PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sun Soul + Winged Tiefling rework for character build.

Nicomo Cosca
2021-11-06, 05:41 PM
Hiya all, I'm very sorry if this is not really the right place to post this but me and my DM are working on a character concept and I was wondering if you would be happy to give any thoughts you may have.

I've been playing a homebrew Echo Knight for over a year now. Without trying to bore you too much the basic premise is that the echo is essentially my main character, the spirit of a young artisan (Ezra) who awoke an ancient warforged (The Crimson Queen) and had her soul absorbed into it. It's resulted in a two souls in one body kind of deal, where the Echo has its own personality, stat line and so on. The story is reaching the point where the warforged can no longer contain her and their evolving mother-daughter dynamic is coming to a close. Over the last year its become apparent that Ezra is special and is a (seemingly) the prophesied emergence of a myth surrounding the Last Firebird. She is a radiant spirit of light and life and at the moment in echo form appears to be made of light not shadow (she also does radiant damage). There is a lot more flavour to it than that and RP keeps a lot of of the power that could come from having a sentient echo in check, but this post is not really about that. Hopefully this gives you some context and obviously this is all already quite far removed from standard rules as written.

With that all said the idea is that she will come into existence as a Sun Soul monk, using a heavily modified Winged Tiefling to replicate some of what she is all about. Knowing that the Sun Soul is a bit underwhelming and that our party is quite high power this has lead to me and my DM to work on some changes to make this concept work. It should also be said that the monk class for this character would be changed so she uses Charisma instead of Wisdom for all her monk abilities (Ezra is not wise, but has personality and presence). I won't be multiclassing, so any concerns regarding that can be set aside.

Happy to provide more details, but how would you all feel about the following changes?

Race changed to something along the lines of Radiant Spirit: Firebird

Born of Light and Flame (replaces Tiefling: Hellish Resistance⁠)
You have resistance to fire damage and immunity to radiant damage.

Light Eternal (additional Racial trait)
You gain Light and Control Flames as a bonus cantrips.

Moved winged racial trait and tied it into the Sun Soul subclass. Avoids a permanently flying character while allowing functional limited flying

Radiant Sun Bolt (reworked from standard sun soul)

Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you can hurl searing bolts of magical radiance.

You gain a new attack option that may replace any of your unarmed strikes. This special attack is a range spell attack with a range of 30 feet. You are proficient with it and you add your dexterity modifier to its attack and damage rolls. The damage from this attack is radiant and its damage die is equal to your martial arts die.

You can use your martial arts to make a bonus action attack with this feature when you take the attack action on your turn, in addition, once you gain the stunning strike feature, you can use that feature when you hit a creature with this special attack.

Light of Life (additional Sun Soul ability)

Starting at 3rd level you may use your Radiant energy as a rejuvenating force.

At any point during your attack action when you could make an unarmed strike you may instead choose to spend 1 ki to provide healing to a creature within 30 feet. This healing is equal to your martial arts die + your charisma modifier.

Searing Arc Strike (reworked from standard sun soul)

At 6th level, you gain the ability to channel your ki into searing waves of energy. Immediately after you take the Attack action on your turn, you can produce a 15-foot cone of radiant energy as a bonus action.

Each creature in the cone must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 3d6 radiant damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

You can spend ki points to increase the damage by 1d6 for each ki point spent. The maximum number of ki points you can spend on this ability is equal half your monk level.

Star Fire Wings (additional sun soul ability merged with the winged tiefling trait. Avoids a permanently flying character while allowing functional limited flying)

Starting at 6th level you may spend 1 Ki as a bonus action to manifest a pair of burning radiant wings from your back.

These wings grant you a flying speed of 30 feet that lasts for 10 minutes, during which time you can hover.

Searing Sunburst (reworked from standard sun soul)

At 11th level, you gain the ability to create an Orb Of Light that erupts into a devastating explosion. As an action, you may cast fireball a number of times per long rest equal to your proficiency bonus. All the damage caused by this fireball is radiant.

You can spend ki points to increase the damage by 1d6 for every 2 ki points spent. The maximum number of ki points you can spend on this ability is equal half your monk level.

There was also thought to have a few other spell-like abilities come into play for flavour reasons (Daylight and maybe something like Crusader's Mantle) but that not part of it right now.

Best wishes and thank you all so much for your time :)