PDA

View Full Version : Martial Technique: Sweeping Attack

Bjarkmundur
2021-11-11, 01:37 PM
It's a Boredome Brew. I won't be using it in my game, and its not pretty, but at least it's balanced. It is meant to fulfill the fantasy of a giant sword or axe swinging continuously, targeting multiple creatures at once.
I have no clue what a "martial Technique" is. You could add it as a class feature, a feat or a "special attack" like shove.
It is not considered a "melee weapon attack" so magic Weapons, rage or great weapon fighter have no effect.

Sweeping Attack
Martial Technique

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self (5-foot radius)
You swing your weapon in a wide arch, threatening multiple enemies at once. Make a Strength ability check, adding your Proficiency bonus to the result. Each creature other than you within 5 feet of you makes a Dexterity saving throw, using your ability check as the target DC. On a failed save, the creature takes damage equal to your weapon's damage die, of the same type as your weapon's damage type.

At Higher Levels. The damage increases by one weapon die when you reach 5th level, 11th level , and 17th level.

-------

Another version of this would be to say "as a part of the action you can move a number of feet up to your movement left for this turn. Any creature you move within 5 feet of during this movement must succeed on a contested Strength vs. Dexterity ability check, or take damage damage equal to your weapons's damage die, and of the same type as your weapons's damage type.

The damage increases by one weapon die when you reach blablablabla

--------

Edit: Hey what do you know. I ended up finishing it and adding it to my Google doc.

Old Harry MTX
2021-11-11, 03:13 PM
Interesting!

Actually, you make me want to write a subclass that uses spellslots trickslots to cast perform spells martial techniques like this, maybe with the ability to recover the slots at the end of a short rest. Similar to the maneuver system of the battlemaster, but with techniques of many levels, like the maneuver from the 3.5 ToB.

Bjarkmundur
2021-11-11, 03:50 PM
Interesting!

Actually, you make me want to write a subclass that uses spellslots trickslots to cast perform spells martial techniques like this, maybe with the ability to recover the slots at the end of a short rest. Similar to the maneuver system of the battlemaster, but with techniques of many levels, like the maneuver from the 3.5 ToB.

Maybe a hexblade blademaster that gains Invocations secret techniques from his Patron teacher!