PDA

View Full Version : "I'm the highwayman" over the garden wall build.

Rfkannen
2021-11-01, 02:56 PM
Halloween was yesterday, and since it fits the season, I wanted to make a character build inspired by over the garden wall! Because it sounded fun, I decided I wanted to make the Highwayman.

Everything we know about the Highwayman comes from his song and his appearance

https://i.redd.it/17wc82aiwiv31.png

"I'm the Highwayman
I make ends meet, just like any man
I work with my hands…

I'll knock you out
Drive you off the road
Steal your shoes from off your feet
I'm the Highwayman
And I make ends meet"

Which, in mechanical terms, tells us that
1) he works with his hands (does not use weapons, unarmed strikes are his goto)
2) he will knock you out, so he has some ability to stop you from functioning correctly
3) he is going to drag you off the road, so some ability to control movement.
4) he is going to steal your equipment, preferably in battle.
5) he is a human
6) he is proficient in performance.
7) he is pretty clearly either wearing clothes or leather armor

Here is my build for that idea:
We start as a variant human with the skill expert (athletics feat). This feat lets us be very good at grappling with low strength
The first level is in monk; this gives us the ability to attack as a bonus action, the power to let us use our unarmed strikes with dex, and lets us not use armor anymore.
The next 6 levels are in battle master fighter. Here, we take the unarmed fighting style to boost our damage. The main reason we want battle master is for the disarming strike maneuver. This manueve lets us steal people's equipment in the middle of combat. Menacing strike, grappling strike, ambush, and bait and switch are all also thematic options.
For the Next five levels, we take monk. We are here primarily for stunning strike, but the mobility is also very nice. For subclass, any works but I think shadows makes sense since he would probably be robbing people at night. When you get to level 4 of monk, swap out your fighting style for superior technique.
Next three levels are in gloomstalker ranger. This gives him something to concentrate on for more damage, gives you expertise in stealth, and lets you be invisible in the cover of darkness, which is just fun. Take blind fighting fighting style. The spells I would take would be zephyr strike, absorb elements, and longstrider.
That's probably when your campaign is ending, but if it isn't, go fighter for the rest!

Heres a dndbeyond link https://ddb.ac/characters/61172140/nr5hOT

What do you think? Does it fit the character? Anything you would do to improve the build? How would you build the Highwayman?

KorvinStarmast
2021-11-01, 03:00 PM
I prefer the version of The Highwayman as being based on Alfred Noyes' poen (Song by Loreena McKennitt (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGFo0xn4JeY)) to this variation, but this looks playable and fun.

I'd suggest Criminal background for the monk (stealth and thieves tools, and deception) - agree with the feat. :smallsmile:

Rfkannen
2021-11-01, 03:38 PM
I prefer the version of The Highwayman as being based on Alfred Noyes' poen (Song by Loreena McKennitt (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGFo0xn4JeY)) to this variation, but this looks playable and fun.

I'd suggest Criminal background for the monk (stealth and thieves tools, and deception) - agree with the feat. :smallsmile:

I hadn't heard that song before, I love it! I need to listen to more of her stuff, previously I had only heard the mummer's dance.

Criminal background is a good idea!

KorvinStarmast
2021-11-01, 03:42 PM
I hadn't heard that song before, I love it! I need to listen to more of her stuff, previously I had only heard the mummer's dance.
That CD (Magical Secrets) is a family favorite, but sadly my wife lost the CD last year. :smallfrown:

Criminal background is a good idea! Yeah.
I like your mixing monk and battlemaster to get the thematic fit.

FabulousFizban
2021-11-02, 03:29 AM
human variant strength based rogue with expertise athletics and grappler feat.