PDA

View Full Version : Help with Unknown Cursed Book/Tomb

MR_Anderson
2021-11-08, 11:22 PM
I’m looking to punish my party.

See, the party has achieved saving the daughter of a merchant/bar owner, and true to his word he will give them one of his family’s three magic items. Originally they heard of the opportunity and knew only of his magical barrel, and had to have it.

After she was saved, they asked what he had and they have passed on the Barrel of Beer (Decanter of Endless Beer) and a Runestaff that changes spellpower into Lightning spells level proportionally.

Instead they want to fight through two days of Giant infested lands to obtaining the magical book from the merchant‘s mother living in another town. I gave countless signs that this book is cursed, as in he said his mother never wants to stop reading it and he just left her keep it rather than cause issues taking it. Also, they’ve never been able to identify it.

On top of this they are waiting 24 hours for someone that is supposed to help them get off the planet before it is destroyed, and this trip will take at least an extra day longer with an unknown time until the planetary disaster occurs.

So what type of unique cursed tomb would you throw at the party?

Telonius
2021-11-09, 10:12 AM
The book isn't actually cursed. It's a copy of "The Silmarillion" with the character lists and indexes at the end ripped out. She's been trying to make it through the whole thing for years now, but has to keep going back to figure out why Noldor Elf #746 is suddenly important again.

AsuraKyoko
2021-11-09, 05:27 PM
On top of this they are waiting 24 hours for someone that is supposed to help them get off the planet before it is destroyed, and this trip will take at least an extra day longer with an unknown time until the planetary disaster occurs.

This kinda reminds me of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which gave me an idea:

The book is the, in fact, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (the in-universe one, not the novel itself). The old lady is just way too deep in tabbed browsing and wiki-walking through all of the trivia in the Guide, and loses track of time. Don't forget to include the friendly "Don't Panic" on the cover!

ShurikVch
2021-11-09, 08:24 PM
Low-power option: it's bound remains of Grisgol (old scrolls and tome pages which Incite Madness in observers)
High-power option: it's spellbook of Larloch the Shadow King (https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Larloch) - with all the spells, and vicious curse for protection
[Epic] option: it's Codex of the Infinite Planes (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/artifacts.htm#codexoftheInfinitePlanes)