PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Assessor Ranger subclass

Kaius
2021-11-12, 05:03 AM
The Assessors of the Great Academy were an order of explorers and naturalists sent to survey all the lands of the world and gather all the information they could about the peoples, places, history, and legends of every place they visited. Although the location of the Academy and fate of their original order of Assessors is forgotten in these days, there are those that would follow in the footsteps of the Assessors, who believe in the mission they once espoused.

Cultural Ambassador
Assessors were charged to enter various cultures and move amongst them, without causing disruption.

At level 3, you learn one additional language.

At level 3, gain Advantage on Persuasion or Deception checks as long as you aren't asking a person to do anything that would cost them money, or respect, or endanger them or those they care about.

Assessor's Toolkit
The following Spells were useful to and trained by those following in the footsteps or the tradition of the Order of Assessors.

These Assessor bonus spells become available whenever the Ranger gains access to spells of the appropriate level.

These spells are always prepared, and do not count against the number of spells the Ranger may prepare.

1st - Identify (Available at Level 3)

2nd - Locate Animals or Plants (Available at Level 5)

3rd - Sending (Available at Level 9)

4th - Arcane Eye (Available at Level 13)

5th - Antilife Shell (Available at Level 17)

Threat Assessment
At level 3, the Assessor gains the ability to, as a bonus action, Assess a target within 30 feet. Whenever you Assess a target, you identify the maximum damage it can deal with any particular weapon or natural weapon attack. Additionally, after using this ability to examine a creature, add 1d4 damage to each weapon attack you make against that creature until you use this ability against a different creature.

Threat Level Alpha
The original mission of the Assessors was to identify threats. Alpha class threats are those that unchecked pose a serious danger for humanity, or even for human extinction. Creatures like werewolves, drow, elementals, or vampires pose this sort of threat.

When your Assessor reaches level 7, you gain the ability to, up to your proficiency bonus number of times per day, when you Assess an enemy, you may designate it Threat Level Alpha as part of the same Bonus Action. If you do, whenever you hit that creature with an attack you may choose either: deal 2d4 damage against that creature, gain resistance to the next time it damages you before your next turn, or gain advantage the next time it would force you to make a saving throw before your next turn. You may not choose the same option more than once during a turn.

Academy Report
Assessors of the past would file their findings with the Academy, to further the basis of human knowledge. You can at least share them with your allies.

When the Assessor reaches level 11, they gain the following feature:

Whenever you assess a new creature, before your next Long Rest you may write a log entry about that creature and create an Assessment Report.

If you see the type of creature again that you have previously created an Assessment Report about, you gain the benefits of basic Assessment against it automatically.

Once per long rest, you may spend 1 minute reading and explaining any of your Assessment Reports to up to 8 allied creatures, each of whom may add 1d4 damage to all of their attacks against that type of creature for the next hour.

Threat Level Omega
Originally, the Assessment system ended at Threat Level Alpha. Few know about the highly classified Threat Level Omega entities. A Threat Level Omega entity is an individual creature of immense power, such as a Dragon, an Archlich, a Fiendish extraplanar being, a giant dinosaur, or a monster from the Far Realm beyond the stars.

At Level 15, Assessors gain their ultimate feature. Once per Long Rest, when you assess a creature, you may also designate it to be Threat Level Omega (you may also designate it Threat Level Alpha during the same Bonus Action). You gain 1 legendary action per round you may use immediately after the designated creature takes a Legendary Action, or causes a Critical to a creature you can see. This action may be used to Attack the designated creature (once only, ignoring the Extra Attack feature), or to perform any other Action except Casting a Spell.

Kaius
2021-11-12, 05:05 AM
This was my first attempt to do a subclass, I intend to ask my GM to play as it so I hope it's reasonable power (comparable to Monster Hunter or Fey Wanderer) and not too broken.

Bjarkmundur
2021-11-12, 06:04 AM
I love the flavor! I am horrible at balancing rangers, so I can't help much, other than give my complements! I would love to play this, no matter how it ends up being changed for balancing reasons in the future :D

Kaius
2021-11-12, 12:47 PM
I love the flavor! I am horrible at balancing rangers, so I can't help much, other than give my complements! I would love to play this, no matter how it ends up being changed for balancing reasons in the future :D

Thanks! The mechanical abilities came last, the flavor was first priority so I'm glad it came across well.

Bjarkmundur
2021-11-14, 04:12 AM
I hope one of the big guns on here are willing to help out. This works great for the type of explorative scholar type of game. I have a Arcane Trickster "librarian" that travels the world looking for powerful and Interesting spell scrolls that would work so well with this archetype! Pair these two guys up with a "Grimms Brothers" bard and a Spellcaster or artificer looking for ancient relics, and you have the most curious party in Faerun!

Kaius
2021-11-14, 03:19 PM
Version 2 - based on feedback from my GM, this is slightly clarified wording on some ambiguous features, enables Threat Assessment to function via remote vision abilities, and a change to Cultural Ambassador because he said the original version provided too much meta-information based on when a person gained the benefit of the feature.

Assessor Subclass

The Assessors of the Great Academy were an order of explorers and naturalists sent to survey all the lands of the world and gather all the information they could about the peoples, places, history, and legends of every place they visited. Although the location of the Academy and fate of their original order of Assessors is forgotten in these days, there are those that would follow in the footsteps of the Assessors, who believe in the mission they once espoused.

Cultural Ambassador
Assessors were charged to enter various cultures and move amongst them, without causing disruption.

At level 3, you learn one additional language.

At level 3, gain proficiency in Persuasion or Deception, (or another skill of your choice if you already have both.)

Assessor's Toolkit
The following Spells were useful to and trained by those following in the footsteps or the tradition of the Order of Assessors.

These Assessor bonus spells become available whenever the Ranger gains access to spells of the appropriate level.

These spells are always prepared, and do not count against the number of spells the Ranger may prepare.

1st - Identify (Available at Level 3)

2nd - Locate Animals or Plants (Available at Level 5)

3rd - Sending (Available at Level 9)

4th - Arcane Eye (Available at Level 13)

5th - Antilife Shell (Available at Level 17)

Threat Assessment
At level 3, the Assessor gains the ability to, as a bonus action, Assess a target within 30 feet from you or an object or creature from which you are remotely receiving visual information, such as Arcane Eye. Whenever you Assess a target, you identify the maximum damage it can deal with any particular weapon or natural weapon attack. Additionally, after using this ability to examine a creature, add 1d4 damage to each weapon attack you make against that creature for the next hour or until you use this ability against a different creature.

Threat Level Alpha
The original mission of the Assessors was to identify threats. Alpha class threats are those that unchecked pose a serious danger for humanity, or even for human extinction. Creatures like werewolves, drow, elementals, or vampires are among those that pose this sort of threat, although an Assessor may designate any enemy they choose with the following feature.

When your Assessor reaches level 7, you gain the ability to, up to your proficiency bonus number of times per day, when you Assess an enemy, you may designate it Threat Level Alpha as part of the same Bonus Action. If you do, whenever you hit that creature with an attack you may choose either: deal 2d4 damage against that creature, gain resistance to the next time it damages you before your next turn, or gain advantage the next time it would force you to make a saving throw before your next turn. You may not choose the same option more than once during a turn.

Academy Report
Assessors of the past would file their findings with the Academy, to further the basis of human knowledge. You can at least share them with your allies.

When the Assessor reaches level 11, they gain the following feature:

Whenever you Assess a new creature, before your next Long Rest you may write a log entry about that creature and create an Assessment Report.

When you encounter another creature of the same kind as a creature that you have previously created an Assessment Report about, you gain the benefits of Threat Assessment against it automatically. (If it uses the same stat block as an Assessed Creature, it is the same kind of creature for the purposes of this feature. If it uses a different stat block, it is not the same creature.)

Once per long rest, you may spend 1 minute reading and explaining any of your Assessment Reports to up to twice your proficiency bonus in allies, each of whom gains the benefits of Threat Assessment against a creature of the same kind as the creature the Assessment Report described.

Threat Level Omega
Originally, the Assessment system ended at Threat Level Alpha. Few know about the highly classified Threat Level Omega entities. A Threat Level Omega entity might be an individual creature of immense power, such as a Dragon, an Archlich, a Fiendish extraplanar being, a giant dinosaur, or a monster from the Far Realm beyond the stars. Regardless, an individual Assessor may use the below feature on any creature they Assess.

At Level 15, Assessors gain their ultimate feature. Once per Long Rest, when you Assess a creature, you may also designate it to be Threat Level Omega (you also gain all the benefits of having Designated it Threat Level Alpha and using Threat Assessment on it). You gain 1 Legendary action per round you may use immediately after the designated creature takes a Legendary or Mythic Action, or causes a Critical to a creature you can see. This action may be used to Attack the designated creature (once only, ignoring the Extra Attack feature), or to perform any other Action except Casting a Spell.

The Assessor also gains Advantage on their first attack each round against each target they have Assessed.