PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Oath of Emanation (aura focused paladin)

KittenMagician
2021-11-07, 02:59 AM
Oath of Emanation
(Paladin subclass)

Tenets of Emanation
Clear your Mind. You are the calm before the storm. You must carry yourself with a demeanor of one who would ensure your mind is clear and your emotions are controlled

Preserve Civility. While others may act rash, it is your duty to ensure that things do not get out of hand. Mediate conflict to ensure that a civil order is maintained

Swift Resolution. Should all else fail, use violence as a last resort, however ensure that your resolve is swift and decisive, avoiding a prolonged or drawn out conflict

Oath of the Revenant spells
| Paladin Level | Spells |
|:----:|:-------------|
| 3rd | Sleep, Thunderwave |
| 5th | Calm Emotions, Dragon's Breath |
| 9th | Beacon of Hope, Pulse Wave |
| 13th | Compulsion, Fire Shield |
| 17th | Cone of Cold, Hallow |

Channel Divinity
(3rd level)

You gain the following two Channel Divinity Options. See the Sacred Oath class feature for how Channel Divinity works.

Emanation. As an action, you may spend any number of your Lay on Hands points and project a 30 ft. cone of energy. Each creature of your choice gains hit points equal to the number of Lay on Hands points spent on this ability + your Charisma modifier and each creature of your choice takes the same amount as radiant damage.

Emulation. As an action you may project an aura of another Oath. Choose a different paladin subclass and for 1 minute you count as having that subclass's 7th level ability if it is an aura. If you are 18th level or higher, this emulated aura improves as if it were your normal aura.

Radiating Aura
(7th level)

While you are conscious, you emit an aura of energy that wraps around living things and radiates further from them. Allies within 10 feet of you project your auras as if they had them but they still are your auras.
At 18th level the range of this aura increases to 30 ft.

Calm Before the Storm
(15th level)

You may concentrate on up to 2 aura spells at once. You only make one Constitution saving throw to maintain concentration on these spells, losing concentration on both on a failure. The auras from these spells are affected by your Radiating Aura.

Aura Palatinus
(20th level)

As an action you emit a wide range of energies. For 1 minute you gain all the auras from all the paladin subclasses and when you activate this ability you also gain the benefits of up to three aura spells, as if you cast them but their effects only last as long as this ability does and they don't take your concentration.

Amechra
2021-11-07, 04:00 PM
So, um...

First off, what counts as an "aura spell" for the purposes of this class feature? 5e doesn't "tag" spells like 3e or 4e did, so that term is entirely meaningless.

Also, does Radiating Aura also grant the people within it Radiating Aura? In other words, would a high-level Emanation Paladin standing in a crowd extend their aura to everyone in the crowd (assuming that you considered everyone in that crowd to be your ally)?

KittenMagician
2021-11-08, 09:16 PM
So, um...

First off, what counts as an "aura spell" for the purposes of this class feature? 5e doesn't "tag" spells like 3e or 4e did, so that term is entirely meaningless.

there are a few spells like aura of vitality that make you project an aura. i was thinking of these but i guess i could be clearer.

Also, does Radiating Aura also grant the people within it Radiating Aura? In other words, would a high-level Emanation Paladin standing in a crowd extend their aura to everyone in the crowd (assuming that you considered everyone in that crowd to be your ally)?

i guess it would. i didnt really think about the mob potential of it. i could easily change it to where its only your other auras

Intregus182
2021-11-08, 09:39 PM
Really fun concept!

The emulation CD is way too good. You cant give someone elses 7th level aura to a 3rd level character once per day for a minute. That just slaps any other paladin in the face.

(Im also of the view that bards shouldnt be bale to lick pally or ranger spells with magic sevrets either)

JNAProductions
2021-11-10, 06:27 PM
I also think the ability to, once per day, slap a 30' Cone of 105 Radiant damage (no save) while healing others for 105... That's pretty borked.