PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Tremor Domain: Earthquake Cleric

sandmote
2021-11-04, 01:49 PM
This page on the homebrewery (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/6BDA-KlRo32_).

Poseidon is the god of earthquakes as well as the god of the sea, and I wanted to add a cleric domain to represent this aspect of his portfolio. To try to keep the domain more generic, I added some fluff about gods of the riches of the earth (like Persephone's dual chthonic and farming associations) and of mountains and caves (as with Moradin and dwarven deities in other pantheons).

Several of the features are based on the 8th level earthquake spell, and others are intended to make the domain bulkier. Mechanically I expect it to play out as a controller. It is less spell dependent than the nature domain, but with better range than my previous celebration domain (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?625554-Celebration-Cleric-Domain-(Love-Domain-Replacement)). Not sure what the level of effectiveness for that is.

Fluff
Gods of the earth and its motion are highly varied, both for the reasons they upturn it and their general view of how it is to be treated. Some are particular to earthquakes and related disasters, their clerics protecting a particular space or reminding the people of the god's power. Others are deities of the upturned earth and the riches made accessible by this overturning, whether dug from the soil or grown in it. A few are associated with the mountains in particular, considered with the power of the immobile peaks and the power they bring over the earth. Whatever their deity, clerics of the tremor domain are well respected underground and in the mountains, their blessings sought and their wrath feared in equal measure.

Domain Spells
Celebration Domain Spells
Level Spell
1st Earth Tremor, Shield of Faith
3rd Earthbind, Protection From Poison
5th Erupting Earth, Meld Into Stone
7th Death Ward, Shape Stone
9th Passwall, Wall of Stone

Strength of Stone
You gain proficiency with heavy armor. When you are wielding a shield and standing on a solid surface, you can use a bonus action to use the shield as a pavise. While you use the shield as a pavise, you gain half cover from the shield, in addition to the shield's bonus to AC. This benefit lasts until you are no longer in the same space.

Channel Divinity: Fissure
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to create a fissure in the ground in front of you, which opens to trap creatures and closes to trap them.

As an action, you can present your holy symbol, and a 30 foot long and 10 foot wide fissure spreads in a line along the surface from your position. Objects of large size or smaller move with the fissure's edge, and it stops early if it would pass underneath an object that is huge or larger. The fissure reaches a depth of up to 10 feet, or 1 foot shorter than the thickness of the surface the fissure appears in, whichever is shallower. A creature standing on a spot where the fissure opens must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or fall in. A creature that successfully saves moves with the fissure's edge as it opens.

At the start of your next turn, the fissure closes. Any creature inside the fissure at the time it closes is restrained by the fissure. A restrained creature can make an Athletics (Strength) check as an action, escaping on a success.

Solid as the Land
A 6th level, you gain the weight of a boulder and your footing does not slip. You gain proficiency in Strength saving throws and you do not land prone at the end of a fall or when jumping into rough or slippery terrain.

Divine Strike
At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with divine energy. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 force damage. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

Wrath of the Shaking Earth
At 17th level, your deity bestows upon you the power to upset and reave the earth. As an action, you can a point within 120 feet. The earth tremors in a 60 foot sphere centered on that point, turning solid surfaces in the area into difficult terrain.

When you use this feature, you can choose to concentrate on the tremor (as if concentrating on a spell), and can do so for up to 1 minute. At the end of each of your turns while concentrating in this feature, each creature on the ground in the area must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is knocked prone.

You can use this feature once, and regain it at the end of a short or long rest.

Breccia
2021-11-04, 11:15 PM
I would add some clarification to the Channel Divinity that the 2nd-level power can't actually be used to rip apart constructions. Like, no fair shoving this crevasse under a wall or tower to permanently rip it in half. I'm also a little worried about some of the more classic dungeons where a 15-foot hole in the floor could be used to drop to the next floor down.

sandmote
2021-11-05, 05:20 PM
I would add some clarification to the Channel Divinity that the 2nd-level power can't actually be used to rip apart constructions. Like, no fair shoving this crevasse under a wall or tower to permanently rip it in half. I'm also a little worried about some of the more classic dungeons where a 15-foot hole in the floor could be used to drop to the next floor down.
Good point. How's the update (repeated below)?

As an action, you can present your holy symbol, and a 30 foot long and 10 foot wide fissure spreads in a line along the surface from your position. Objects of large size or smaller move with the fissure's edge, and it stops early if it would pass underneath an object that is huge or larger. The fissure reaches a depth of up to 2d10 feet, to a maximum of 1 foot shorter than the thickness of the surface the fissure appears in. A creature standing on a spot where the fissure opens must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or fall in. A creature that successfully saves moves with the fissure's edge as it opens.

Breccia
2021-11-06, 09:18 AM
Good point. How's the update (repeated below)?

Something like that, yeah. Or the fissure could just end when it hits an obstacle it can't move, like The Great Wall of Mordina. Just somehow ensure that a low-ranking acolyte of a shrine isn't conscripted as a siege weapon :)

I'm not sure the 2d10 is necessary -- a three-foot drop isn't really more than a mild inconvenience.

sandmote
2021-11-08, 03:31 PM
Something like that, yeah. Or the fissure could just end when it hits an obstacle it can't move, like The Great Wall of Mordina. Just somehow ensure that a low-ranking acolyte of a shrine isn't conscripted as a siege weapon :)

I'm not sure the 2d10 is necessary -- a three-foot drop isn't really more than a mild inconvenience. Ballistae, uncovered ladders, and rams might be small enough not to stop the fissure, but I assume most everything else used to either assault the walls or defend against them would count as an object huge or larger.

Would 2d10 + Wis mod be better for depth? "10 feet unless the DM doesn't like it," doesn't feel like a good thing to put in.

Breccia
2021-11-10, 10:10 AM
Would 2d10 + Wis mod be better for depth?

I'm actually not sure why the random depth is called for. Based on the effects, restrained, the only thing it seems to do is have clerics searching their MM to find out how tall an ogre is. I would lock it at a fixed depth, probably 10 feet, and say it works on Large creatures just to avoid the hassle. Yes, laziness is my listed reason.

sandmote
2021-11-10, 03:44 PM
I'm actually not sure why the random depth is called for. Based on the effects, restrained, the only thing it seems to do is have clerics searching their MM to find out how tall an ogre is. I would lock it at a fixed depth, probably 10 feet, and say it works on Large creatures just to avoid the hassle. Yes, laziness is my listed reason.

I'd think they'd need to look up the creature's speed, to see if they can climb out; a creature standing up to its ankle's in the fissure is intended to count as "inside the fissure" when it closes. Maybe it would be unclear if the creature is all enough to walk out of it as if it weren't there, but the extra cost of climbing is equal to the extra cost of rough terrain, so I think even most huge creatures would be slowed when trying to exit.

Anyway, change made for the purposes of simplicity.