PDA

View Full Version : Pet Peeves

Emperor Demonking
2007-11-18, 07:12 AM
What are your pet peeves in D&D and this board.

D&dD: DMs that trick your exalted character and then makes him fall.

leperkhaun
2007-11-18, 07:25 AM
1) players who cant seem to learn the rules. A friend of mine on EVERY character ALWAYS gets his AC, Attack bonus, and Skills wrong. Despite the fact he has been playing for 2 years.

2) players who while they dont play the Ubercharger, play his little brother that does only 1k damage a round, while in a campaign where that level of power is inappropriate.

3) players who constantly complain when DM;'s dont allow them to make/do obviously overpowered stuff. Discuss with the DM, and live with the ruling.

4) DMs who enjoy killing the party. Iv had a DM flat out tell us that we were not going to survive. Having hard challanges and the chance of death is fine, trying to plot so we dont survive is a whole nother thing.

5) DM's who railroad (depends). If the party figures out a clever way to beat a bad guy, let them.....dont railroad the party.

6) DM's who cant adjust the campaign along the way.

7) players/DMs who take the game personally or get heated. its a game relax.

UserClone
2007-11-18, 07:50 AM
8) Micromanaging DMs: No, I didn't buy my horse a winter blanket. He can sleep on the cold, hard ground, like me. No I didn't purchase a bedroll. No I will not take your stupid subdual damage from the cold, it's only August. Yes, well I know that freak cold snaps can happen, but...whatever, how much? 2d6?!?!? WTF?!?!?

Tengu
2007-11-18, 08:11 AM
My biggest pet peeve are people who think that RPG = DND (or d20), and the idea about other games does not even cross their mind.

Orzel
2007-11-18, 08:33 AM
People who use the werewolf mentalist's powers to call mega-wolves and use their bodies for cover.

People who never use the Stamina points to dodge.

People who stack attack tattoos on the magic physicalists

oh wait D&D... errr...

Druids who never come out of wild shape for more than 5 minutes.

Tequila Sunrise
2007-11-18, 09:06 AM
"I'm right, you're wrong!"

Shas aia Toriia
2007-11-18, 09:13 AM
8) Micromanaging DMs: No, I didn't buy my horse a winter blanket. He can sleep on the cold, hard ground, like me. No I didn't purchase a bedroll. No I will not take your stupid subdual damage from the cold, it's only August. Yes, well I know that freak cold snaps can happen, but...whatever, how much? 2d6?!?!? WTF?!?!?

Enter my DM right now.

"[Shas'aia Toriia], did you buy your clothing for your character? Well, since you forgot to put any CP in your money pile, you pay with 1 GP. And the man doesn't have change. Next, where did you buy your boots? Did you even remember to get them? Don't forget, you can't buy Magic Items, since there's no big K-Mart for magic items."

Horrible. :smallfrown:

Crow
2007-11-18, 10:08 AM
One of my players constantly referring to gold, silver, and copper as "gil".

Annoying references to the Final Fantasy MMO while trying to play D&D. If you would rather be playing an MMO at home, by yourself, please don't show up. This isn't Final Fantasy.

Wraithy
2007-11-18, 10:33 AM
people who interrupt an IC monologue for a whole OOC conversation about food, just wait till I'm finished, it'll only take a few F***ing seconds!

AKA_Bait
2007-11-18, 11:17 AM
D&D: Players who throw a bloody fit when their character gets killed. And refuse to participate in any way for the rest of the session (I usually offer them a NPC to play for the rest of the session if someone get's killed)

D&D: DM's who simply won't allow a player in their game to get killed, even if the character is TRYING to sacrifice themselves for the greater good.

D&D: Players who think that a lower level spell, like detect magic, should perform the function of a higher level spell, like see invisibility.

Boards: Posters who think that not using something in the books or setting up a world disidentical to that in the DMG is using rule 0 even though the books explicitly allow DM's to do this and give suggestions on the best ways to manage it.

Egill
2007-11-18, 11:19 AM
One of the first DM's I had:

First night of camp.
DM: Who bought bedrolls?
Players:...
*crickets*
DM: OK, spellcasters cannot cast adequately rest on hard ground in order to recover their spells, and everyone will be fatigued the next morning.

He eased up later, and turned out to be a really good DM, but I think he wanted more micromanaging than we did.

Archangel Yuki
2007-11-18, 11:34 AM
Players that would have us play a no magic d20modern game. Then they get pissed at the natural laws of the universe.

Me: "Uhh...Gravity? Inertia? Any of this ringing a bell?"

Players: "WHAT?!?!"

Sstoopidtallkid
2007-11-18, 11:35 AM
Hey, if we can figure out a way for the spells to work like that, then they should work like that. The game doesn't have to obey physics, it just has to be internally consistant. I don't care if the moon is made of cheese, but if you say it is, I should be able to spoil it if I want to.
In fact, thanks for the idea about the Detect Magic, you saved me a spell slot.

Ne0
2007-11-18, 11:40 AM
People who make a new thread every 5 seconds about things that have probably already been discussed before. Preferably just posting one line with a vague description, and then moving on to the next thread... :smallannoyed:

Yes, you all know who I'm talking about...

Winterwind
2007-11-18, 11:48 AM
People who don't treat NPCs as full worth human beings (as in, go on a killing spree, since these are just abstract, imaginative things, and not - in the reality of their character - people like you and me).

horseboy
2007-11-18, 12:06 PM

First night of camp.
*crickets*
DM: OK, spellcasters cannot cast adequately rest on hard ground in order to recover their spells, and everyone will be fatigued the next morning.

He eased up later, and turned out to be a really good DM, but I think he wanted more micromanaging than we did.
Okay, why would you not have a bedroll?

Crow
2007-11-18, 12:16 PM
Players that would have us play a no magic d20modern game. Then they get pissed at the natural laws of the universe.

Me: "Uhh...Gravity? Inertia? Any of this ringing a bell?"

Players: "WHAT?!?!"

Interesting D20 Modern story;

One our guys (the one who plays the Final Fantasy MMO), was going to play D20 Modern with us. He was about to roll up a character. He takes a look at the cover of the main rulebook, seeing the guy in dreads with the yellow sword. He then says in mocking seriousness, "What an idiot. Only a dumbass brings a sword to a gunfight!" Then laughs at his own dumb joke.

He then proceeds to make a melee-oriented character who uses a three-section staff!

Then to add to the irony, while the rest of the party is utilizing cover, caught in a vicious gunfight, he gets shot and killed while trying to get close to some bad guys to wail on them with his staff. He gets all pissed that he was killed in a single shot.

My last character didn't have any money for it. He was relying on the new party he joined to buy him one...didn't happen.
Appearantly guns aren't supposed to be dangerous, and you can "obviously" be shot multiple times before you go down. Matter of fact.

SoD
2007-11-18, 12:24 PM
Hmm.

Players who, no matter what, always seem to have at least one 18 on their character sheet at first level. And nobody sees them roll the dice...Every. Single. Character.

Players who don't bother talking. ''There's an orc? I attack it!'' ''But...it's unarmed.'' ''Great! Unless it's a monk. Ah well, bottom line, it's an orc!''

Players who tend to combine the two of those...

Players who won't let me play a chitine paladin with a monsterous spider mount, just because they're aracnophobic. You know what? The DMs aracnophobic. He allowed it, so you shouldn't complain.

Players who, after over a year, won't stop complaining about how my character woke his character up and he couldn't cast spells. Apparantly that led to his characters death. I'd argue that the fact that he killed my character (proficient in greatsword) in front of the rest of the party (including a pally, a barbarian, a rogue and a bard NPC, as well as two other NPCs) for waking him up led to his death. It's a good story!

You know what? That player full stop. Actually, no, that's a lie. He's a great guy, he just overreacts and takes stuff personally. :smallbiggrin:

horseboy
2007-11-18, 12:27 PM
Then to add to the irony, while the rest of the party is utilizing cover, caught in a vicious gunfight, he gets shot and killed while trying to get close to some bad guys to wail on them with his staff. He gets all pissed that he was killed in a single shot.
Apparently guns aren't supposed to be dangerous, and you can "obviously" be shot multiple times before you go down. Matter of fact.
Yeah, if I had a dollar for every futz I had to teach to fear guns in SR.......

My last character didn't have any money for it. He was relying on the new party he joined to buy him one...didn't happen.Did they not equip him at all or just overlook the obvious?

Crow
2007-11-18, 12:32 PM
Yeah, if I had a dollar for every futz I had to teach to fear guns in SR.......

I love SR (pre-4th edition). It is the crucible in which many paranoid and cautious players were wrought.

Did they not equip him at all or just overlook the obvious?

He rolled crap on his money roll. Armor, shield, weapon, waterskin, flint/steel, backpack. Broke. Or something close to it.

WrstDmEvr
2007-11-18, 12:32 PM
Players who, after I tell them to roll 5d6 and take away lowest two for abilities, say, "Where's the d20?"

Sofaking
2007-11-18, 12:35 PM
People who don't treat NPCs as full worth human beings (as in, go on a killing spree, since these are just abstract, imaginative things, and not - in the reality of their character - people like you and me).

Yeah, I have players like that. The first one is a psychic warrior, and he is always charming the NPCs. And after the stupid elf ranger started a fight in a bar in an obviously LG aligned city, the psychic warrior stabs the bartender in the face when he tried to break it up. So, while on the run the druid decides to leave her dire bat animal companion in the house of a elderly dwarf they charmed. Well, after some hidden will saves, the city guard discovers the bat and it kills four guards, of course! Anyway, they eventually all escape the city, carnage behind. So, I send a high level bounty hunter after them, and he captures the party's cleric (The Druid ran away in the first round). I explain to her how she is shackled in the back of a cart. So,they fly around on the bat and I put a completely random caravan down below them. So what do they do... entangle the caravan and start killing everyone. At this point the druid has had it and dismisses the spell and the survivors get away. Oh, and what do they do with the dead elves, "Lets just bury them on the side of the road." Sheesh....

de-trick
2007-11-18, 12:55 PM
-1 person is always the party leader, and complains when everyone else wants some one else to be

-when 1 person gets all the magic items and doesn't share

-when a player cares too much for the NPC's, The DM gave lots of good magic items but she gives the npc's all the magic items even though they have lots and can get any they want(members of a thief guild)

-female player treats all PC's like babys but NPC's are treated like kings

Sofaking
2007-11-18, 01:06 PM
-female player treats all PC's like babys but NPC's are treated like kings

I have female players who always try to seduce the male NPCs...

Douglas
2007-11-18, 01:08 PM
In fact, thanks for the idea about the Detect Magic, you saved me a spell slot.
Good luck getting it to work for you in combat. It would probably go something like this:

Round 1: Detect Magic and concentrate: "yep, magic in the area"
Round 2: Concentrate: "hmm, two faint and one moderate aura"
Round 3: Concentrate: "Aha, there he is!"
Rest of Party: "Duh, he's been sneak attacking everyone for the past three rounds, now could you please do something actually useful?"

Alternate sequence:
Round 2 or 3 b: Concentrate: "Damn, he moved out of the area"
Next Round: guess which way he moved and start over from Round 1

bosssmiley
2007-11-18, 01:33 PM
Fetishistic obedience to the RAW when they fly in the face of both common sense and plot. "The rules serve the game..." :smallannoyed:

Also: pic related (http://bunny.frozenreality.co.uk/index.php?id=154).

de-trick
2007-11-18, 01:38 PM

I feel your pain

MeklorIlavator
2007-11-18, 02:21 PM
Players who won't buy equipment or actually use their class abilities, when the campaign is supposed to be very difficult. I have both in my current gestalt campaign, though the second one died(surprised?).

Throwing a fit when you're reincarnated in something other than your original race, even though it doesn't mechanicall impact your character, or even impact your roleplaying of said character(this was the guy who didn't want to use the abilities of his ranger in his ranger//scout).

brian c
2007-11-18, 03:05 PM

Why would you have a bedroll? It's not like there are any rules for sleeping, just like there are no rules for eating so people usually don't bother to buy trail rations. It's perfectly reasonable for a DM to make rules about either of these things, but then the players need to be made aware of these rules before purchases are made ("Oh, by the way guys, you should make sure you have food and a bedroll, otherwise you'll take hunger and fatigue penalties" instead of "Well now that you don't have a bedroll or any food, your character starves to death. And he's fatigued. Roll a new character")

horseboy
2007-11-18, 03:14 PM
Why would you have a bedroll? It's not like there are any rules for sleeping, just like there are no rules for eating so people usually don't bother to buy trail rations. It's perfectly reasonable for a DM to make rules about either of these things, but then the players need to be made aware of these rules before purchases are made ("Oh, by the way guys, you should make sure you have food and a bedroll, otherwise you'll take hunger and fatigue penalties" instead of "Well now that you don't have a bedroll or any food, your character starves to death. And he's fatigued. Roll a new character")

*Shakes his Sarcast-o-tron, making sure it's working*

Quietus
2007-11-18, 03:25 PM
Players who fail to read in a play-by-post. Yes, I DID send messengers to your character, twice, over a week ago. Two separate posts contained entire paragraphs devoted to this action. So don't gripe when I come down on you for not upholding your end of an in-character deal you made.

Also, people who simply fail to post in a play-by-post. Seriously, guys, you're just dragging the stuff down. I don't like having to resort to a "24 hours or you fail miserably" rule.

Swordguy
2007-11-18, 04:36 PM

You can't be annoyed at that. You play Shadowrun. That's the whole point of the game.

:smalltongue:

brian c
2007-11-18, 05:38 PM

Oh, a machine that measures sarcasm. Now that's a useful invention.

horseboy
2007-11-18, 05:51 PM
Oh, a machine that measures sarcasm. Now that's a useful invention.
Well, it is for the internet. :smalltongue:

Winterwind
2007-11-18, 05:51 PM
You can't be annoyed at that. You play Shadowrun. That's the whole point of the game.

:smalltongue::smallbiggrin:
Okay, you got me there.

Seriously though, yes, that's true to a certain degree, but there is a difference between
a) players knowing how psychopathic it is to wantonly commit mass-murder, and either roleplay their character accordingly (i.e. emphasise the character's struggle between his remaining humanity and complete dehumanisation), or portray the character's struggle to not become that way (i.e. emphasise the character's qualms to kill and the immorality of what they are forced to do), and
b) players who miss all of this, but think it is cool to mow down an entire disco for no reason whatsoever.

The difference being that the first kind are players I want to play with, the second kind are not. :smallwink:

Woot Spitum
2007-11-18, 05:53 PM
Kleptomaniac rogues who try to steal everything that isn't nailed down (and some things that are) from literally anyone in any situation, regardless of how much trouble it gets the rest of the party into.

tyckspoon
2007-11-18, 05:56 PM
Kleptomaniac rogues who try to steal everything that isn't nailed down (and some things that are) from literally anyone in any situation, regardless of how much trouble it gets the party into.

They're not thieves, man. They're adventure game heroes! You never know when a series of unlikely circumstances will coincide such that the Hummel figurine you stole borrowed from the old lady with the cat will be exactly what you need.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-18, 05:58 PM
:haley:, Anybody?

Peeves: "ToB is too anime!"

"Pun-Pun is illegal (It isn't, you oaf! You just need a doormat DM!)!"

"Every good drow is a Drizz't clone (First off, it's NG [though Drizz't is an NG in a CG disguise], second, I didn't even take TWF, third, I'm a psywar!)!"

Jannex
2007-11-18, 06:28 PM
People who assume that having "Rogue" written at the top of your character sheet means that your character is an untrustworthy, amoral kleptomaniac who wants nothing more than to rob his party members blind.

Low-level arcane spells that render skills (especially skills requiring heavy skill-point investment to be effective) redundant or obsolete. Example: Knock (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/knock.htm).

daggaz
2007-11-18, 07:04 PM

First night of camp.
*crickets*

Heh, I *always buy a bedroll. And a waterflask, and some iron rations. They will never be used in a game, but I have them. It makes the catgirls happy.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-18, 07:18 PM
Same here. I sadly compensate by dumping a Murlynd's spoon in a circle of teleportation, so that, eventually, it goes so fast it travels through time, and so I can use it at any time if I stop it magically so as to avoid losing a hand.

Did I kill some catgirls? I Wish they are revived (catgirls are revived and look at Azerian with adoring eyes before returning to the businesses).

shadow_archmagi
2007-11-18, 07:41 PM
No rules about sleep? Hm. No wonder I couldn't find any..

Is there, aside from spellcasting requirements, ANY reason to sleep at all?

They're not thieves, man. They're adventure game heroes! You never know when a series of unlikely circumstances will coincide such that the Hummel figurine you stole borrowed from the old lady with the cat will be exactly what you need.

The motto of King's Quest players:

Take everything that isn't nailed down. If it is nailed down, look for loose nails, or solve the nail-removal puzzle.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-18, 07:44 PM
I'm pretty sure the DM's guide DID say something about not getting enough rest and being fatigued or exhausted the next day.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-11-18, 08:04 PM
Times like this I wish the PHB had just an Adventurer's Pack for sale:

"This pack contains everything you need to survive on the road, not including rations."

Honestly, how many of us could write a list, on the spot, of everything we'd need to survive walking/riding across 3 states without using restaurants or hotels? Now try writing the same list using only items available 600 years ago.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-18, 08:10 PM
Which is a good reason to pump Survival up. Long item lists, Buh-Bye!

Woot Spitum
2007-11-18, 09:03 PM
True, but attempting to pickpocket the captain of the city guard after he has arrested you and, along with a whole squad of the city guard is staring at you suspiciously when you are only level 1 is a little excessive.

I could live with kleptomaniacs if the world worked like King's Quest. 1% the player takes some random, mundane object, while the other 99% of the time avoice from the sky says, "There's no reason to touch that.":smallamused:

horseboy
2007-11-19, 12:27 AM
Times like this I wish the PHB had just an Adventurer's Pack for sale:

"This pack contains everything you need to survive on the road, not including rations."

Honestly, how many of us could write a list, on the spot, of everything we'd need to survive walking/riding across 3 states without using restaurants or hotels? Now try writing the same list using only items available 600 years ago.
Back pack, bedroll, rope 50', cleric that can cast create food and water (baring that, horse, with bit, bridle, saddle, saddle blanket, saddle bags full of food, waterskins and brandy[brandy to alter the pH in the water to inhibit bacterial growth]), tent, flint & steel, tender box, lantern bullseye, oil(x 5), torch, Shirt (x2), pants (x2), boots, cloak with hood, gloves, belt, weapon sheath, spare money pouch under armour to keep non copper in. That'd be the basics baring environmental specifics, without looking in a book that comes to immediate mind.

Ever get the feeling that you've been playing these games too long?

Edit: Crap, totally forgot chalk. Chalk (x5) Preferably different colors.

JadedDM
2007-11-19, 02:03 AM
People who insist on adding a random apostrophe in Drizzt's name.

Drizzt Do'Urden

Notice, the apostrophe is in the surname, not the first. :smallcool:

Roderick_BR
2007-11-19, 08:40 AM
And why should I? Let's say I'm a druid or ranger. I think that bedrolls would be too "civilized" for them, something city dwellers use to feel a bit comfortable in the wilderness, where druids and ranger make their homes.
Bedrolls should be encouraged under bad conditions (cold nights, places with only hard rock to sleep on, character needs extra rest for healing, etc). But pulling a weird rule out of the blue that a guy can't get a normal rest is... weird.

warmachine
2007-11-19, 10:54 AM
Incoherent and inconsistent physics: In Necropolis by Gary Gygax, one trap involved electric bars but they couldn't be short circuited with a crowbar. Deviating from real world physics would be fine if AD&D physics was defined or there was some way a character could have the skill to pull clever tricks. In a later encounter of the same book, the players were expected to short circuit some electrical golems with water.

Official, broken items: I can ignore broken rules because they're obvious but I can't simply buy cool items in Magic Item Compendium. I wanted a female paladin to buy the Pendant of the Unicorn because the picture looked good. The DM blocked it because it was way underpriced. And the book is supposed to be fine tuned after player feedback. My ass. Instead, it's a book nobody has the game balance confidence to use.

horseboy
2007-11-19, 12:10 PM
And why should I? Let's say I'm a druid or ranger. I think that bedrolls would be too "civilized" for them, something city dwellers use to feel a bit comfortable in the wilderness, where druids and ranger make their homes.
Bedrolls should be encouraged under bad conditions (cold nights, places with only hard rock to sleep on, character needs extra rest for healing, etc). But pulling a weird rule out of the blue that a guy can't get a normal rest is... weird.
I really don't see how having a bed roll is a weird rule idea out of the blue. Sure, a druid or a ranger or anyone else with a high enough wilderness survival skill could improvise one. It'd still hold up the party an hour or two every night, eventually the party is going to get annoyed and buy one for them.
A druid/ranger would still have a bedroll, it'd just look something different from a "civilized" persons bedroll.

Douglas
2007-11-19, 02:44 PM
Official, broken items: I can ignore broken rules because they're obvious but I can't simply buy cool items in Magic Item Compendium. I wanted a female paladin to buy the Pendant of the Unicorn because the picture looked good. The DM blocked it because it was way underpriced. And the book is supposed to be fine tuned after player feedback. My ass. Instead, it's a book nobody has the game balance confidence to use.
Your DM thinks that Cure Moderate Wounds and Neutralize Poison 1/day plus a little bit of lay on hands is seriously worth more than 6000 gp? The one and only circumstance in which I would even consider spending that much on it (disregarding rp reasons) is if the party encounters poison on a regular basis and had no other means of dealing with it. If anything, it's overpriced.

Blanks
2007-11-19, 02:47 PM
I hate how some players think they can ignore logic. Players who don't buy flint and steel and find it hard to light a fire. Or don't buy food because it is expensive. Or buy a plate mail for a desert campaign.

Come on, its a fantasy game but it isn't "lets forget reality" its "reality + magic"

Sleet
2007-11-19, 03:08 PM
I hate how some players think they can ignore logic. Players who don't buy flint and steel and find it hard to light a fire. Or don't buy food because it is expensive.

For some players, keeping track of that sort of stuff is not where the fun is. My own group never bothers with that sort of thing - we all just assume we're properly kitted with mundane gear, and we put our attention elsewhere.

Dareon
2007-11-19, 11:19 PM
You shouldn't shake it like that, you'll go blind.

Back on topic...

One thing that really gets me is in-party combat. I realize that expecting a random group of strangers who've just met over a mug of ale to get along perfectly is being far more optimistic than anyone can believably be, and I realize that party conflict is a good way to develop characters, but I don't think we should be taking up limited game time by attacking each other. If both players are cool with wanting the fight, that's okay, but can it wait until we're done here? You can decide how you want it to end, we'll fast-forward, and you can roleplay it out after the game if you feel like it.

(I've actually done just that. We'd been talking it up, and my character was going to confront another character when we got back to our home base, we got back, skipped ahead to my character lying unconscious with a dislocated shoulder in the main hall and the other fleeing into the night, then worked out what actually happened later in the week. It was awesome, and no dice were rolled.)

Another pet peeve is those that make this massively powerful build, then give it like one little non-mechanical bit and call that flavor. "Yeah, this guy's a Half-Giant Frenzied Berserker/Warhulk/Hulking Hurler, but he really likes puppies. He'd never hurt one if he could help it." Naturally if you throw a blink dog at him he rages first thing. That example's not from personal experience, fortunately.

Woot Spitum
2007-11-19, 11:37 PM
Or buy a plate mail for a desert campaign.You mean like the Crusades?:smallwink:

Stormcrow
2007-11-20, 12:16 AM
You mean like the Crusades?:smallwink:

Precisely. Bad call then, bad call now. :D

horseboy
2007-11-20, 12:25 AM
You shouldn't shake it like that, you'll go blind.

Only if you shake it more than twice. :smallamused:

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-11-20, 01:01 AM
People who call me closed-minded because I don't feel like trying every system under the sun. That's happened to be, someone literally called me closed-minded because I didn't feel like trying a new system he was talking about(not even a system really, just a game set in prehistoric times). He got so mad that I didn't want to and that I thought he was being stupid that he blocked me.

...Some people.

bugsysservant
2007-11-20, 01:05 AM
I hate DMs who penalize optimizers. "You didn't play a fighter/blaster/healbot so now you're going to be useless." Just because I didn't make a pitifully crappy character doesn't mean you should be throwing tailored encounter after tailored encounter at the CW samurai just so he can "have something to do"

'Course I also hate DMs who do the opposite. Yes, I know a batman wizard can out-rogue a rogue. Does that mean that I should never have a chance to participate because I prefer playing a scoundrel type character?

Basically, its a fine line.

Icewalker
2007-11-20, 02:40 AM
People who dive headfirst into danger...when they are way lower level than the rest of the party and don't hugely understand how to play the game.

Basically, he died or almost died in I think every single room, and some of them weren't trapped...or dangerous in any way...oh gods...

Blanks
2007-11-20, 03:06 AM
For some players, keeping track of that sort of stuff is not where the fun is. My own group never bothers with that sort of thing - we all just assume we're properly kitted with mundane gear, and we put our attention elsewhere.
Aah but the post is called pet peeves, and this is mine :smallsmile:
Thats how i play my games and thats how i like it :smallbiggrin:

Ganurath
2007-11-20, 03:13 AM
People who constantly complain to the DM to finish the worldbuilding then never make a character.

*sniff* It was so beautiful... So much potential... Freeform story arcs... Comprehensive history... All 'A Wizard Did It' origins were given logical explanations... *sigh*

Jerthanis
2007-11-20, 04:57 AM
It's fairly common, but my pet peeve is Rules Lawyers.

I hate it when the DM is unprepared for something, say, they're on a ship and pirates are boarding, and one character wants to climb into the rigging. The DM thinks that's cool, but doesn't remember rules for climbing off the top of his head, so says, "Make a DC 10 climb check, you go at half speed" thinking that's a good thing to rule to keep the game moving, and someone says, "Oh no, climbing rope is DC 15 and you climb at 1/4th speed." and begin looking it up to show everyone. In my mind, the DM says X, X is true until end of session, even if someone knows it's actually Y.

Sleet
2007-11-20, 10:20 AM
Aah but the post is called pet peeves, and this is mine :smallsmile:

Fair enough.

One of my pet peeves is when GMs make me get bogged down in meaningless resource management, mistaking realism for fun. :smallwink:

Rogue 7
2007-11-20, 10:39 AM
You mean like the Crusades?:smallwink:

The ones where they mostly wore chainmail, and actually needed it? (I'm taking a class on this, and dammit, I'm going to use it!)

serok42
2007-11-20, 10:46 AM
D&D: Players who think that a lower level spell, like detect magic, should perform the function of a higher level spell, like see invisibility.

Last game I played in one of the other players argued with the DM about this. He said that he should be able to detect the magical aura surrounding the invisible person.

He didn't win the argument and his character did die but I don't think it was out of spite. :smallbiggrin:

Luircin
2007-11-20, 11:19 AM
Players who do not UNDERSTAND the concept of danger and put the entire party in peril in order to do something "awesome." Maybe a repost, but I have got to tell this story.

Backstory: We were playing Shadowrun, a 2nd/3rd edition hybrid, and I was playing a manipulation-focused adept. Thanks to my character's history, he had a Dark Secret that he was training to become an Ares executive like his parents, but after his parents died of "cancer," and the corporation revealed in their contracts that all their possessions reverted to them, he stole everything he could get his hands on and booked it, changing his name, hocking what he stole, and spending the money on magical training and bioware.

This is important because the shop owned by one of the party members had been invaded by a team of bug shamans, wearing Ares identification, who were looking for me. Unfortunately, while watching the exchange, I accidentally gave myself away and all four of them jumped me with burst-fire stun rounds and 30+ initiatives.

Not wanting to get kidnapped, and with my mind-control abilities ineffective on them, AND being brought down almost to unconsciousness before I could even take an action, I found myself forced to take a risk, and try out my new spell, which allowed me to transform into magical creatures. Sheer luck (Target number 10) carried me through and I managed to transform into a feathered serpent, which held them at bay until the rest of the party was able to finish taking them down.

So... the decker of the party, who is completely ineffective in physical combat, convinced me to make a spell lock of that new spell for him. I guess I have no one to blame but myself for agreeing, but I was paranoid enough that having ANYONE between them and me would be a good thing.

Later, we were scouting out the Ares R&D workshop where the bug shamans had come from. Paramilitary organization, security, radar, the works. The only thing keeping us from being noticed is that we just look like a bunch of homeless bums who are gawking at the building.

First thing the decker did? Tried out his shiny new toy and, though three exploding 6s, transformed into a thunderbird. Through a series of follies, this got a little under half of the party captured (For the first time, my six ranks in Stealth were good for something, and I managed to avoid the search parties), but now the party members that DID get captured are now being interrogated about me. Great...

Douglas
2007-11-20, 12:00 PM
Last game I played in one of the other players argued with the DM about this. He said that he should be able to detect the magical aura surrounding the invisible person.

He didn't win the argument and his character did die but I don't think it was out of spite. :smallbiggrin:
By RAW the player was correct. Also by RAW he would have to spend three whole rounds concentrating to find the invisible person's location, would have to continue concentrating to track him if he moved, and would have to start all over again if he moved out of the chosen 60' cone. Oh, and he'd still have total concealment and its 50% miss chance throughout. I honestly don't see a problem with this - it's far too inconvenient, time consuming and unreliable to use as anything but a last resort, and when it is used it barely works at all.

My pet peeve: people who can't be bothered to read how something actually works.

BadJuJu
2007-11-20, 12:29 PM
people who interrupt an IC monologue for a whole OOC conversation about food, just wait till I'm finished, it'll only take a few F***ing seconds!

Or cut you off during you proclamation of vengence to ask if she can pick pocket some one. Which leads to... the person who monopolizes all the time picking pockets for like an hour and pouts whne the DM says moving along.

Kaelik
2007-11-20, 02:11 PM
It's fairly common, but my pet peeve is Rules Lawyers.

I hate it when the DM is unprepared for something, say, they're on a ship and pirates are boarding, and one character wants to climb into the rigging. The DM thinks that's cool, but doesn't remember rules for climbing off the top of his head, so says, "Make a DC 10 climb check, you go at half speed" thinking that's a good thing to rule to keep the game moving, and someone says, "Oh no, climbing rope is DC 15 and you climb at 1/4th speed." and begin looking it up to show everyone. In my mind, the DM says X, X is true until end of session, even if someone knows it's actually Y.

My pet peeve is when the DM gets upset when you actually try to follow the rules.

Someone: Hey I wan to do X
Me: That's a DC Y check using skill Z
DM: GRAGHHHH!! ME DM! ME DETERMINE DC! GRAGHHHH!!

Jack Zander
2007-11-20, 02:39 PM
When players get hit and try to justify all sorts of mechanics to let them dodge the attack.

Me: The attack hits you
PC: WHAT? I use tumble to avoid it.
Me: You can't that's not what tumble is for, you dodge with your AC.
PC: But you told me you can avoid attacks of opportunity with tumble.
Me: You can, that's not an attack of opportunity and that's not how it works even if it was.
PC: WTF? Why did you tell me this was a good skill to have then?

:smallannoyed:

EDIT: Another common one for them to try to use is a Reflex save...

Not Dice
2007-11-20, 02:48 PM

That's not bad. Bad is a male player playing a female character trying to seduce the male NPCs, and trying to press me to RP out the scene after I recommend a timely fade to black.

Craig1f
2007-11-20, 03:48 PM
D&D: Players who throw a bloody fit when their character gets killed. And refuse to participate in any way for the rest of the session (I usually offer them a NPC to play for the rest of the session if someone get's killed)

So, after it was clear we were losing this one adventure, we "switched gears" away from the players that hadn't been captured yet, to the ones who were captured, and currently attempting escape. This guy was playing an assassin, and since the assassin was evil, he decided to be obnoxious. Instead of listening to the group, he runs off on his own while we're being attacked by shadows, and opens a door to a room of 5 more shadows. Someone else runs up and slams the door, and tells him "hold this door closed. You're responsible for everyone's lives here". What does he do next round? He goes and tries the door across the hall, the shadows open the first door, and each one attempts an instakill on him. He fails his second save, throws a fit, and leaves.

Thanks god too, because my Swarm of Bats died a round later, and I got to control the NPC Deva (he'd have gotten the Deva if he'd stayed). I just cast Daylight, and the fight was over.

Detect Magic DOES detect invisibility, as long as you stick around for a round or two. You can detect the presence of the invisible person, and get a single spell off. However, if you're invisible, and someone starts casting, you need to move away from him pretty quickly.

First night of camp.
*crickets*

You have to get a friggin' bedroll. There's magic bedrolls, tents, etc. We had to use Magic Hand on a Bedroll to suppress a trap one time. That left us one bedroll shy the next night.

My barbarian has just about every item he can carry. Chalk, Pitons, bedrolls, 20 days worth of rations, bow strings, etc.

Now, blankets for horses is overkill. I don't think that's a standard item.

Craig1f
2007-11-20, 03:53 PM
Players who, after over a year, won't stop complaining about how my character woke his character up and he couldn't cast spells. Apparantly that led to his characters death. I'd argue that the fact that he killed my character (proficient in greatsword) in front of the rest of the party (including a pally, a barbarian, a rogue and a bard NPC, as well as two other NPCs) for waking him up led to his death. It's a good story!

I disagree with that call. You just have to not exert yourself for 8 hours to study spells. Waking up isn't a huge exertion.

For example, a wizard cast that magic mansion spell, or whatever it's called, while a few of us suffered through fatigue to go gather information. When we returned to the gateway to the mansion, the wizard was awoken by his invisible servants, and let us into the mansion, and went back to sleep. This did not prevent him from getting his spells back, because "waking up and answering the door" is not an exertion. Now, if he'd cast True Seeing after opening the door, to confirm that we were who we said we were, that would be another story.