PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Did AL remove the PHB +1 rule?

Khrysaes
2021-11-02, 06:41 AM
I apologize if there was already a thread for this more than a month ago.

So I recently downloaded the AL forgotten realms rules for player and dms that became effective September 22nd, 2021, version 11.0, available: https://dnd.wizards.com/ddal_general

When looking at the character creation rules I noticed I couldn't find the staple Phb +1 rule, in fact, it seems that any Forgotten realms character can use what is quoted below.

BUT, I cant find any mention of PHB +1..

Did it get removed?

Use the character creation rules as presented in the Player’s Handbook (PH), with the following notes. You begin play at 1st level.
Step 1: Choose a Race or Lineage. See the sidebar for available rules choices. Custom lineages found in Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything are available.
Step 2: Choose a Class. See the sidebar for available rules choices.
Step 3: Determine Ability Scores. Your ability scores are generated using one of the following methods.

• Standard set (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8).
• Variant: Customizing Ability Scores (PH).

Step 4: Describe Your Character. See the sidebar for available rules choices.

• Alignment: Choose a non-evil alignment.
• Deity: You may choose any deity to worship from official rulebooks that is unique to the Forgotten Realms or is not unique to another world. Clerics must choose a deity.
• Faction: You may choose one faction at character creation or anytime the opportunity arises during play. Benefits for faction membership are detailed within adventures where relevant. The starting factions are listed in appendix C in the Basic Rules. You may only have membership in one faction at a time and may switch whenever you’d like.

Step 5: Choosing Equipment. Your starting equipment and gold are determined by your class and background; you don’t roll for gold. You may start with a trinket of your choice from available rules choices. You can sell starting equipment using the rules in the PH and can buy equipment and spell components found in the PH or available rules choices.

You can use non-optional rules found in the Player’s Handbook, the Basic Rules, and all the books listed below. If a rule has been reprinted in a newer resource, you must always use the latest printing.

• Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons (FTD) (on October 19, 2021)
• Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes (MTF)
• Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide (SCAG)
• Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything (TCE)
• Volo’s Guide to Monsters (VGM)
• Xanathar’s Guide to Everything (XGE)
• Races or backgrounds published in select adventure product (see the FAQ)
• Backgrounds from premier organizer products (see the FAQ)

You may also use the rules found in the following digital publications:

• Elemental Evil Player’s Companion (EEPC)
• Locathah Rising (LR)
• The Tortle Package (TP)

Additionally, the following variant or optional rules are available:

• Blessed of Corellon (MTF)
• Chapter 6: Customization Options (PH)
• Customizing Your Origin (TCE)
• Half-Elf and Tiefling Variants (SCAG/MTF)
• Option: Human Languages (SCAG)
• Optional Class Features (TCE)
• Variant Human Traits (PH)

Chad.e.clark
2021-11-02, 07:26 AM
As I understand it: yes, PHB +1 is a thing of the past.

Something else I noticed, is that you can start a level 5 character and that there are xpanded options for magic items that a PC can automatically pick up at level 5 (Bloodwell Vial for Sorcerer stands out to me: why yes, I would like 5 free sorcery points, thank you. Oh and a +1 to my spell DC? You are too kind.)

elyktsorb
2021-11-02, 07:53 AM
Did it get removed?

Yeah, considering how many of the books are basically essential to a lot of class things now, limiting you to PHB+1 is a **** move. Not to mention it encourages more Adventure League play if you can make a character that can use everything.

GreyBlack
2021-11-02, 08:33 AM
Yeah, considering how many of the books are basically essential to a lot of class things now, limiting you to PHB+1 is a **** move. Not to mention it encourages more Adventure League play if you can make a character that can use everything.

More like it encourages you to buy more of the books so you can prove that your character should have options A, B, and C, but that's just splitting hairs. This was a super-smart business move on WOTC's part; allowing your character to use more of the material could encourage character build creativity, and helps to make league play way less noodly than it can be sometimes.

Keravath
2021-11-02, 08:38 AM
Yes. PHB+1 was removed. The list of sources allowed for creating Forgotten Realms AL characters is listed in the players guide.

The complete list is:

"WHAT RULEBOOKS SHOULD I USE?
You can use non-optional rules found in the Player’s Handbook, the Basic Rules, and all the books listed below. If a rule has been reprinted in a newer resource, you must always use the latest printing.

• Locathah Rising (LR)

• Variant Human Traits (PH)"

You can mix and match content from these sources to create and build your AL character. This includes the Custom Lineage character type from Tashas as well as the customizing your character guidelines from Tashas. "Custom lineages found in Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything are available."

I believe Wild Beyond the Witchlight is also a valid source (i.e. you can play fairies or harengon) but the only reference I have for that is on the AL Discord al-rules-compendium channel.

Some additional significant changes.

1) Characters can level after completing a module. Additional rules for hardcovers will be forthcoming as far as I know with something called the Adaptation Guide.

2) Gold found in the adventure is split and awarded equally to all characters. (Modules written for season 8 or 9 that explicitly did not reward gold now award a specific range of gold - this is in the DMs guide https://media.wizards.com/2021/dnd/downloads/ddal_fr_dmsguidev11_0.pdf )

3) Magic items (including consumables if they aren't used during play) are awarded to all of the players. This does mean multiple copies are possible.

4) Characters can keep all the magic items they receive. However, characters are limited in how many they can bring on any adventure.

CARRIED MAGIC ITEMS BY TIER

Tier
Uncommon+
Common
Consumable

Everything is kept but the quantity a character can bring on an adventure is limited. This makes it much easier to change things up.

5) Character rebuilds are allowed every time the character levels up. "Whenever you could gain a level (even if you decline), you may rebuild any aspect of your character. "

6) No permanent death unless you want it. During the adventure the character has to deal with negative effects like curses or character death. After the adventure these are removed. Diseases like lycanthropy or vampirism still make the character unplayable.

7) You can trade permanent non-unique magic items at a cost of 5 down time days.

8) You can start an AL legal character at level 5.

9) Any level 5+ character can choose a magic item from the list in the PG. They only get one and it can be traded.

There are a few other updates. The player guide at the moment is https://media.wizards.com/2021/dnd/downloads/DDAL_PlayersGuidev11_0.pdf

The DDAL web page with the link to the guides is https://dnd.wizards.com/ddal_general

----

Eberron is still a separate campaign as is the one based on the Domains of Dread. Sources, characters etc are not shared between these campaigns.

Witty Username
2021-11-02, 09:45 PM
Yes, as I understand it, AL now uses an allow list of books, Xanathar's, Tasha's, and Volo's I am pretty sure are on the list.

PhantomSoul
2021-11-03, 09:35 AM
More like it encourages you to buy more of the books so you can prove that your character should have options A, B, and C, but that's just splitting hairs. This was a super-smart business move on WOTC's part; allowing your character to use more of the material could encourage character build creativity, and helps to make league play way less noodly than it can be sometimes.

Yeah, that first thing, especially with Tasha's Capsule of Pseudoretcons :P

dafrca
2021-11-03, 01:06 PM
Yeah, that first thing, especially with Tasha's Capsule of Pseudoretcons :P

LOL, got me on that one. Glad I wasn't at work in the literal sense. :smallbiggrin:

Foxhound438
2021-11-03, 10:14 PM
Wow, they seem to have actually made AL appealing to me again

- more drop in drop out available, due to the ability to just up and make a level 5 instead of being relegated to the newb table if you haven't been through the 10 agonizing sessions it would take to get into a more established group. Not to degrade new players too hard, but it can be frustrating to spend every week with a new batch of people who have no idea what to do
- no permadeath means you don't have to worry about your 10 agonizing sessions being negated by someone else's tactical mistake, and don't have to play like a total coward to avoid it
- getting a free item at 5th is just cool
- leveling up and gaining items isn't governed by a stupid points system
- generally more laissez-faire in terms of controlling builds, from allowing combining books to allowing respecs at a whim, meaning you can just be a build tourist if that's your thing (it's sometimes mine for sure). This is super nice considering I haven't been seeking any AL play since my characters would generally be forced to choose between the subclasses I want or the spells I want, being split between Tasha's and Xanathar's in one way or another.

animewatcha
2021-11-03, 11:08 PM
There anyway to cheese variant human into dragonborn (draconic gift and therefore legal) and still keep the feat?

Quietus
2021-11-04, 12:48 AM
Wow, they seem to have actually made AL appealing to me again

- more drop in drop out available, due to the ability to just up and make a level 5 instead of being relegated to the newb table if you haven't been through the 10 agonizing sessions it would take to get into a more established group. Not to degrade new players too hard, but it can be frustrating to spend every week with a new batch of people who have no idea what to do
- no permadeath means you don't have to worry about your 10 agonizing sessions being negated by someone else's tactical mistake, and don't have to play like a total coward to avoid it
- getting a free item at 5th is just cool
- leveling up and gaining items isn't governed by a stupid points system
- generally more laissez-faire in terms of controlling builds, from allowing combining books to allowing respecs at a whim, meaning you can just be a build tourist if that's your thing (it's sometimes mine for sure). This is super nice considering I haven't been seeking any AL play since my characters would generally be forced to choose between the subclasses I want or the spells I want, being split between Tasha's and Xanathar's in one way or another.

There's been a lot of up and down over the past few seasons. Last season (10) removed the PHB+1 rule (replacing it with a whitelist, this season's list is far more permissive), and introduced rebuilds. I think the free items at level 5 came in during season 9, alongside allowing flying tieflings. Sounds like you last played during season 7 or 8, if you were using TCP.

The big issue last season was they tried to split the AL pool up; you had "historic" (everything from previous seasons), "season 10", which was Rime of the Frostmaiden and a couple of other things, and "Masters", which was the Dreams of Red Wizards series and maybe one or two other things. Bringing those three together for season 11 was a very smart move, now the only things cordoned off are the non-FR stuff, like the Eberron campaign. I think Witchlight is also its own thing. But I can confirm that a lot of the changes they've brought forward with season 11, most notably removing the three way split of material and making what I refer to as the "magic item closet" (track all items found, choose to bring X of them based on your tier), instead of the "magic item backpack" (you can only have X number of items, and lose anything you're not immediately carrying) of the last season, has brought back a LOT of interest in AL. Discord channels that were almost entirely dead for the past several months suddenly burst back to life as soon as season 11's ruleset was announced.

I do think that WotC assuming direct control of AL has something to do with removing the PHB+1 rule, since they do want to sell their books. But I also think it's a very good change for the health of AL, potential balance issues notwithstanding.

Khrysaes
2021-11-04, 06:37 AM
There's been a lot of up and down over the past few seasons. Last season (10) removed the PHB+1 rule (replacing it with a whitelist, this season's list is far more permissive), and introduced rebuilds. I think the free items at level 5 came in during season 9, alongside allowing flying tieflings. Sounds like you last played during season 7 or 8, if you were using TCP.

The big issue last season was they tried to split the AL pool up; you had "historic" (everything from previous seasons), "season 10", which was Rime of the Frostmaiden and a couple of other things, and "Masters", which was the Dreams of Red Wizards series and maybe one or two other things. Bringing those three together for season 11 was a very smart move, now the only things cordoned off are the non-FR stuff, like the Eberron campaign. I think Witchlight is also its own thing. But I can confirm that a lot of the changes they've brought forward with season 11, most notably removing the three way split of material and making what I refer to as the "magic item closet" (track all items found, choose to bring X of them based on your tier), instead of the "magic item backpack" (you can only have X number of items, and lose anything you're not immediately carrying) of the last season, has brought back a LOT of interest in AL. Discord channels that were almost entirely dead for the past several months suddenly burst back to life as soon as season 11's ruleset was announced.

I do think that WotC assuming direct control of AL has something to do with removing the PHB+1 rule, since they do want to sell their books. But I also think it's a very good change for the health of AL, potential balance issues notwithstanding.

I remember TCP and I played during 9, I would argue that the TCP was also the "free magic item" at level 5, just not as limited as season 9. I didn't play for 10, so it makes sense I missed PHB+1 being removed.

Eberron and Van Richtens guide to ravenloft, called Ravenloft Mist Hunters, are their own thing. Witchlight is the main season adventure.

Other than because of business, I wonder if the powercreep is the reason for the removal of the PHB+1 rule, especially when you hade to select a race, a class, a spell, OR a feat from a +1 book, sometimes a couple of those, but rarely all of them, if at all.

Therefore people had stronger races/feats than some other characters which had stronger spells/subclasses, or some other mix. With all the whitelisted books available, the POTENTIAL balance between players is equalized, even if there is variance in ACTUAL balance. Since it is a cooperative game, its more of an issue for the DM, because stronger characters will have an easier time with encounters that average or weak characters may struggle with.

Quietus
2021-11-04, 09:19 AM
I remember TCP and I played during 9, I would argue that the TCP was also the "free magic item" at level 5, just not as limited as season 9. I didn't play for 10, so it makes sense I missed PHB+1 being removed.

Eberron and Van Richtens guide to ravenloft, called Ravenloft Mist Hunters, are their own thing. Witchlight is the main season adventure.

Other than because of business, I wonder if the powercreep is the reason for the removal of the PHB+1 rule, especially when you hade to select a race, a class, a spell, OR a feat from a +1 book, sometimes a couple of those, but rarely all of them, if at all.

Therefore people had stronger races/feats than some other characters which had stronger spells/subclasses, or some other mix. With all the whitelisted books available, the POTENTIAL balance between players is equalized, even if there is variance in ACTUAL balance. Since it is a cooperative game, its more of an issue for the DM, because stronger characters will have an easier time with encounters that average or weak characters may struggle with.

Absolutely fair, thank you for the corrections. I should know better than to post that close to bed! :smallbiggrin:

animewatcha
2021-11-06, 10:41 PM
How does AL feel about the DMG itself being used for sections like training for feats or whatever rewards outside the normal leveling process and such?

prototype00
2021-11-06, 10:58 PM
How does AL feel about the DMG itself being used for sections like training for feats or whatever rewards outside the normal leveling process and such?

If it isn't included in the specific AL ruleset, "House Rules" from the DMG are verboten. There is a concept of downtime for AL, which you earn via adventuring, but it's use is quite specific (trading items, level catch up e.t.c.) and none of it refers to anything that you are asking about.

Mostly so people with large amounts of Downtime accumulated from previous seasons can't overpower other characters of equal level.

Slider Eclipse
2021-11-06, 11:23 PM
If it isn't included in the specific AL ruleset, "House Rules" from the DMG are verboten. There is a concept of downtime for AL, which you earn via adventuring, but it's use is quite specific (trading items, level catch up e.t.c.) and none of it refers to anything that you are asking about.

Mostly so people with large amounts of Downtime accumulated from previous seasons can't overpower other characters of equal level.

This is true, however It should be noted that AL does have a method for doing what he requested. One of the options DM's can give T2 or higher adventurers as part of there Season 11 Dungeoncraft's (specifically anyone designed using the new rules for the feywilds) is the ability to spend a massive amount of Downtime to train in a specific feat that the author of that specific Dungeoncraft Module decides. Granted this option seems incredibly unlikely to ever come up (Short of a group abusing it on purpose) considering you need to amass literally hundreds of Downtime and then find a DM who's even offering whatever feat you're after.. but it is an option.. and then of course Survive the Module so you can actually claim the reward.

prototype00
2021-11-06, 11:48 PM
This is true, however It should be noted that AL does have a method for doing what he requested. One of the options DM's can give T2 or higher adventurers as part of there Season 11 Dungeoncraft's (specifically anyone designed using the new rules for the feywilds) is the ability to spend a massive amount of Downtime to train in a specific feat that the author of that specific Dungeoncraft Module decides. Granted this option seems incredibly unlikely to ever come up (Short of a group abusing it on purpose) considering you need to amass literally hundreds of Downtime and then find a DM who's even offering whatever feat you're after.. but it is an option.. and then of course Survive the Module so you can actually claim the reward.

Umm, yeah. Don't get your hopes up for that one, lol.

Arkhios
2021-11-07, 05:06 AM
"WHAT RULEBOOKS SHOULD I USE?

• Locathah Rising (LR)

• Variant Human Traits (PH)"

One thing in particular that strikes as both odd and amazing is that multiclassing and feats (both of which are optional rules from PH) are not allowed, but Variant Human traits are (which make use of feats) according to this part.

Nevermind, just noticed that "Chapter 6: Customization options (PH)" –line. My bad.

AL has certainly become more appealing.

prototype00
2021-11-07, 05:11 AM
One thing in particular that strikes as both odd and amazing is that multiclassing and feats (both of which are optional rules from PH) are not allowed, but Variant Human traits are (which make use of feats) according to this part.

??

According to that list AL allows the entirety of Chapter 6 of the PHB where the multiclassing and feat rules are located, hence, they are explicitly allowed.

Khrysaes
2021-11-07, 05:32 AM
??

According to that list AL allows the entirety of Chapter 6 of the PHB where the multiclassing and feat rules are located, hence, they are explicitly allowed.

I think that Arkhios may have just been confused because it wasn't explicitly stated in the list unlike variant human and either forgot or didn't know that multiclassing and feats were in chapter 6

Edit: also he noticed and must have edited his post while you were writing yours.

Arkhios
2021-11-07, 07:04 AM
I think that Arkhios may have just been confused because it wasn't explicitly stated in the list unlike variant human and either forgot or didn't know that multiclassing and feats were in chapter 6

Edit: also he noticed and must have edited his post while you were writing yours.

That's about right (emphasis mine).

animewatcha
2021-11-08, 04:36 PM

Scenario here being. I wish to start as a level 5 monk. I am using part of my 'beginner wealth' as a part of 'my origin/backstory since downtime is bound to have happend in level 1-5' to what would normally train for feat for proficiency for 4 martial weapons without having to use a feat slot. This is so that I can the longsword with my 2nd level monk tasha ki-focused ability to count it as a monk weapon since Longsword has versatile. D10 weapon as a monk weapon.

A wizard could start with keen mind feat.
A fighter could start with Revenant blade feat (where allowed).

Possible with the 'training quest' thinger from the DMG.

Quietus
2021-11-08, 06:38 PM
Scenario here being. I wish to start as a level 5 monk. I am using part of my 'beginner wealth' as a part of 'my origin/backstory since downtime is bound to have happend in level 1-5' to what would normally train for feat for proficiency for 4 martial weapons without having to use a feat slot. This is so that I can the longsword with my 2nd level monk tasha ki-focused ability to count it as a monk weapon since Longsword has versatile. D10 weapon as a monk weapon.

A wizard could start with keen mind feat.
A fighter could start with Revenant blade feat (where allowed).

Possible with the 'training quest' thinger from the DMG.

Using the "starting at level 5" option, the only thing you get to start with is the starting equipment listed in your class. I'm not sure what the 'training quest' thing you're referring to is, but I'm certain it isn't AL-legal. The only time you'll start with a feat is if you're a variant human, or custom lineage. You can definitely use 'Customizing your Origin' from Tasha's to trade out racial weapon proficiencies, such as from Elf or Dwarf, to get that longsword.

Revenant Blade is not allowed in the normal course of AL, I don't know the rules regarding the Eberron-specific side of things, but Rising from Last War may be allowed there. Consult the ALPG for confirmation.

animewatcha
2021-11-08, 07:22 PM
Took a bit to find. Dungeon master's guide. pg 230 ish to 231. Chapter 7 of treasure. "Other rewards".

If I have the Adventure's league right (cause I am currently skimming). Story reward. Event reward. Adjucated reward. 'Between Adventurs.' There are places to stick in 'training for bonus feat'.

Slider Eclipse
2021-11-08, 08:50 PM
Took a bit to find. Dungeon master's guide. pg 230 ish to 231. Chapter 7 of treasure. "Other rewards".

If I have the Adventure's league right (cause I am currently skimming). Story reward. Event reward. Adjucated reward. 'Between Adventurs.' There are places to stick in 'training for bonus feat'.

This would not apply as Adventurers league has it's own set of rules for how Rewards work. More specifically outside of people using Dungeoncraft rules to create there own modules(which in turn has it's own list of rules for what can and can not be awarded and what you can and can not do in said Dungeoncraft) Adventurers League only allows you to play specifically prewritten material designed for Adventurers League play as well as Official Hardcover Campaigns, these all have a specific set of rewards based on the Module/Hardcover in question.

Downtime as well also does not use the DMG or Players Handbook and instead uses it's own specific set of rules that limit how you get Downtime and what you can spend it on. in many ways Downtime in Adventures league is less actual time and more a houserule to introduce an entirely new resource while banning normal Downtime activities. You get 10 "Downtime" for every session you play, and Downtime can be used only in the following ways

10 Points to immediately gain a level
5 points to Permanently Trade a pair Magic Item of equal rarity between characters.
1 Point to Copy a spell of 4th level or lower to a Wizard's Spellbook, 2 for Higher Level spells.
5 points per Workweek for the purposes of Crafting Potions and Scrolls.
Very Specific rewards for doing a Domain of Delight Dungeoncraft at T2 or Higher that cost 100 Points (and 100 Gold) for a Skill Proficiency or 200 Points (and 250 Gold) for a Feat, Each of which is specific and chosen by the Author of the Dungeoncraft and not the player. There is also an option for Daily Inspiration and Tool Proficiencies for lower costs.

These are, as of Season 11 of Adventurers league, the only uses for Downtime.

dafrca
2021-11-08, 11:12 PM
You get 10 "Downtime" for every session you play, and Downtime can be used only in the following ways

10 Points to immediately gain a level
5 points to Permanently Trade a pair Magic Item of equal rarity between characters.
1 Point to Copy a spell of 4th level or lower to a Wizard's Spellbook, 2 for Higher Level spells.
5 points per Workweek for the purposes of Crafting Potions and Scrolls.
Very Specific rewards for doing a Domain of Delight Dungeoncraft at T2 or Higher that cost 100 Points (and 100 Gold) for a Skill Proficiency or 200 Points (and 250 Gold) for a Feat, Each of which is specific and chosen by the Author of the Dungeoncraft and not the player. There is also an option for Daily Inspiration and Tool Proficiencies for lower costs.

These are, as of Season 11 of Adventurers league, the only uses for Downtime.

So after each session I could level? On top of XP awarded or in place of it?

Sorry, but I am just curious. :smallsmile:

prototype00
2021-11-09, 01:20 AM

Correct you could technically level twice after every adventure played, but all you get is the level, no gold, magic items or DT days.

Quietus
2021-11-09, 02:00 AM

Correct you could technically level twice after every adventure played, but all you get is the level, no gold, magic items or DT days.

To explain - XP does not get awareded in AL. In the AL Player's Guide (ALPG), it spells out that you can level up after you complete an adventure. This can refer to a module, or a chapter in a hardcover. You also get 10 downtime when you complete an adventure. So yes, in theory, if you wanted to speedrun leveling, you could take your level up upon completing an adventure, and then immediately spend your downtime to level again.

Note that this means you will have none remaining for trading magic items, or scribing scrolls, or other general downtime activities. You also, as prototype00 pointed out, would get no gold, no magic items, and no additional downtime awarded. This means that you can get to a high level super quickly, but you'll be behind in "stuff".

Slider Eclipse
2021-11-09, 03:20 AM
To explain - XP does not get awareded in AL. In the AL Player's Guide (ALPG), it spells out that you can level up after you complete an adventure. This can refer to a module, or a chapter in a hardcover. You also get 10 downtime when you complete an adventure. So yes, in theory, if you wanted to speedrun leveling, you could take your level up upon completing an adventure, and then immediately spend your downtime to level again.

Note that this means you will have none remaining for trading magic items, or scribing scrolls, or other general downtime activities. You also, as prototype00 pointed out, would get no gold, no magic items, and no additional downtime awarded. This means that you can get to a high level super quickly, but you'll be behind in "stuff".

It should also be noted that you can also do the exact opposite, AL also states that you can choose to not take a level at the end of an Adventure if you desire. This is rather important as every Module and even every official Hardcover has a defined range of levels that it is designed to support and by extension can only be played by characters within that level range. The majority of this content (Read, most - if not all - non Hardcover content in AL) operates on a set scale known as the Tiers of Play.

Tier 1: Levels 1-4
Tier 2: Levels 5-10
Tier 3: Levels 11-16
Tier 4: Levels 17-20

These Tiers are generally based around gameplay expectations as well as the general popularity of levels. Tier 1 being designed as the "Beginner Friendly" Tier where the game is very simple and thus (in theory) easier for a new player to figure out the core mechanics of D&D in, while Tier 2 is where most players tend to prefer playing in. Needless to say this also means that Tier's 3 and 4 have far less actual content (fun Fact, with the notable exception of Dungeon of the Mad Mage, every Hardcover WotC has printed for 5e ends by level 15, with the vast majority ending around level 12 or 8)

Now, this is actually a good thing mind. as with both the ability to refuse levels at the end of an Adventure (while still getting Downtime/Gold/Magic Items) and the ability to spend Downtime to immediately level up, It's very possible for someone to remain within there preferred tier of play for effectively forever without ever needing to play at the lower levels of any Tier except for your first one. In fact it's even advisable IMHO to always sit at max level for your tier as long as possible to prepare for harder tiers of play with your preferred set of magic items.