PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Serini

Squire Doodad
2021-11-11, 08:10 PM
In the latest comic, V chooses to use a Resilient Sphere instead of a fancy ray or something. While the Sphere is a viable choice disregarding a Dimension Door wand, V is now stuck on the floor in the maws of a mighty irrelevant beast.
Given that they've been stocking up on non-somatic component spells, are there any ranged options they could plausibly have that could hit Serini, assuming she hasn't had multiple turns to flee?

Fyraltari
2021-11-12, 02:46 AM
Bigsby's Halfling Catching Hand?

Ezekiel
2021-11-12, 01:30 PM
Dimensional Anchor would be nice at this point.

Hurkyl
2021-11-12, 01:40 PM
We've seen V use Power Word: Stun. Serini probably doesn't have over 150 HP?

Psyren
2021-11-13, 12:39 PM
As noted, Dimensional Anchor would be the most valuable now that they know she has a dim door wand.

V should also really be hitting the three pursuers with a Haste.

KorvinStarmast
2021-11-13, 06:03 PM
Haley has wands. Does any of them shoot something? V was helping her learn with a fire based wand on the airship (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0970.html).

Metastachydium
2021-11-14, 03:59 AM
Haley has wands. Does any of them shoot something? V was helping her learn with a fire based wand on the airship (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0970.html).

She has a Magic Misiile wand that she tried to use on Crystal. Not sure that would help much, though.

KorvinStarmast
2021-11-15, 02:38 PM
She has a Magic Misiile wand that she tried to use on Crystal. Not sure that would help much, though. It wouldn't hurt, unless of course you were Serini. :smalleek: (Since my brain is all 5e at the moment, I am not sure how effective/lethal/scalable a magic missile wand is in 3.5). A wand of web, if it has/has the range, might catch Serini for a round or two ... since she currently can't see Haley casting at her ... (based on last panel 6 of strip 1247).
I may be reaching here. :smallcool:

Psyren
2021-11-16, 03:14 AM
It wouldn't hurt, unless of course you were Serini. :smalleek: (Since my brain is all 5e at the moment, I am not sure how effective/lethal/scalable a magic missile wand is in 3.5). A wand of web, if it has/has the range, might catch Serini for a round or two ... since she currently can't see Haley casting at her ... (based on last panel 6 of strip 1247).

In 3.5, wands default to minimum caster level, which means magic missile would do a grand total of 1d4+1. Haley's wand looks to have a higher CL than that (5th) (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0973.html) for a total of three missiles, however 3d4+3 is unlikely to faze a character of Serini's level even if she has no defenses against it.

KorvinStarmast
2021-11-16, 09:56 AM
In 3.5, wands default to minimum caster level, which means magic missile would do a grand total of 1d4+1. Haley's wand looks to have a higher CL than that (5th) (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0973.html) for a total of three missiles, however 3d4+3 is unlikely to faze a character of Serini's level even if she has no defenses against it. Thank you, and now that strip 1248 is up my guess is shown to be off base.

Robots
2021-11-23, 02:22 PM
I think Haley should have whipped out a tommy gun and gunned down Serini. The most obvious and chronologically sound decision to make.

RatElemental
2021-11-23, 03:47 PM
I think Haley should have whipped out a tommy gun and gunned down Serini. The most obvious and chronologically sound decision to make.

Genius! Then when she's injured and trying to get steady, Abraham Lincoln can come back with a machete.

Metastachydium
2021-11-24, 02:27 AM
Genius! Then when she's injured and trying to get steady, Abraham Lincoln can come back with a machete.

Wait, Serini's a vampire?

KorvinStarmast
2021-11-24, 08:24 AM
Wait, Serini's a vampire?
One doesn't simply dispatch a vampre with a machete, one also has to use a stake.
Should I regret that I've not seen Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter? (I think that was a movie from a few years ago)

Metastachydium
2021-11-24, 08:46 AM
One doesn't simply dispatch a vampre with a machete, one also has to use a stake.

The only valid use for a well-done one! (Also, it's spelled steak.)

Should I regret that I've not seen Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter? (I think that was a movie from a few years ago)

Can't be much worse than Cowboys & Aliens.

brian 333
2021-11-24, 09:10 AM
Which is more proof that all of the muses have left Hollywood for Bollywood. The only things to come out of Hollywood in the last few decades that didn't make me want to gouge out my eyes to avoid seeing it are the remakes of 1980 or older comic book stories.

Shooting Serini with anything that didn't leave her paralyzed wouldn't have worked anyway. D&D doesn't have any rule that allows wounding to disable a character. Even a called shot to her leg would only have inconvenienced her.

Metastachydium
2021-11-24, 09:14 AM
D&D doesn't have any rule that allows wounding to disable a character.

I'd argue that if dispensed liberally enough, nonlethal damage can do that.

Peelee
2021-11-24, 10:46 AM
Which is more proof that all of the muses have left Hollywood for Bollywood. The only things to come out of Hollywood in the last few decades that didn't make me want to gouge out my eyes to avoid seeing it are the remakes of 1980 or older comic book stories.

Shame, seems like youve missed a lot of cinematic gold.

Robots
2021-11-25, 02:58 PM
But suddenly something caught his leg and he tripped
General Tarquin took him out with his whip!

Metastachydium
2021-11-25, 03:04 PM
But suddenly something caught his leg and he tripped
General Tarquin took him out with his whip!

And then Tarquin removes his own face and it turns out he was Indiana Jones(, but E-V-I-L) all along!

Aegeus
2021-12-28, 04:27 PM
It wouldn't hurt, unless of course you were Serini. :smalleek: (Since my brain is all 5e at the moment, I am not sure how effective/lethal/scalable a magic missile wand is in 3.5). A wand of web, if it has/has the range, might catch Serini for a round or two ... since she currently can't see Haley casting at her ... (based on last panel 6 of strip 1247).

Web is usually a great spell because it entangles the target even if they make their saving throw, but Dimension Door still beats it. It needs to be a spell that inflicts a status on Serini herself.

Good options that you might plausibly put in a wand would be Glitterdust (blinds her so she can't find her escape route, also reveals invisibility), Confusion (about 50-50 chance that Serini does something other than teleport away), Suggestion (I suggest you stop running and try to talk this out), and Hold Person. Serini would still get saving throws and spell resistance (if she has an item), but it's your best bet.

elros
2021-12-28, 08:30 PM
Web is usually a great spell because it entangles the target even if they make their saving throw, but Dimension Door still beats it. It needs to be a spell that inflicts a status on Serini herself.

Good options that you might plausibly put in a wand would be Glitterdust (blinds her so she can't find her escape route, also reveals invisibility), Confusion (about 50-50 chance that Serini does something other than teleport away), Suggestion (I suggest you stop running and try to talk this out), and Hold Person. Serini would still get saving throws and spell resistance (if she has an item), but it's your best bet.
Web is a great spell but very difficult to draw, so I can see why the Giant would avoid it.
V has used enchantment spells so I would be surprised if Haley had wands that did that. She is better off with wands that buff her and her allies.