PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Leomund's Tiny Hut question

Vindicus
2021-11-07, 10:50 PM
Can enemies enter the hut? Or is it only creatures that "fit in the field" at casting, that can move through the force effect?

Troacctid
2021-11-08, 01:15 AM
Well, the spell is certainly balanced as if enemies can pass through it, I can tell you that. The "It's a wall of force, but 3rd level!" version of the spell really shouldn't be a standard action—which is probably why when 5e formalized the spell to Official Definitely Work That Way, they also increased the casting time to 1 minute.

Khedrac
2021-11-08, 07:29 AM
I have always read the spell description as basically anything can freely pass through the hut except for:
1) Optical sight can see out but not in
2) The caster as doing so ends the spell.

So I take "Missiles, weapons, and most spell effects can pass through the hut without affecting it" as meaning pretty much everything.

I take the creature limit "As many as nine other Medium creatures can fit into the field with you" as being a comment on size rather than a physical bar to entry/exit.

(This means that the reason why the description says "most spell effects" is because some obviously cannot - e.g. anything that requires being seen but is created at the caster cannot be seen to affect anyone outside. Also a dispel magic would hit and interact with the hut rather than pass though.)

Helluin
2021-11-08, 11:52 AM
I have always read the spell description as basically anything can freely pass through the hut except for:
1) Optical sight can see out but not in
2) The caster as doing so ends the spell.

So I take "Missiles, weapons, and most spell effects can pass through the hut without affecting it" as meaning pretty much everything.

I take the creature limit "As many as nine other Medium creatures can fit into the field with you" as being a comment on size rather than a physical bar to entry/exit.

(This means that the reason why the description says "most spell effects" is because some obviously cannot - e.g. anything that requires being seen but is created at the caster cannot be seen to affect anyone outside. Also a dispel magic would hit and interact with the hut rather than pass though.)

I’ve always assumed creatures can pass through for the same reason, but I’ve always been curious if people think incorporeal creatures can also pass through unimpeded.

Troacctid
2021-11-08, 02:13 PM
It's funny because if it's a comment on the size, it's just obviously wrong. It's 20 feet tall in the center and it has a diameter of 40 feet!

Seward
2021-11-09, 08:52 PM
It's funny because if it's a comment on the size, it's just obviously wrong. It's 20 feet tall in the center and it has a diameter of 40 feet!

Hm 5' squares. More than 9 if some can fly for sure. Where is the point on that sphere where height is lower than a typical medium sized creature? My geometry-fu isn't up to that (ages ago I took and mastered very advanced math. But I always kinda hated geometry)

It is a one-way window with air conditioning/central heating. It's especially effective for ranged attackers, who can shoot their flat-footed enemies with impunity, especially if out of true seeing range. Out of combat, helps folks who lack endure elements stay comfortable.

Jack_Simth
2021-11-11, 07:21 AM
It's especially effective for ranged attackers, who can shoot their flat-footed enemies with impunity, especially if out of true seeing range.It's Evocation(Force), not illusion or transmutation, so how would True Seeing help?

Segev
2021-11-11, 09:38 AM
Until 5e, no edition's description of the spell ever made me think it kept any creatures from entering (or exiting, aside from the caster doing so ending it).

Seward
2021-11-11, 12:50 PM
It's Evocation(Force), not illusion or transmutation, so how would True Seeing help?

You are correct. It doesn't. It's like having ability to see through a fog cloud and casting one. Normal methods of spotting you don't work.

It is the kind of thing I sneak into ray-projector blasters (quickened leomund hut raises eyebrows...at first).