PDA

View Full Version : Tech Help Software that shows me my computer's Temperature (and nothing else!)

Draconi Redfir
2021-11-10, 06:23 AM
Does anyone have or know of a software that shows me my PC's current temperature and literally nothing else? I've been concerned a few specific games (ARK: Survival Evolved and Jurassic world evolution) might be pushing my computer to it's limits as it's tangibly warmer when running them, so i'd like to install a software that can monitor my PC's temperature for me so i can better gage what the risks to my PC are. (How digital Software tells physical temperature, I'll never know.)

The problem is... as far as i can tell, there just isn't any software out there that fits my needs. it either doesn't work (RealTemp), gives me far too much unnecessary info (HWMonitor), or apparently has a history of being loaded with Malware (CoreTemp). It doesn't help that the absolute most recent reviews for most of these programs are from like, 2016, if not earlier.

I don't need to know my computer's speed, it's energy consumption, it's CPU, GPU, RAM, social security number, how many toes it has, the total number of timezones it can calculate or anything like that

I am just looking for a thermometer that works. Nothing else.

Can anyone help?

J-H
2021-11-10, 07:37 AM
I used one of those programs a year or two ago, but I don't recall which one, sorry. I think it showed a bunch of extra info.

My fan was running almost all the time, really loudly, and my processor was running about 70*C. After a bit of investigation, I figured out that the inside of the PC was really dusty from when we had some remodeling done a couple of years ago. I took the case cover off and carefully blew everything out with compressed air (outdoors, massive dust cloud!). Next time I fired up the same programs, my processor was running more like 26*C.

If you haven't already done so, check the inside and clean as necessary.

tyckspoon
2021-11-10, 11:44 AM
(How digital Software tells physical temperature, I'll never know.)

There are temperature sensors attached to certain sensitive components in the PC - your main CPU, graphics card, and at least one point on the motherboard itself should have them; they're how the OS/BIOS/chip firmware knows if they're being overstressed and need to throttle back. You usually can't get one for 'general temp of the air in the case' unless you've attached your own thermometer or have some fancy fans that measure their own intake/exhaust temps or something, but the operating temps of the CPU and GPU are usually the relevant points anyways. Their reports are typically not exposed to the user, but the software calls for checking them exist and can be referenced - that's what most of the info programs do, along with calling up all the other really detailed system info stuff and presenting it in a way that is more readable than the default Windows interface.

As for the actual question, sorry, no idea >.> It's not been something I cared about since I last flirted with overclocking as a hobby, but most of the people who care about that also do want all the other detailed system info. Best you can get may be one that has configurable reporting so you can turn off/close/exit all the panels you don't want.

gomipile
2021-11-10, 12:42 PM
I think MSI Afterburner has settings to show only what you want.

factotum
2021-11-10, 03:12 PM

Yeah, I was about to suggest that--while MSI Afterburner can be configured to show all sorts of information about the CPU, GPU and RAM while running a game, it would be fairly easy to set it up to just show CPU and GPU temperature.

crayzz
2021-11-10, 05:33 PM
I am just looking for a thermometer that works. Nothing else.

"Just" a thermometer is basically only going to exist on the command line: basically every system monitoring utility monitors everything it can. You can look up powershell scripts that do what you want, something like

$temp_object = Get-WmiObject MSAcpi_ThermalZoneTemperature -Namespace "root/wmi"
$temp_object.CurrentTemperature/10 - 273

maybe running in a loop might work.

You mentioned HWMonitor: Open Hardware Monitor is an open source alternative. It does monitor everything, but playing around with the settings I was able to get it to a pretty compact window that only really displays cpu and gpu temp:

https://i.imgur.com/MiJU6h6.png

Draconi Redfir
2021-11-10, 07:05 PM
I used one of those programs a year or two ago, but I don't recall which one, sorry. I think it showed a bunch of extra info.

My fan was running almost all the time, really loudly, and my processor was running about 70*C. After a bit of investigation, I figured out that the inside of the PC was really dusty from when we had some remodeling done a couple of years ago. I took the case cover off and carefully blew everything out with compressed air (outdoors, massive dust cloud!). Next time I fired up the same programs, my processor was running more like 26*C.

If you haven't already done so, check the inside and clean as necessary.

yeah did that about a month ago or so when i felt Ark: Survival evolved cooking my computer, made a bit of a smell too. suspect that was just dust cooking though.

Didn't clean it outside though, had a vacuum on hand to suck up any loose dust that came up as i sprayed it down with a compressed air canister. pretty sure i got most of it.

quick inspection, bit of an eyesore to look at visually, but i'll have to give it a shot later on. unfortunately a very low-energy day for me. can't commit to much more then watching netflix atm >_>

factotum
2021-11-11, 02:15 AM
quick inspection, bit of an eyesore to look at visually

When you're actually running the game you won't see it, so not a problem! :smallsmile:

JDMSJR
2021-11-12, 05:09 PM
I use Speccy. It's made by the people who made CCleaner. It gives you a little more info than just temp, but it also give you the GPU temp. It's also free. Here is the wikipedia page for it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speccy

If you google the name, you can see some screen shots of it and the info it gives you.

Good luck.

John

Tarmor
2021-11-13, 08:50 PM
I use Speccy. It's made by the people who made CCleaner.

I also use Speccy - by Piriform. Like most of the other programs mentioned, it does provide a lot more info about your system that just the temperatures. The basic summary page is fairly simple, and you'd see temperatures without too much detail on everything else.