PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Witch-themed subclasses for druid and warlock

Greywander
2021-11-07, 10:32 PM
I've actually posted the warlock subclass before (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?632828-Witch-subclass-for-the-warlock), but I made a few minor tweaks. I finally wrote up a druid subclass for this as well, approaching the concept from the other side. I feel like both of them are overtuned, so I'll probably tweak them some more after I've had time to think about them.

Warlock Patron: The Witchmaker (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w-_KLVcjEE6wcVI7OKTkU6qoM3AR4k-muhl9Si3Sal8/edit?usp=sharing)

The Witchmaker
People whisper of the dark dealings of witches, some saying that they sold their souls to a devil for power, others that they’re in the service of hags, or that they’ve discovered ancient secrets that had been forgotten for a reason. While the first witches may have gained their powers from some other source, your patron is most likely another witch who has passed on the occult secrets of their craft.

Witches are both feared and respected. They are feared for their terrible curses, and can fall victim to mobs of superstitious peasants who blame them for every misfortune they experience. But they are also capable healers, and know of ways to protect against wicked spirits. Many religious orders take a dim view of witches, and more traditional spellcasters often balk at their unorthodox magicks. This forces many a witch to take up residence in the wild, on the outskirts of small villages that will tolerate their presence, and sometimes seek them out for aid.

Witchmaker Features
Druid Level - Features
1st - Expanded Spell List, Witch’s Implements, Maleficium
6th - Witch’s Remedy, Sympathetic Magic
10th - Witch’s Forms, Witch’s Familiar
14th - Master of Curses and Cures

Expanded Spell List
The Witchmaker allows you to draw on the magic of nature as well as the dark magic available to all warlocks. Whenever you learn or replace a warlock spell, you may choose a spell from the druid list instead. Those spells count as warlock spells for you.

Witch’s Implements
Beginning at 1st level, in addition to an arcane focus, you may also use any of the following as a spellcasting focus for your warlock spells: a druidic focus, an herbalism kit (if proficient), alchemist’s tools (if proficient), cook’s utensils (if proficient), or a cauldron (iron pot).

In addition, you know the find familiar spell and may cast it as a ritual. This doesn’t count against the number of warlock spells you know.

Maleficium
Starting at 1st level, you can cast the bane spell at-will as a 1st level spell.

When you reach 6th level, you can cast bane this way as a bonus action instead of an action.

Witch’s Remedy
When you reach 6th level, you learn a number of secret remedies and rituals passed down by witches designed to promote health and protect against evil spirits. You may cast the following spells as rituals: augury, detect poison and disease, lesser restoration, protection from evil and good, protection from poison, and remove curse.

You can also cast cure wounds without expending a spell slot at the end of a short rest. When you do so, and the target expends hit dice to regain hit points, they may roll each hit die twice and take the larger of of the two results.

Sympathetic Magic
Beginning at 6th level, you learn how to create and use effigies of a creature that allow you to cast spells on that creature from any distance. At the end of a short rest, you may create one effigy of one creature. To create the effigy, which is a small doll that represents that creature, you need a part of that creature’s body, such as a lock of hair, nail clippings, or at least an ounce of their blood. A silver coin must also be used when creating the effigy, payment for the spirits that carry your spells to the target.

To use an effigy, simply target it with one of your spells, and that spell will instead affect the creature represented by the effigy, as if the spell had been cast on them. When you use the effigy this way, the effigy is destroyed.

Witch’s Forms
Beginning at 10th level, you are able to magically take on the shape of an animal. Choose a number of beasts equal to your proficiency bonus that are medium or smaller. As an action, you may turn into one of the beasts you chose, or back into your true form. Each time your proficiency bonus increases, you may choose a new beast to take the form of. Each time you gain a level in this class, you may replace one of your beast forms with a different one. Temporary changes to your proficiency bonus, such as from a spell or magic item, don’t interact with this feature.

While you are in a beast form, your statistics don’t change except for your size and speed. Any equipment you are wearing or carrying isn’t transformed with you. You revert to your true form if you die.

Witch’s Familiar
When you reach 10th level, the familiar you create with the find familiar spell becomes an awakened beast. The awakened familiar has its Intelligence increased to 10 if it is less than 10, and gains the ability to speak. The familiar learns Common and both you and your familiar learn your choice of Abyssal, Celestial, Infernal, Primordial, or Sylvan. Your familiar is able to be taught more languages during downtime. Each time you summon the familiar, it retains knowledge of any languages it has learned.

In addition, when you cast a spell, you can choose to perceive through your familiar’s senses (if they are within range) and cast the spell as if you were in the familiar’s location. Once you do so, you must finish a short rest before you can do so again.

Master of Curses and Cures
Upon reaching 14th level, you master the various curses and cures that are the domain of witches. You may cast the following spells as rituals: commune with nature, greater restoration, and reincarnate. Your esoteric knowledge of herbs and remedies also allows you to greatly extend your lifespan and preserve your youth. For every 10 years that pass, your body ages only 1 year.

In addition, you may also cast bestow curse as a ritual. You may cast bestow curse at higher levels with a longer ritual and under certain conditions. You may cast the spell at 5th level with a ritual lasting 1 hour. You may cast the spell at 7th level with a ritual lasting 2 hours, but only on nights with a waxing moon. You may cast the spell at 9th level with a ritual lasting 8 hours, but only on the night of a full moon.

Druid Circle: Circle of Witchcraft (https://docs.google.com/document/d/13cgBvryMd024-olYjtTaYELF7cOxfWG9e4vBuJ42ql4/edit?usp=sharing)

Circle of Witchcraft
Description

Circle of Witchcraft Features
Druid Level - Features
2nd - Dark Magic, Tongue of the Night Woods, Bonus Proficiencies
6th - Eldritch Bargains, Sympathetic Magic
10th - Witch’s Familiar, Dreadful Curses
14th - Pale Moon Rising

Dark Magic
You have struck bargains with spirits dark and capricious. The pacts you’ve made grants you access to spells from the warlock spell list. Beginning at 2nd level when you choose this druid circle, you may treat any spell on the warlock spell list as if it were on the druid list for you.

In addition, you also learn the find familiar and bane spells. You always have these spells prepared, and they don’t count against the number of spells you can prepare. They also count as druid spells for you.

Tongue of the Night Woods
At 2nd level, you gain the ability to converse with beasts and many fey and fiends.

You learn to speak, read, and write Abyssal, Infernal, and Sylvan. In addition, beasts can understand your speech, and you gain the ability to decipher their noises and motions. Most beasts lack the intelligence to convey or understand sophisticated concepts, but a friendly beast could relay what it has seen or heard in the recent past. This ability doesn't grant you friendship with beasts, though you can combine this ability with gifts to curry favor with them as you would with any nonplayer character.

Bonus Proficiencies
When you choose this druid circle at 2nd level, you gain proficiency with two skills of your choice from the following list: Animal Handling, Arcana, Deception, Intimidation, Insight, Persuasion, or Religion.

Eldritch Bargains
When you reach 6th level, your dealings with various spirits allows you to gain the power of eldritch invocations. You gain one eldritch invocation of your choice from the warlock class that you meet the requirements for. Eldritch invocations with level requirements use your druid level instead of your warlock level. Each time you gain a level in this class, you may replace one of your invocations with a different one.

You gain an additional eldritch invocation at 10th level, and another one at 14th level.

Sympathetic Magic
Beginning at 6th level, you learn how to create and use effigies of a creature that allow you to cast spells on that creature from any distance. At the end of a short rest, you may create one effigy of one creature. To create the effigy, which is a small doll that represents that creature, you need a part of that creature’s body, such as a lock of hair, nail clippings, or at least an ounce of their blood. A silver coin must also be used when creating the effigy, payment for the spirits that carry your spells to the target.

To use an effigy, simply target it with one of your spells, and that spell will instead affect the creature represented by the effigy, as if the spell had been cast on them. When you use the effigy this way, the effigy is destroyed.

Witch’s Familiar
When you reach 10th level, the familiar you create with the find familiar spell becomes an awakened beast. The awakened familiar has its Intelligence increased to 10 if it is less than 10, and gains the ability to speak. The familiar learns Common and your choice of Abyssal, Celestial, Infernal, Primordial, or Sylvan. Your familiar is able to be taught more languages during downtime. Each time you summon the familiar, it retains knowledge of any languages it has learned.

In addition, when you cast a spell, you can choose to perceive through your familiar’s senses (if they are within range) and cast the spell as if you were in the familiar’s location. Once you do so, you must finish a short rest before you can do so again.

Dreadful Curses
Starting when you reach 10th level, you learn the hex and bestow curse spells. You always have these spells prepared, and they don’t count against the number of spells you may prepare. These count as druid spells for you.

In addition, if you cast the hex or bane spell using a spell slot, you don’t need to concentrate on that spell.

Pale Moon Rising
When you reach 14th level, you have discovered secrets that allow you to draw on the power of the moon depending on its phase.

While the moon is waxing, your spell save DC increases by 1.

During a crescent moon, your spells deal an additional 1d6 damage or healing, while during a gibbous moon your spells deal an additional 2d6 damage or healing.

During a full moon, you have resistance to all damage, deal an additional 2d6 damage or healing with your spells, and your spell save DC increases by 2.

During a new moon, you gain no special benefits.

This feature does not work while you are in sunlight.

Notice that I went ahead and copied a couple of features over between the two. Both get Sympathetic Magic, which is identical, and both get Witch's Familiar with slight variations (the druid doesn't also learn the language, since they get extra languages earlier on). And yes, I did basically rip off of the Shepard Druid's Speech of the Woods.

Due to differences between druid and warlock, not everything needed to be carried over from the warlock subclass to the druid subclass. The warlock subclass gets quite a few rituals, including spells that aren't normally rituals, because they don't have as many spell slots and need to rely more on at-will and ritual spells. The druid has enough spell slots that they don't need to worry about this. The druid also already has Wild Shape, so they don't need any other shapeshifting ability. I wanted both to have some kind of ability that related to moon phase, but it didn't need to be the same.

There's still quite a bit I'm not sure about. I'm not sure the warlock needs all those rituals, or if that might be too strong. (Cure Wounds is now only usable after a short rest, instead of being a ritual, so that helps.) I'm not sure about the druid capstone; it's flavorful and fun, but might be a touch too strong.

How do these subclasses look? How can I improve them? Which one would you prefer if you were going to play this character concept?

Bjarkmundur
2021-11-10, 03:27 AM
I really really love this, the Warlock is fantastic. Like you said, its probably overtuned, but I'm really happy with the overall package.

The first thing i'd cut is the Cure Wounds clause, or at least add a limit on how often you can do this. "once at the end of a short rest". I still feel it sticks out like a sore thumb.