PDA

View Full Version : DM Help AMF double-check

J-H
2021-11-03, 09:12 PM
I'd like to double check that I have things right before my party encounters this.

AMF/Beholder cone:

This area is divorced from the magical energy that suffuses the multiverse. Within the sphere, spells can’t be cast, summoned creatures disappear, and even magic items become mundane.
Spells and other magical effects, except those created by an artifact or a deity, are suppressed in the sphere and can’t protrude into it. A slot expended to cast a suppressed spell is consumed. While an effect is suppressed, it doesn’t function, but the time it spends suppressed counts against its duration.

Targeted Effects. Spells and other magical effects, such as magic missile and charm person, that target a creature or an object in the sphere have no effect on that target.

Areas of Magic. The area of another spell or magical effect, such as fireball, can’t extend into the sphere. If the sphere overlaps an area of magic, the part of the area that is covered by the sphere is suppressed. For example, the flames created by a wall of fire are suppressed within the sphere, creating a gap in the wall if the overlap is large enough.

Spells. Any active spell or other magical effect on a creature or an object in the sphere is suppressed while the creature or object is in it.

Magic Items. The properties and powers of magic items are suppressed in the sphere. For example, a +1 longsword in the sphere functions as a nonmagical longsword.

A magic weapon’s properties and powers are suppressed if it is used against a target in the sphere or wielded by an attacker in the sphere. If a magic weapon or a piece of magic ammunition fully leaves the sphere (for example, if you fire a magic arrow or throw a magic spear at a target outside the sphere), the magic of the item ceases to be suppressed as soon as it exits.

Magical Travel. Teleportation and planar travel fail to work in the sphere, whether the sphere is the destination or the departure point for such magical travel. A portal to another location, world, or plane of existence, as well as an opening to an extradimensional space such as that created by the rope trick spell, temporarily closes while in the sphere.

Creatures and Objects. A creature or object summoned or created by magic temporarily winks out of existence in the sphere. Such a creature instantly reappears once the space the creature occupied is no longer within the sphere.

Magic Items
Nothing works, except (maybe?) an artifact. Are artifacts immune?

Clerics
Divine strike does not use spells, so it should work.

Paladins
Smiting does not work, but the base +d8 divine damage rider is not a spell slot effect, but an inherent effect, and does work.

Zealot Paladin Barbarian
Same as smiting. Can still do 1d6+x radiant damage 1/rd because it's not a spell or spell effect

Artificer
Infusions are all shut down. Armorer weapons are shut down because they are explicitly part of how the artificer has enchanted the armor.

Am I correct on all of these points?

quindraco
2021-11-03, 09:38 PM
I'd like to double check that I have things right before my party encounters this.

AMF/Beholder cone:

Magic Items

Clerics

Paladins
Smiting does not work, but the base +d8 divine damage rider is not a spell slot effect, but an inherent effect, and does work.

Zealot Paladin
Same as smiting. Can still do 1d6+x radiant damage 1/rd because it's not a spell or spell effect

Artificer
Infusions are all shut down. Armorer weapons are shut down because they are explicitly part of how the artificer has enchanted the armor.

Here's how you know if something is magical. (https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/sac/sage-advice-compendium#SA224) I'll recap it here, that's just so you have a citation. At least one of these criteria being met is both necessary and sufficient for magic:

Is it a magic item?
Is it a spell? Or does it let you create the effects of a spell that’s mentioned in its description?
Is it a spell attack?
Is it fueled by the use of spell slots?
Does its description say it’s magical?

So, in reverse order:

Artificer infusions are explicitly magic items, so the cone will suppress them.
Armorer armor is weird because it's divided into two subclass abilities. "Armor Model" gives no indication anywhere of magic, so it should work in an AMF. That's the thunder gauntlets, the lightning navel gun, the thp, the movement speed buff, and the advantage on Stealth checks. Arcane Armor does use the word "magic" - it says you make armor a conduit for your magic. You're well within reason as a DM deciding however you see fit here - you could declare it to be suppressed or not. However, be warned, you're playing with fire: normally, the reason Armorers are allowed to infuse their suits from levels 3 to 8 (before they get a special rule explicitly allowing it) is that Arcane Armor isn't stated anywhere to be a magic item, so most DMs don't treat them as such. If you rule that the AMF suppresses the Arcane Armor, it suggests you're also ruling the Armor can't be infused in that level range, which you may not intend. In any case, as I said, you can rule how you want - both rulings are consistent with the RAW. So far as I know, the majority of DMs treat Arcane Armor as entirely non-magical.
Zealot Paladin: Doesn't exist, so I assume you mean Zealot Barbarian. This fails the criteria test, so it's nonmagical and works.
Paladins: You have this half right, because none of the criteria are "fueled by spell slots". Both the base +1d8 and smiting work in an AMF - neither is magical.
Divine Strike works fine.
Magic items don't work - they are suppressed.
Artifacts are also suppressed, but if your PCs (or BBEGs) have artifacts, you could always give any artifacts you see fit the ability to ignore an AMF. By definition artifacts can play by any rules you want them to, as the DM.

Bonus round: Channel Divinity explicitly states the effects it generates are magical, so they're suppressed in an AMF. That means a CD can be popped in an AMF - it won't do anything yet, but if it's an effect with a duration, the duration will start ticking down, and if the Paladin or Cleric leaves the AMF, the effect will already be running, provided the effect doesn't target someone in the AMF - if it does, the other rule about the AMF making such effects bounce off will trigger. This can get very weedy, so I suggest you brief yourself on both of your PC's CD abilities (both should have at least 2).

PhantomSoul
2021-11-03, 09:47 PM
Here's how you know if something is magical. (https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/sac/sage-advice-compendium#SA224) I'll recap it here, that's just so you have a citation. At least one of these criteria being met is both necessary and sufficient for magic:

Is it a magic item?
Is it a spell? Or does it let you create the effects of a spell that’s mentioned in its description?
Is it a spell attack?
Is it fueled by the use of spell slots?
Does its description say it’s magical?

Paladins: You have this half right, because none of the criteria are "fueled by spell slots". Both the base +1d8 and smiting work in an AMF - neither is magical.

I'm guessing this was a typo or a brain fart: Divine Smite (the L2 ability) is fuelled by Spell Slots and therefore meets the criteria to count as Magical, therefore being suppressed. (Unlike the +1d8 from Improved Divine Smite, which should have been named differently as everyone should have noticed pre-publication...)

Vorpalchicken
2021-11-04, 11:57 AM
While it doesn't specifically say artifacts are not affected (yet somehow their "effects" are indeed not affected) I can't think of any DM that would rule an artifact as suppressed in an anti magic field. That ruling would have campaign shattering repercussions.

As far as channel divinity, I can see a case for at least a cleric's "ability to channel divine energy directly from your deity" to qualify as functioning as an effect "created by a deity" and therefore function.

Since paladins these days are all too fond of insisting that their power does not come from a deity then I could see not allowing their channel divinity to work but personally I might judge that on an individual basis.

Sorinth
2021-11-04, 12:57 PM
It's in the the whole ask the DM, I don't think there is a "correct" RAW ruling because the terminology used is vague. I tend to side with the whole "other magical effects" being the catch all that covers and negates the extra damage for Paladin/Cleric/Zealot.

Valmark
2021-11-04, 02:51 PM

AMF/Beholder cone:

Magic Items

Clerics

Paladins

Zealot Paladin Barbarian

Artificer

Artifacts work, the rest of the magic items don't.

Divine Strike and Improved Divine Smite I think have no decisive reply- personally I see them as magical abilities, so they wouldn't work, but there's nothing actually saying they are magical. Same for the Zealot.

Arteficer stuff doesn't work yeah, agreed.

Just wanted to note that's taken from Sage Advice rather then a rulebook, which is a bit different.