PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Campaign Specific Question Regarding the Echo Knight

Petelo4f
2021-11-08, 07:59 AM
So, I will soon be playing in a new game of curse of Strahd, and I had decided that I would like to play as an Echo Knight. Knowing the echo to be a complex and often vague class I went and spoke with the DM about how the class functions, etc., to make sure we were on the same page. Most of the things they were fine with: the vertical movement of the echo, the echo counting as an object not a creature, even being able to grapple/shove through the echo; however, there was one sticking point, I had told the DM my plan to eventually go into Barbarian with the Ancestral Guardian subclass, and here the DM ruled that reckless attacking would mean both I and the Echo would grant advantage, and that the echo counted as myself for the purpose of the Ancestral Guardian level 3 feature. So, with that in mind is it still worth the multiclass or should I consider another route, such as Gloomstalker (for the additional attack and damage die first round) or Warlock (for Devil's Sight and Darkness shenanigan's)? Anyway, I will be playing as reborn lineage from character creation, so I won't be getting sentinel until level 4. Anyway, any advice welcome, and thanks in advance!

Bobthewizard
2021-11-08, 08:17 AM
It's still great. I agree with their ruling and still think that 3 level dip in barbarian is amazing. You want them to attack the echo every round. It wastes their attack and only takes a bonus action to replace. You can replace it every round. If reckless attack and ancestral protectors encourages the enemy to attack the echo, that is exactly what you want. It is a lot of wasted damage on their part.

Petelo4f
2021-11-08, 04:35 PM
It's still great. I agree with their ruling and still think that 3 level dip in barbarian is amazing. You want them to attack the echo every round. It wastes their attack and only takes a bonus action to replace. You can replace it every round. If reckless attack and ancestral protectors encourages the enemy to attack the echo, that is exactly what you want. It is a lot of wasted damage on their part.

Oh, I don't disagree with the ruling, I obviously would rather they ruled differently, but I was in no way going to argue against it because it seemed sensible to me. But fair enough, I will stick with the build, should still be fun.