PDA

View Full Version : Optimization regeneration + nonlethal damage immunity

Elves
2021-11-02, 04:08 PM
Probably blasè and mentioned often before, but Improved Toughness > Troll-Blooded and then becoming necropolitan gives you immunity to all damage except fire and acid at cost of just 2 feats. Pretty cool. Get fire and acid immunity and it's lol territory.

Is there any even cheaper way to get innate regen?

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-11-02, 04:26 PM
Probably blasè and mentioned often before, but Improved Toughness > Troll-Blooded and then becoming necropolitan gives you immunity to all damage except fire and acid at cost of just 2 feats. Pretty cool. Get fire and acid immunity and it's lol territory.

Is there any even cheaper way to get innate regen?You can't have regeneration if you don't have a Con score. It's in the regen description (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#regeneration).

You'd have to get immunity to nonlethal some other way (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?192722-Ways-To-Get-Immunity-To-Non-lethal-damage-without-being-a-construct).

Elves
2021-11-02, 05:04 PM
You can't have regeneration if you don't have a Con score. It's in the regen description (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#regeneration).
Ah, there you go. Too easy I guess.

I know favor of Ilmater gives nonlethal immunity. Does that thread bring anything else up?

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-11-02, 05:21 PM
Ah, there you go. Too easy I guess.

I know favor of Ilmater gives nonlethal immunity. Does that thread bring anything else up?You could be a level 4 bone knight, an 8th level crimson scourge, or a level 2 warforged juggernaut, take the Tough as Nails feat from the Conan d20 campaign setting, or cast the favor of the martyr spell.

icefractal
2021-11-02, 05:48 PM
I think the classic way is Gheden (Half-Zombie, has a Con score but is immune to nonlethal damage), but that's from Dragon (#313), so YMMV on whether it's allowed.

Elves
2021-11-02, 06:45 PM
I think the classic way is Gheden (Half-Zombie, has a Con score but is immune to nonlethal damage), but that's from Dragon (#313), so YMMV on whether it's allowed.

troll blooded is dragon as well so that's np. gheden is +1 la but that's still pretty cheap I guess.

gheden troll-blooded sounds familiar now that I think about it. I think it was used in emerald legion. so this is old hat.

previous instance of this discussion (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?452414-Mixing-Regeneration-and-Non-Lethal-Immunity)

You could be a level 4 bone knight, an 8th level crimson scourge, or a level 2 warforged juggernaut
warforged juggernaut and death knight are both pretty usable, could be interesting. If put in an appropriate build, could be better than having to suck an LA if there's no buyoff.

Gruftzwerg
2021-11-03, 06:27 AM
We had a Crimson Scourge Iron Chef competition (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?624099-Iron-Chef-Optimization-Challenge-in-the-Playground-CVIII/page4)a while ago.
My build (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?624099-Iron-Chef-Optimization-Challenge-in-the-Playground-CVIII/page4)was Hulk themed and did become (almost) "immune" to damage as lvl 20 capstone.

Doctor Despair
2021-11-03, 09:06 PM
It's a shame Warforged Juggernaut requires Adamantine Body. I was toying with the idea of something like

Half-Undead Changeling

1. Half-Elf Paragon (Racial Emulation, Endurance, Troll-Blooded)

Then going into Juggernaut later for other Ex immunities. Alas, Adamantine Body is only selectable at level 1, forcing us into one of the more well-known classes to get more Ex immunities.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-11-03, 09:30 PM
It's a shame Warforged Juggernaut requires Adamantine Body. I was toying with the idea of something like

Half-Undead Changeling

1. Half-Elf Paragon (Racial Emulation, Endurance, Troll-Blooded)

Then going into Juggernaut later for other Ex immunities. Alas, Adamantine Body is only selectable at level 1, forcing us into one of the more well-known classes to get more Ex immunities.Isn't Racial Emulation restricted to humanoids only, though? So that wouldn't work anyway.

When you use your minor change shape ability to assume the form of a humanoid creature, you can also emulate any of that humanoid's subtypes.

It's too bad the type is called "humanoid." Because humanoid is also a descriptor, and oftentimes the two do not coincide. For instance, a lot of outsiders are humanoids but not...err...humanoids, and there's often no way to know if the writers meant "humanoid" when they wrote "humanoid," or if they meant "humanoid" instead.

See, you can't even tell what I meant where. Honestly, neither can I.

Elves
2021-11-03, 10:43 PM
The subtype callout suggests it means humanoid type since humanoid subtypes work in a particular way.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-11-03, 10:47 PM
The subtype callout suggests it means humanoid type since humanoid subtypes work in a particular way.Yeah, I know, but warforged are also "humanoid" even though their type is construct. That's why I made my previous comment.

Maat Mons
2021-11-03, 11:42 PM
Renegade Mastermaker actually gets an exception on that "1st-level only" bit. So a Changeling can pick up Adamantine Body that way.

And Egoists of any race can get the signature ability of Changelings. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070314a) So a Warforged can pick up Minor Change Shape that way.

Jervis
2021-11-08, 03:43 PM
FWIW I don’t personally subscribe to the idea regen + non lethal immunity works. From my view a feature can’t convert damage to nonlethal if you can’t take nonlethal damage in the first place. But that’s more my take on how I run it. Even if it does work, and good luck finding a DM willing to let you get away with it, you’ll be taking exclusively save or dies, ability damage, and other things a lot more deadly. You’re better off using Iron Jaw from pugilist fighter to get pseudo DR to everything, at least then you just take less damage instead of seeing Alips mysteriously appearing everywhere.

Doctor Despair
2021-11-08, 06:02 PM
FWIW I don’t personally subscribe to the idea regen + non lethal immunity works. From my view a feature can’t convert damage to nonlethal if you can’t take nonlethal damage in the first place. But that’s more my take on how I run it. Even if it does work, and good luck finding a DM willing to let you get away with it, you’ll be taking exclusively save or dies, ability damage, and other things a lot more deadly. You’re better off using Iron Jaw from pugilist fighter to get pseudo DR to everything, at least then you just take less damage instead of seeing Alips mysteriously appearing everywhere.

Eh, as you said, there's enough SoS/SoL/SoD effects in the game and disabling conditions that getting immunity to all of them is rather difficult. If you devote too many resources to getting immunity to nearly everything, you end up as a martial with rather mediocre combat ability that is for all intents and purposes immortal (unless a caster with Searing Spell decides they don't like you). That means you can walk face first into a lot of things, but heaven forbid you run into:

* a social encounter

* a mobility-based challenge you are unsuited for

* a time-based encounter

* a trap that traps you rather than dealing damage (e.g. a pitfall you can't escape from...)

* something that drowns/suffocates you

* something that grapples and binds you

* something that hits you with the aforementioned SoS/SoL/SoD effects

Additionally: unless the whole party enjoys those protections, there's very few "aggro" mechanics that allow dnd characters to force opponents to try to attack the obviously (or possibly famously) immortal fighter instead of the bard standing behind them.

It's a neat idea for roleplay though, and I would never punish a player for picking it. It just means that I need to think a little more when designing encounters. I'd definitely include situations where they can shine, though, as with any character concept.

Jervis
2021-11-09, 02:30 AM
Additionally: unless the whole party enjoys those protections, there's very few "aggro" mechanics that allow dnd characters to force opponents to try to attack the obviously (or possibly famously) immortal fighter instead of the bard standing behind them.

It's a neat idea for roleplay though, and I would never punish a player for picking it. It just means that I need to think a little more when designing encounters. I'd definitely include situations where they can shine, though, as with any character concept.

Step 1: Grab Dragon Mag Silver Tongue

Step 2: Get negative diplomacy, rushed for -10 and whatever else you can slap on

Step 3: Take 0 as a full round action to make a creature hate you more than everyone else, or better yet, use Silver Tongues other neat feature to do that to someone else, making two enemies hate each other or using it to get them to hate your immortal freind

Step 4: Books get thrown, everyone make a ref save

Doctor Despair
2021-11-09, 06:02 AM
If they're already hostile, you can't make them "super hostile."

Jervis
2021-11-09, 02:14 PM
If they're already hostile, you can't make them "super hostile."

Not with that attitude you can’t

Doctor Despair
2021-11-09, 02:33 PM
Not with that attitude you can’t

With that said, we still have the Goad feat (awful), the Knight's Challenge feat (which scales with knight level and cha), and the Master of Mockery feat (poorly written and, therefore, completely broken, as is much dragon mag material).

Also of note: using Dutiful Guardian to face-tank attacks meant for your ally.