PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Optimization Help. Are These Boons Too Unbalanced Between My Players? Opinions?

Nikushimi
2021-11-05, 03:49 AM
Hey there, I'll get right to the point. I am giving my players boons almost right out the gate due to the Mythic setting the campaign will be set in, and the fact they all worship different Greek Gods.

Basically, a gift from their chosen deity. This wasn't exactly planned, but everyone chose a Deity from the Greek Pantheon and I decided to do this and make it the setting.

However, because I won't be using the boons/starting gifts from Theros (not yet anyways) and was going to give them my own based on their chosen Deity I'm worried that some may be stronger than others given to the players.

So I am asking you for help. Are these "Blessings" equal in power or unbalanced?
-----

Druid of Spores Character
Deity: Pan, God of Nature
Blessing- Natures Knowledge: When you fail a Check involving Nature, you may turn that Check into a success. Once you do so, you cannot do so again until you've finished a Long Rest. (Also thinking of giving them Advantage or Expertise in Nature).

Cleric of the War Domain
Deity: Hercules, God of Strength and Adventure
Blessing- Herculean Might: When you fail a Check or Saving Throw involving Strength, you may turn that Check or Saving Throw into a success. Once you do so, you cannot do so again until you've finished a Long Rest. (Also thinking of giving Advantage or Expertise in Athletics instead)

Fighter Rune Knight and Wizard of Illusion
Deity: Both worship Dionysus, God of Mirth and Wine
Blessing- Party Hard: When you fail a Constitution Saving Throw involving Poison, you may turn that Saving Throw into a success. Once you do so, you cannot do so again until you've finished a Long Rest. (Also thinking of giving them Advantage when making Constitution Saving Throws vs Alcohol since both of their characters drink wine, but unsure)
----

Those are what I am thinking, but I am open to suggestions. I don't want them to be too strong, but enough that it gives them a boost and feels like it's a blessing.

Perhaps I should give them all some sort of reroll on an ability check/saving throw? I am wanting to theme them to their Deity.

I have about a week to figure this out and would appreciate everyones experience and thoughts. Thank you. :)

Kane0
2021-11-05, 04:03 AM
Perhaps it would be easier to make it 'You cant roll below X for Y', like reliable talent. That way a crafty player can't cheese it while also doing roughly the same job as allowing automatic success in some cases plus advantage/expertise (but stacks with both from other sources).

Nikushimi
2021-11-05, 04:33 AM
Perhaps it would be easier to make it 'You cant roll below X for Y', like reliable talent. That way a crafty player can't cheese it while also doing roughly the same job as allowing automatic success in some cases plus advantage/expertise (but stacks with both from other sources).

Hmm, maybe. If it was just straight "You never roll below a 10 for X" that would be a bit too strong early on. Since at level 1, with an 18 in that modifiers stat, they'd be getting a +8. So that's an automatic 18 all the time. (We did a group roll for stats, highest being a 16. Putting their +2 in that stat got them the 18). This only gets stronger as they go on to always succeeding. I don't want that. Just something to give them a chance/boost.

However, if I started it out like "You can never roll below a 5 for X" and then increase it as they level up or depending on how they perform I can see it be mitigated a bit and then it allows them to feel like they're getting stronger or a better blessing over time.

Though I'm not sure. I want to give them a boost or like, inspiration....Hmm, maybe they have an inspiration die once per long rest they can use to add to something? Hmm.

Definitely has me thinking.

Bobthewizard
2021-11-05, 06:23 AM
I love the flavor of this idea. The STR one is probably better than the other two. Nature checks never have as high of stakes as a grappling check, and poison saves aren't all that common. I'd probably take the save part out of the STR one and just make it a check to balance it with the other two.

If you wanted to simplify things, instead of 1x/day, I like your alternate ideas too. Expertise in nature, expertise in athletics, and advantage on saves vs. poison and resistance to poison damage would be less bookkeeping. The athletics one is still the best here. Maybe add survival for the druid, and give the Dionysius one's expertise in a persuasion skill, which might be nice since they don't have a CHA based character.

False God
2021-11-05, 08:34 AM
Why not some simpler language: "Once per Long Rest, you may choose a single *type of check appropriate to the character* and you automatically succeed, you may make this choice before or after you roll."

Sometimes players will see a check they know they want to pass. A check they know they must pass. Why even roll and fail first?

I think the nature one if the most limited, since the others are base scores, they'll likely see more use, I would suggest changing it to Wisdom. It's also a bit odd to me that they would be good with Nature, but not Animal Handling.

If they had a secondary effect of always having advantage on a certain skill or a more limited and specific kind of check all the time (such as always having advantage on rolls involving Constitution when drinking alcohol), I think that would be reasonable. It gives them both a one-time-only general bonus, and a always-on specific bonus.

heavyfuel
2021-11-05, 01:16 PM
Fighter Boon needs buffs. Fighters already have Con proficiency and decent Con. They are likely already saving against poison.

J-H
2021-11-05, 02:08 PM
A knowledge check is usually a lot less valuable than a saving throw or opposed skill check (disarm, grapple, etc.).

Nikushimi
2021-11-06, 04:57 AM
A knowledge check is usually a lot less valuable than a saving throw or opposed skill check (disarm, grapple, etc.).

Sure, if you want to put combat above the other aspects of the game.

That's also why I was thinking of giving just straight advantage on the checks made for Nature rather than just one auto success.