View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Favoured Soul > Bone Knight

Thurbane
2021-11-08, 05:09 PM
Just wondering,

What are some ways for FS to enter Bone Knight without losing caster levels?

BK reqs include BAB +4 (FS can meet this by 6th level); Craft (armorsmithing) 6 ranks , Knowledge (religion) 4 ranks , Ride 6 ranks (FS has Craft, can get K:R from an ACF, but does not have Ride); and ability to turn or rebuke undead (which FS lacks).

Knight of the Raven would work for turn undead, but doesn't have ride, and missed 1st caster level.

Sacred Exorcist works for Turn Undead, but has some difficult reqs of it's own.

Ride is difficult too. I mean, you can get it cross classed by ECL 9, but that's less than ideal. I suppose I could chose Lupin for the race?

Not looking for extreme cheese like lycanthropy/Dusk Giant/inspire greatness or similar.

Usual list of allowed materials for my table: no Kalamar, Ravenloft (except EtCR), PF, 3rd party etc.

Also, must be FS chassis, not Cleric, not UA classes etc. No Prestige Paladin please.

Cheers - T

Jervis
2021-11-08, 05:27 PM
Human Paragon gets any class skills you want in class with a bonus feat and +2 charisma at the cost of a caster level. You can get turns from a domain I think, though I can’t remember which, so Planar Touchstone gets it for you. Prestige Paladin also gets Ride in class at the cost of a CL, though that also takes turns. But if you take it fir two levels you get a mount and divine Grace that bone Knight progresses/keeps.

Thurbane
2021-11-08, 05:58 PM
Prestige Paladin doesn't exist in our games.

Planar Touchstone is interesting, but if you mean Sun Domain, it doesn't grant turning, but a 1/day Greeter Turning, so it probably would not meet reqs.

Human Paragon is great, aside from 1 lost caster level.

Thurbane
2021-11-08, 06:10 PM
Hmm, Combat Medic, Dragon Slayer, Dreadmaster, Lion of Talisid and a few others seem to advance casting at lvl 1, and have Ride as a skill.

Saintheart
2021-11-08, 06:53 PM
Death Delver gets you the turning ability, gives you Knowledge (Religion), doesn't have the Ride sadly. No alignment requirement either. Effectively loses you a caster level, though, since it puts its own cowpat spell list in.

Thurbane
2021-11-08, 07:07 PM
I think being a Lupin and Dipping KotR may be the easiest option.

FS 6/KoTR 3/BK 10/KotR +1

Leaves all of my feats free, and only loses 2 caster levels over 20.

Quentinas
2021-11-08, 07:10 PM
Using aereni focus ? Using an unicorn clan human from oriental adventure? These are the only two ways (other than being a lupin) that comes to mind to gain ride as a class skill

Thurbane
2021-11-08, 07:55 PM
Using aereni focus ? Using an unicorn clan human from oriental adventure? These are the only two ways (other than being a lupin) that comes to mind to gain ride as a class skill

Hmm, good calls. I tend to dislike Elves for the Con hit, but Painted Elf might be an option (this won't be an Int heavy build).

Might look at OA Humans as well. Thanks. :smallsmile:

PoeticallyPsyco
2021-11-08, 08:21 PM
Hmm, you don't even need Knowledge (religion) as a class skill, since you can meet the 4 ranks requirement in time even with the cross-class cap. Don't know what the ACF gives up, but it might be worth considering.

IIRC you don't allow the Skill Knowledge feat outside of the variant rule it was designed for? That would work for one of the skills.

Apprentice (spellcaster) would work for Knowledge (religion), but is not a very efficient way of handling that. I'm surprised there isn't an Apprentice (squire) with Ride as an associated skill, but them's the shakes.

Extra Spell (bone talisman) as your 6th level feat nabs you Turn Undead... with the generous ruling that Extra Spell lets you learn spells from other lists. No denying it's on theme, though.

Maat Mons
2021-11-08, 08:58 PM
Would you deem Mystic (Dragonlance Campaign Setting, p47) an acceptable substitute for Favored Soul? Mystic is to Cleric as Sorcerer is to Wizard. Many people mistakenly think Favored Soul is the spontaneous Cleric. But no, that honor goes to Mystic. What Favored Soul really is, is the weird, off-brand Mystic. Mystic is Oreos. Favored Soul is Hydrox Cookies.

If you do want to stick with Favored Soul, I guess Favored Soul 8 / Sacred Exorcist 1 works as an entry. Though you'd need to finagle Knowledge (the planes) from somewhere. Not too difficult. Oh, and Knowledge (religion). But you said there's an ACF you can get it from?

If you can rectify the fluff, Favored Soul 5 / Church Inquisitor 3 / Sacred Exorcist 1 should work without having to pick up extra class skills from anywhere.

Jervis
2021-11-09, 02:18 AM
Prestige Paladin doesn't exist in our games.

Planar Touchstone is interesting, but if you mean Sun Domain, it doesn't grant turning, but a 1/day Greeter Turning, so it probably would not meet reqs.

Human Paragon is great, aside from 1 lost caster level.

I actually wasn't talking about sun. I was refering to Necromancy from DLCS. It's "Mystic Only" but i believe strict Raw planar touchstone lets you get it. It gives some OK spells but more importantly gives rebuke undeads, 3+Cha in fact. I think there's a domain for turns but i cant remember. If PrC paladin isn't an option then Witch Hunter could work, though its earliest entry is 8 and looses a CL out the gate.

Edit: some other domains, i think one of the dragony ones, gives extra rebukes for X type of creature. I know at least one says they count as turns for other things. I think one of the initiate feats just straight up gives a turn 1/day

ShurikVch
2021-11-10, 01:11 PM
Note: technically, Bone Knight's prerequisite is "Ability to turn or rebuke undead" - not "turn or rebuke undead class feature"
Does it mean we can use spells - such as Manifest Death/Manifest Life or Rebuking Breath, or items - like Shroudcrown - to qualify for the PrC?
Also, Lightkeeper sovereign archetype - in case of True Dragon PC

GoodbyeSoberDay
2021-11-10, 01:50 PM
I actually wasn't talking about sun. I was refering to Necromancy from DLCS. It's "Mystic Only" but i believe strict Raw planar touchstone lets you get it. It gives some OK spells but more importantly gives rebuke undeads, 3+Cha in fact. I think there's a domain for turns but i cant remember. If PrC paladin isn't an option then Witch Hunter could work, though its earliest entry is 8 and looses a CL out the gate.Oddly enough the other turning domain you were thinking of was Dragonlance's Sun domain, which is different from the core domain in that it straight up grants TU. I used to think as you do that it worked, but on second perusal I'm not so sure.

Base Ability: Choose a cleric domain; you gain the granted power of that domain.

Deities: None (Mystic only).Is it a cleric domain that, despite only appearing in Dragonlance, no Dragonlance god grants (and thus only Mystics can access), or is it specifically a Mystic domain? That's up to Thurbane's table, I think.

Gruftzwerg
2021-11-14, 04:58 PM
If Dragon Magazine is allowed at the table, how about the Flexible Mind feat?
It requires only "chaotic" alignment and gives 2 skills as class skill for all your classes and a chaotic aura (like a cleric/paladin..).

Elves
2021-11-14, 09:25 PM
Is it a cleric domain that, despite only appearing in Dragonlance, no Dragonlance god grants (and thus only Mystics can access), or is it specifically a Mystic domain? That's up to Thurbane's table, I think.
This just came up recently in the discord. Going by that page alone you're right that it's "mystic only" only in that Dragonlance clerics must worship a deity and no deity grants it, but would still be valid for PT. Alas, there was a quote elsewhere in the book that suggested it's mystic-only for real.

mattie_p
2021-11-15, 07:04 AM
The specific quote is on page 49.

A mystic chooses one domain from among those available to clerics, including the domains in the Player's Handbook (even Sun, which is not granted by any of the living deities of Krynn, but not Magic) and the new domains presented in Chapter 3: Magic of Krynn (including several that are available only to mystics).

There are a lot of different clauses in that text, but pertinent for this discussion is the portion that I underlined. Notably this is found in the Mystic section of the rules. Specific interactions outside of Krynn or where the mystic class is not available is best left to the individual DM. However, based on DLCS, it is a Mystic domain, not a cleric domain, I don't think it meets the requirement for Planar Touchstone.

Paragon
2021-11-16, 10:15 AM
God-Touched is a feat from DrM#305 and coupled with Unicorn Clan Human, gets you into Bone Knight :)