PDA

View Full Version : (5e) Help Designing a 1st Level Feature for An Action Hero Class

wayfare
2021-11-07, 08:14 AM
Hi All:

I'm creating a few "generic" classes that can be used for an upcoming modern game, and I'd like some feedback on one of the level 1 features I am designing.

The class theme is Action Hero -- it's all about being the biggest, toughest character around, like an 80s or 90s action movie star. I wanted to create a character that is durable, physically impressive, and has the potential to for intense collateral damage. On to the ability:

Mighty Blows: Starting at 1st level, you have learned a decisive, aggressive approach to battle. Once per round, when you hit with an attack, you may gain one of the following benefits:

Re-roll any or all of your weapon damage dice, taking the second result.
Apply the result of the attack roll to a target adjacent to your initial target. If the attack hits, the target suffers damage equal to half the weapon damage you inflicted on the initial target.
Gain temporary HP equal to your Constitution modifier.

Other features of the class will include Warlock-style invocation features to allow you to customize your action hero abilities, and the ability to improve the weapon you weild into the signature gear all action heroes carry.

noob
2021-11-07, 08:17 AM
Hi All:

I'm creating a few "generic" classes that can be used for an upcoming modern game, and I'd like some feedback on one of the level 1 features I am designing.

The class theme is Action Hero -- it's all about being the biggest, toughest character around, like an 80s or 90s action movie star. I wanted to create a character that is durable, physically impressive, and has the potential to for intense collateral damage. On to the ability:

__Mighty Blows:__ Starting at 1st level, you have learned a decisive, aggressive approach to battle. Once per round, when you hit with an attack, you may gain one of the following benefits:

* Re-roll any or all of your weapon damage dice, taking the second result.
* Apply the result of the attack roll to a target adjacent to your initial target. If the attack hits, the target suffers damage equal to half the weapon damage you inflicted on the initial target.
* Gain temporary HP equal to your Constitution modifier.

Other features of the class will include Warlock-style invocation features to allow you to customize your action hero abilities, and the ability to improve the weapon you weild into the signature gear all action heroes carry.

Some action heroes loves to swap weapons at a rapid rate throwing away weapons out of ammo instead of reloading.
Is it subclass material or an invocation?

wayfare
2021-11-07, 08:28 AM
Some action heroes loves to swap weapons at a rapid rate throwing away weapons out of ammo instead of reloading.
Is it subclass material or an invocation?

That would be an invocation style ability, I think! Right now I have one ability that allows you to literally hurl one handed weapons you weild, with the added bonus of having them ricochet back to your hand if desired, so you can literally hurl your empty weapons if you'd like!

I'll add this idea to the invocation list! (They're called exploits in class, but I'll keep using invocations until I have a solid draft put together).

Yakk
2021-11-08, 10:58 AM
I'd like to have an idea what the other pieces of the pie are.

I'd want (a) a combat ability and (b) a non-combat ability at level 1. If you also pick a subclass, then that could substitute for one of those (but then that locks the subclass down).

Are you aiming to support multiclassing?

Classes can have a mechanical core. I might go with an Action die, starting at 1d4 and scaling up to 1d12. You could even have mechanisms where it grows/shrinks.

Like, you have 1d4 you can add once on your turn to an attack or damage roll. And you can also expend a reaction to add it to a saving throw of or AC of or reduce damage on yourself or someone you can help.

Then add in a mishap table for a 1 on the roll (if you roll a 1, you can accept a mishap to reroll the die).

The same die can be used for the non-combat part of your kit; like, some Action Heroes can add it to Intimidation and Investigation checks.

Basically some core mechanical theme for the class.

noob
2021-11-08, 04:51 PM
I'd like to have an idea what the other pieces of the pie are.

I'd want (a) a combat ability and (b) a non-combat ability at level 1. If you also pick a subclass, then that could substitute for one of those (but then that locks the subclass down).

Are you aiming to support multiclassing?

Classes can have a mechanical core. I might go with an Action die, starting at 1d4 and scaling up to 1d12. You could even have mechanisms where it grows/shrinks.

Like, you have 1d4 you can add once on your turn to an attack or damage roll. And you can also expend a reaction to add it to a saving throw of or AC of or reduce damage on yourself or someone you can help.

Then add in a mishap table for a 1 on the roll (if you roll a 1, you can accept a mishap to reroll the die).

The same die can be used for the non-combat part of your kit; like, some Action Heroes can add it to Intimidation and Investigation checks.

Basically some core mechanical theme for the class.

Action heroes are more about reliability than random odds (they always hit mooks, they always jump exactly the distance they needed for reaching the other roof and so on).
So advantage granting abilities fits better the theme than die adding ones.(That or minimum rolls ex: you can not roll less than a 5 on a skill check or a dice roll for an attack is either the result of the dice or 5 depending on what is highest)
In fact with minimum rolls we could even have mechanics similar to the ones you suggested by substituting a dice of variable size with a minimum roll value that start at 4 on low levels and raise with level (up to 10 maybe since you are not a rogue and do not get expertise anyway).
Avoiding critical failures with a minimum dice value is in fact way less powerful than people thinks it is but makes you really feel like one of those characters that is sure they can do what they think they can do instead of trusting luck blindly.

Yakk
2021-11-09, 09:52 AM
The problem with advantage is that it interacts with a powerful improvisational tool of the DM. "Do something useful or clever? Advantage".

If you already have advantage, then that doesn't work.

An ability that gives a one-round d20 that you can replace another roll with? Then you wait for a good roll before doing the jump etc.