11-08, 07:40 AM
I did put Starcraft brood war, Doom II(1994) and something I forgot.
I do not think I am in the target audience of anyone.

Dalinar
2021-11-08, 09:08 AM
For the list of games you play, mine included the one game I was looking for, Destiny. (I don't know that it shares enough genre space for a supplement, it just happens to dominate my video game time rn.)

I think that part may be somewhat randomized so as to not overwhelm people with options?

I also threw in Guilty Gear: Strive, even though I haven't touched it in a few months. I like the game, just burned myself out on it. (Let's go Chipp!)

PhoenixPhyre
2021-11-08, 10:54 AM
But is it really a game or is it a lifestyle choice? I know things like WoW and FFXIV are the latter.

FFXIV is slightly less of a lifestyle choice than WoW, unless you have a house. In which case you do have to log in and go to the house every 30 days to keep it from being demolished. Which means keeping an active subscription. If you don't, there's really not much FOMO. Tons of ways to catch up, a relatively low-barrier-to-entry end-game, and an explicit "we want people to not feel like this is a job, it's fine if you stop subscribing periodically" mentality from the main developers.

Telok
2021-11-08, 06:10 PM
I did put Starcraft brood war, Doom II(1994) and something I forgot.
I do not think I am in the target audience of anyone.

No, no, I can run a game using that. Not in D&D, but at least 5 other systems can do it pretty easily. Maybe look at the new Aliens rpg?

noob
2021-11-08, 06:41 PM
No, no, I can run a game using that. Not in D&D, but at least 5 other systems can do it pretty easily. Maybe look at the new Aliens rpg?

When you target an audience you want to target one that is likely to buy your game.
So one that is playing games they bought recently.

Telok
2021-11-09, 12:00 AM
When you target an audience you want to target one that is likely to buy your game.
So one that is playing games they bought recently.

More talking that you are in the target audience for some things, just maybe not quite the way the survey put it.