PDA

View Full Version : Aspis (Hoplon) and Similiar Shields

Crow
2007-11-18, 11:11 AM
Ok, so the aspis was constructed from wood, maybe with a bronze covering on the outside. There are accounts of thrown projectiles penetrating the shield and striking the bearer.

Do we consider this a light wooden shield (able to carry objects in the shield hand, like javelins), or a heavy wooden shield (can use shield hand for nothing else)?

I was considering ruling it as a light wooden shield, which would allow the person using it to carry items in that hand.

I would like to know, as I am working on an Aeneas-like character, and would like to get the gear right. If anybody has any input on the other gear, I would appreciate it. So far I also have; Breastplate, Shortsword, and am trying to decide between a Shortspear and Javelin. It would seem the lances described in the Illiad and Aeneid would be more like shortspears (due to their melee usage as well as throwing usage), rather than the D&D javelin (not really worthwhile in melee).

skywalker
2007-11-18, 12:37 PM
I say it's probably a heavy shield. Those things are heavy and I don't think they had the means to carry it without using that hand.

As for the spears, I think I remember somebody homebrew-ing a feat that allows you to use a spear one-handed. That would more accurately reflect the hoplites, since those are long spears.

Crow
2007-11-18, 12:44 PM
I say it's probably a heavy shield. Those things are heavy and I don't think they had the means to carry it without using that hand.

As for the spears, I think I remember somebody homebrew-ing a feat that allows you to use a spear one-handed. That would more accurately reflect the hoplites, since those are long spears.

I'm not trying to make a hoplite. The spears I am referring to were used for throwing primarily, but could be used in melee as well. The longspear is not what i'm looking for.

I know that some shields of that time had a grip, but I have seen a lot of pictures of carvings and ceramics that depict these guys carrying javelins along with their shield, gripped in their hand.

Is there a feat somewhere that would let you hold a heavy shield and carry things in that hand? Not use. Just carry.

Matthew
2007-11-18, 02:15 PM
It's a Heavy Wooden Shield as far as it can be approximated with the core Dungeons & Dragons rules. Heavy Shields were generally both worn and carried, the handle or strap being gripped when additional control and stability are required. Here's a couple of easy House Rules you might consider implementing:

Small Shield: Can be used as a Light Shield or Buckler
Large Shield: Can be used as a Heavy Shield or Light Shield

This gives you more flexability with Shields in general and allows you to model the reputed fighting methods of Ancient and Medieval historical cultures.

You could always Home Brew a Hoplite Shield if you wanted more variety.

There is unfortunately no official Feat that allows a Spear/Long Spear and Heavy shield to be used in conjunction. Honestly, though, it shouldn't be a Feat, it should just be a standard rule. Best way to do it is to create Martial Weapon Proficiency - Spear and Martial Weapon Proficiency - Long Spear, allowing Spears and Long Spears to be used One Handed. That way Martial Characters have access to that option from the get go.

Current Home Brew Hoplite Discussion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63795)

Pre Hoplite Greek Warriors would probably be best modelled with Spears, Large Shields and Short/Long Swords, but they would probably have lighter ones and longer ones availble. Indeed, the Illiad tells us that there were longer spears on the ships. As for Body Armour, that's a bit trickier.