PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Trapped in Epic level spell

Albanymusicfund
2021-11-08, 03:08 AM
Dear Gianttip members,

I am currently trapped in a room (with no exits) with other high-level adventurers. There is an epic-level magical trap in effect that is some sort of version of dimensional anchor. There is some conjuration effects and abjuration magic in there.

How can I and the other members (we have clerics and an arcane caster)?

Best,
AlbanyMusicFund

EDIT: I am trapped in Dimension Lock as I have found out.

Troacctid
2021-11-08, 03:50 AM
Sounds like you need a freedom spell, cast by someone outside the room.

Bronk
2021-11-08, 01:59 PM
A wish spell would do it, under the 'regardless of local conditions' clause.

Lapak
2021-11-08, 03:26 PM
I mean, you're high-level adventurers and it sounds like teleportation is the only option ruled out. Unless the room you are in is literally indestructible, make a hole in the nearest flat surface and keep going until you're out of the area of effect.

icefractal
2021-11-08, 03:30 PM
While the dimensional anchor might already block this, check if you can still access Bags of Holding and such.

If so, there's a potential escape route - get inside one and then rip it. You wind up in a random spot on the Astral Plane, which may be hazardous but probably less so than a trap set by someone with Epic magic.

Zanos
2021-11-08, 06:13 PM
Disjunction should handily remove everything with no check.

If you don't have 9ths, you can still use greater dispel magic. If you can just sit there and roll against it eventually you'll hit 20+CL. Might not be reliable since an epic caster could easily raise their CL into the statosphere, but might be worth a try if the epic caster wasn't optimized. Absent CL modifiers, you can theoretically succeed on a dispel check on someone up to nine levels higher than you. EX: if the caster was level 25 the dispel DC would be 36, which you could hit on a nat 20 if you were level 16.

Albanymusicfund
2021-11-08, 07:44 PM
Hello everyone, I have just deduced that I am in a Dimension Lock Spell and it is not an epic-level spell. I hope this is able to helpful.

Smegskull
2021-11-08, 10:56 PM
Gaseous form. - if the room isn't air tight (are you running out of oxygen) then you can slip out.

Ghostform. - incorporeal is not ethereal so shouldn't be effected by anchor.

Dispel magic. - get rid of the anchor and leave.

Attack the room. - even walls have HP.

Transmute Rock to Mud. - dig your way out.

Bronk
2021-11-09, 07:55 AM
Hello everyone, I have just deduced that I am in a Dimension Lock Spell and it is not an epic-level spell. I hope this is able to helpful.

Even easier then, because as an emanation from a fixed point in space, the spell won't have any effect on those with total cover against it. Also, each casting of the spell only has a 20 foot radius, so you might just be able to find a corner of the area you're trapped in that isn't covered by the spell.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-11-09, 09:40 AM
How many party members have tinfoil hats (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?129012-How-Many-Uses-for-a-Tinfoil-Hat) to block the mind-control waves spell emanation?

Albanymusicfund
2021-11-09, 07:29 PM
How many party members have tinfoil hats (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?129012-How-Many-Uses-for-a-Tinfoil-Hat) to block the mind-control waves spell emanation?

I regret to inform you that I did not have the foresight to do this.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-11-09, 08:52 PM
I regret to inform you that I did not have the foresight to do this.Check your surroundings. Is there anything you can pile up to block line of effect (LoE) from wherever the spell is emanating from? Do you have a sheet your party members can hold up to block line of effect while you cast plane shift/teleport (or better yet, some summoned creatures you can have do this, after your party members use the sheet to block LoE while you summon them)? Is there anything you can fabricate into a wall? Do you have a wall of [insert material here] spell you can cast? Anything to block LoE should help.

Once you're out of here, give the whole party tinfoil hats, just in case. Make them from whatever materials are both convenient and hard to destroy, and you can shape them however you like to be as fashionable (or as wizardy) as you like.

Albanymusicfund
2021-11-10, 11:50 AM
Do you have a wall of [insert material here] spell you can cast? Anything to block LoE should help.

My team's Cleric does have access to Wall of Stone! Thank you for the suggestion!