PDA

View Full Version : Another What Should I Play? Thread

NecessaryWeevil
2021-11-05, 08:17 PM
Hi, I'm joining a new campaign and gaming group in a few days at level 1. The other players are playing an Ancients Paladin and an Arcane Trickster. Seems like they've probably got tanking, scouting, talking and sort of healing covered.
I'm trying to figure out what niches are left unfilled: Crowd Control? Maybe some healing? Feeling a bit uninspired so I'm wondering if people have some good suggestions. I've just played an Arcana Cleric and before that a Shepherd Druid so not interested in those two. Books are the PHB, Tasha's, and Xanathar's.
Thanks!

Nidgit
2021-11-05, 08:30 PM
A three person party? Cleric or Druid would be the natural choices, but since you just played those, how about a Bard? No subclass jumps out to me in particular, just whatever seems fun!

Another good option could be am Abjurer Wizard. You can't heal, but wards are nearly as good and obviously control won't be a problem.

Khrysaes
2021-11-05, 08:42 PM
Hi, I'm joining a new campaign and gaming group in a few days at level 1. The other players are playing an Ancients Paladin and an Arcane Trickster. Seems like they've probably got tanking, scouting, talking and sort of healing covered.
I'm trying to figure out what niches are left unfilled: Crowd Control? Maybe some healing? Feeling a bit uninspired so I'm wondering if people have some good suggestions. I've just played an Arcana Cleric and before that a Shepherd Druid so not interested in those two. Books are the PHB, Tasha's, and Xanathar's.
Thanks!

Bard, cleric, druid, divine soul sorcerer, Celestial Warlock

All full casters
All great for CC and some healing.

I think I would actually suggest the Celestial Tomelock build from Eclectic collection of fun and effective builds.

Tome warlock will get your party a ton of versatility through the ritual spells.
Celestial will provide some healing.

Alternatively, in Tasha's are broken cleric options.
Peace cleric level 1 is not dependant on cleric level, and will allow your party to teleport around. Can multiclass 1 level with a defensive character like that paladin, or a bear totem barbarian.

Twilight cleric level 2+, channel divinity for an AOE non-concentration replenishing pool of Temp HP dependent on your cleric level works something like healing, more preventative than restorative, but maybe similar to your arcana cleric.

Hairfish
2021-11-05, 08:43 PM
Dwarven luchador. Get the DM's buy-in on using grappling to climb Huge+ creatures.

e: as a College of Blades bard. Expertise in athletics, acrobatics, and performance. Carry a bandolier of throwing darts for ranged attacks and for when you get Animate Objects.

Kane0
2021-11-05, 09:05 PM
Second cleric, bard, druid or warlock

Sorinth
2021-11-05, 10:02 PM
A full caster would obviously provide for the most well rounded party but it's not all that necessary. I'd be tempted to go Artificer, probably Artillerist and using Protector Cannon more often then not.

KorvinStarmast
2021-11-05, 10:05 PM
I'm trying to figure out what niches are left unfilled: Crowd Control? Maybe some healing? Feeling a bit uninspired so I'm wondering if people have some good suggestions. I've just played an Arcana Cleric and before that a Shepherd Druid so not interested in those two. Books are the PHB, Tasha's, and Xanathar's. Thanks! Celestial 'Lock (tome pact) or Bard(Lore) fits. Both are good support casters, and they each feel quite different from the other.

Greywander
2021-11-05, 10:28 PM
Hmm, maybe your party needs some ranged support? You could go for my Eldritch Sniper build. Genie warlock 7 / Dragon sorcerer 6. The trick is that you take an efreet or marid as your patron to add fire or cold damage to your EB, which then makes it qualify for the dragon sorc's Elemental Affinity. With Agonizing Blast, Genie's Wrath, and Elemental Affinity, the first bolt that hits will deal 1d10 + 16 damage, or about twice the damage of your other bolts. This helps you keep consistent DPR since you only have to hit once to get all that bonus damage. The reason to take warlock to 7 is to get 4 invocations, which you'll need for Agonizing Blast, Repelling Blast, Eldritch Spear, and Voice of the Chain Master. Go Chain pact to get a spotter who can help you find targets. Take Spell Sniper and the Distant Spell metamagic for even more range (you'll probably end up using Distant Spell more for non-EB spells, as you'll rarely be out of range for EB, but will likely be out of range for other spells). For melee, take Booming Blade and keep a dagger handy; remember, Genie's Wrath and (therefore) Elemental Affinity will also apply to Booming Blade.

It's about as long range as you can currently get, and the damage output even in close quarters is still rather impressive. As both a warlock and sorcerer, you have a lot of handy spells available as well. You can't bring in fully online until 13th level, but even with just Agonizing Blast and Genie's Wrath (so by 2nd level) you should be doing fine. Should I get the chance to play this build, I think I'd want to add a bit of rogue to it as well (probably assassin for those one-shot sniper kills), it's just sad that Sneak Attack doesn't work with EB (it does work with BB, though, so if you get caught in melee do take advantage of that).

Bobthewizard
2021-11-05, 10:28 PM
Start with one level of order cleric for heavy armor and most importantly, voice of authority. You also get bless, healing word and cure wounds to help with buffing and some healing.

Then go evocation wizard the rest of the way but mostly for sculpt spells. Sculpt spells still targets your allies, triggering voice of authority, they just automatically make their save and take no damage.

The two party members, a paladin and a rogue, are the best party members you can have for this build. Casting thunderwave/shatter/fireball and sculpting out the other PCs, you give the rogue an off-turn sneak attack or the paladin an extra chance to smite.

NecessaryWeevil
2021-11-05, 10:59 PM
Sculpt spells still targets your allies, triggering voice of authority, they just automatically make their save and take no damage.

That's really clever but I wonder if it works? Don't most AoE spells target a point/area, rather than creatures?

Greywander
2021-11-05, 11:37 PM
That's really clever but I wonder if it works? Don't most AoE spells target a point/area, rather than creatures?
5e is a bit fuzzy on what constitutes a "target". Yeah, AoE spells tend to target a point, but any affected creature is also considered a "target" of the spell. So I think it would work.

Do note that apparently Voice of Authority only lets one ally make a reaction attack, so you could only trigger it for either the paladin or the rogue, not both at the same time. Still pretty good, though.

Khrysaes
2021-11-06, 03:52 AM
I've been looking at Giftlock https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25029862&postcount=1095

OR
Alternatively the Celestial Generalist https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?583957-An-Eclectic-Collection-of-Fun-and-Effective-Builds

I would use the giftlock setup of 1 cleric/x warlock, regardless of picking Chainpact (gift lock), or Tome Pact (celestial Generalist)

For the giftlock, as an alternative to 1 cleric/19 warlock, you can take 1st level sorcerer/1 cleric/18 warlock.

You lose an ASI, but start with proficiency in con saves, which you use an ASI for anyways.

Technically you also lose +1 con from the ASI, but you gain some more cantrips and a first level spell slot.

Divine Soul is redundant with the cleric level, so maybe something like Clockwork or Draconic sorcerer.

But either way both will provide some use as a healer/controller, depending on spell selection.

Notes: You are limited on spell slots, so your EB and cantrips do most of the controlling.

So if you can swing Mark of healing halfling, then 1 life cleric / x wizard would work well and provide you with more spell slots while keeping some healing abilities.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24670442&postcount=496

Eldariel
2021-11-06, 06:25 AM
Any long range character with CC. Bladesinger Archer, Swords Bard Archer, Sorlock, even Evoker or straight Warlock or some such works.

Bobthewizard
2021-11-06, 06:43 AM

It's a confusing use of the wording on their part. Anyone affected by a spell is the spell's target. The fireball spell clears this up. The explosion centers on a point you choose in range. Then "Each creature in a 20-foot radius must make a Dexterity saving throw. A target takes 8d6 fire damage."

So the creatures in the effect are the targets, and the target is not the point of origin or the area.

Do note that apparently Voice of Authority only lets one ally make a reaction attack, so you could only trigger it for either the paladin or the rogue, not both at the same time. Still pretty good, though.

That is correct. I did say "or" but it's good to make that more clear.

RogueJK
2021-11-06, 09:23 AM
That party would benefit from some ranged attacks, control casting, utility casting, AoE casting, and additional healing.

Therefore, the obvious choices are :

A) Lore Bard, possibly dipping a level of Hexblade for armor/shield and Eldritch Blast ranged attacks, or Life Cleric for armor/shield and additional boosts to your healing spells. Lots of control/debuff spells, and a decent amount of utility casting. Light on AoE, but still gets some solid options like Hypnotic Pattern and eventually Synaptic Static, and can grab something like Fireball as a Magical Secret. Can boost utility casting with the Ritual Caster Wizard feat.

B) Celestial Tomelock. Gets you lots of utility casting from Book of Ancient Secrets and additional utility cantrips, plus Agonizing/Repelling Eldritch Blast for solid ranged attacks. Lighter on the control/AoE casting due to limited spell slots, but has access to some good spell options. And makes a solid secondary healer. Can also hold their own in melee when needed if built towards that; see the Celestial Generalist from the Fun/Eclectic Builds thread for inspiration: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?583957-An-Eclectic-Collection-of-Fun-and-Effective-Builds

C) Divine Soul Sorcerer, possibly dipping a level of Hexblade for armor/shield and EB, or Life Cleric for armor/shield and additional boosts to your healing spells. More AoE/control casting options than the others, along with additional spells available from the Cleric spell lists. Like the Bard, could benefit from Ritual Caster Wizard for additional ritual utility casting.

NecessaryWeevil
2021-11-06, 12:28 PM
These all sound like good choices! I've been trying to keep away from Charisma classes because I don't want to compete for the Face role, but just because I have Charisma doesn't mean I have to use it, I guess.

RogueJK
2021-11-06, 12:45 PM
I've been trying to keep away from Charisma classes

In that case, how about an Artificer. You get some support and healing, some AoE and control, ranged attack capabilities, and it's INT-based not CHA-based.

Armorer or Artillerist for more ranged attack/control/AoE. Alchemist for more support/healing. Or even Battle Smith with a ranged weapon, with the Steel Defender helping to pad out the small 3 person party.

Then take Ritual Caster Wizard for added utility.

Eldariel
2021-11-06, 12:48 PM
These all sound like good choices! I've been trying to keep away from Charisma classes because I don't want to compete for the Face role, but just because I have Charisma doesn't mean I have to use it, I guess.

Well, simple Bladesinger would hit all the slots, not doubledip on Cha (but there's double Int for what that's worth though familiar covers Perception so you get some Wis), and not make you the face. And double Int isn't bad at all, since Int checks are generally "roll and if you don't meet the check, you miss out on crucial information/loot/whatever" so double rolling is pretty darn useful.

You could even build the ultimate omnisinger in Jorasco Halfling ranged Bladesinger to literally just do everything in the party.

NecessaryWeevil
2021-11-06, 12:56 PM
(but there's double Int for what that's worth)

I'm not especially familiar with Bladesinger; I'm note sure what double Int means.

You could even build the ultimate omnisinger in Jorasco Halfling ranged Bladesinger to literally just do everything in the party.

Heh. Yeah, it's a shame we're not using Eberron books.

Eldariel
2021-11-06, 01:16 PM
I'm not especially familiar with Bladesinger; I'm note sure what double Int means.

Ah, by double Int I just meant having two Int characters in the party rolling Arcanas and Histories and Investigations and such (since you already have an Artificer). Simple (Half-)Elf Bladesinger would be pretty good though you'd definitely want e.g. Herbalism Kit proficiency or something for e.g. healing pots (or even Magic Initiate on Vuman/CLineage for Goodberry for your familiar and Unseen Servant to pick up dropped allies).

Greywander
2021-11-06, 07:02 PM
(since you already have an Artificer)
I think you mean Arcane Trickster? But yeah, I suppose if we wanted to round out the party, we'd want some kind of WIS class. That said, I wouldn't worry about it too much, as long as not everyone is dumping WIS and the party picks up some WIS skills.

Khrysaes
2021-11-06, 09:57 PM
I think you mean Arcane Trickster? But yeah, I suppose if we wanted to round out the party, we'd want some kind of WIS class. That said, I wouldn't worry about it too much, as long as not everyone is dumping WIS and the party picks up some WIS skills.

Fey Ranger can work.

Gets all the Wis based skills

Wis based spellcasting

And Wis based Charisma Skills.

Probably would be better as a multiclass with druid, cleric, monk, fighter, barbarian, rogue... pretty much everything.

NecessaryWeevil
2021-11-08, 04:25 PM
Many thanks everyone! I went with Lucien Darkwood, Half-elven Celestial Warlock. He's twenty years old, very goth/emo and totally into the whole Warlock thing.
His Patron is Sunflower, a dopey unicorn who prefers to spend her days rolling in the green grass, admiring rainbows and singing duets with songbirds.
Sunflower is not the patron he expected. Sunflower doesn't really know what to do with a warlock. Should be fun.

BerzerkerUnit
2021-11-08, 06:13 PM
A Genie Pact Harengon Warlock named Bugs.