PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Human-like Fey, Giants and Monstrous Humanoids

Thurbane
2021-11-14, 09:09 PM
Weird question, for my own odd purposes: which Fey, Giant and Monstrous Humanoid type creatures are most similar to typical Humans?

Similar in both appearance and mindset would be ideal. Also, if they dwell in cities would be bonus points. Obviously size will be an issue with Giants, so large or smaller is acceptable.

Looking for untemplated base Fey, Giants, and Monstrous Humanoids only please.

Looking for 3E official, no PF, no Dragon Mag (other than the hardback compendium), no Ravenloft, no Kalamar, no Dragonlance (apart from Campaign Setting).

I know it's an odd and open-ended question, but interested to see what people suggest.

Cheers - T

Doctor Despair
2021-11-14, 09:19 PM
Weird question, for my own odd purposes: which Fey, Giant and Monstrous Humanoid type creatures are most similar to typical Humans?

Similar in both appearance and mindset would be ideal. Also, if they dwell in cities would be bonus points. Obviously size will be an issue with Giants, so large or smaller is acceptable.

Looking for untemplated base Fey, Giants, and Monstrous Humanoids only please.

Looking for 3E official, no PF, no Dragon Mag (other than the hardback compendium), no Ravenloft, no Kalamar, no Dragonlance (apart from Campaign Setting).

I know it's an odd and open-ended question, but interested to see what people suggest.

Cheers - T

I suppose I'll start things off by listing off medium creatures of those types off the SRD that, to my eye, could pass for human.

Nymph
Unseelie Nymph (will refuse to live in a city though)
Doppelganger (can change shape)
Medusa (add a hat)

Rebel7284
2021-11-15, 02:10 AM
Half Giant and Goliath are Giant and Monstrous Humanoid respectively and are both very similar to particularly strong humans, including being medium.

Saintheart
2021-11-15, 02:12 AM
Tibbits, Lupins? Both Monstrous Humanoids.

Saint-Just
2021-11-15, 03:07 AM
Killoren (RotW) are literally "nature’s answer to the rising power of man". Very humanoid for a fey.

Fizban
2021-11-15, 04:13 AM
I don't believe they normally dwell in cities, but Nature Spirits from Oriental Adventures are basically Dryads of any arbitrary natural object, and are specifically noted as often marrying humans (which is where Spirit Folk come from).

Quentinas
2021-11-15, 04:21 AM
Feytouched in fiend folio could live in cities if I remember well

Wildstag
2021-11-15, 01:54 PM
Domovoi from Frostburn are (Fire) subtyped Fey that could reasonably dwell in cities.

There is a weird issue with them though. The monster statblock lists them as having an LA +4 and two RHD. The "Domovoi as Characters" section doesn't list type or subtype and gives than an LA +2. The way I interpret is that they were intended to be LA +2 and statblock just weirdly adds the RHD to the LA.

Thurbane
2021-11-15, 03:02 PM
Feytouched and Half-Giants are great suggestions, as are many of the rest.

Monstrous Humanoids are a bit tougher though...Doppelganger could work.

I'm not fussed about ECL or LA, this is more for NPC use.

Frost Folk are relatively Human-looking?

PoeticallyPsyco
2021-11-15, 03:30 PM
Storm Riders (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20040110a) seem remarkably human, but pretty isolationist and solitary.

EDIT: Although apparently they like Storm Giants, and occasionally attend court.

Wildstag
2021-11-15, 04:23 PM
Feytouched and Half-Giants are great suggestions, as are many of the rest.

Monstrous Humanoids are a bit tougher though...Doppelganger could work.

I'm not fussed about ECL or LA, this is more for NPC use.

Frost Folk are relatively Human-looking?

Ah, I actually missed the "similar to human" line that would probably exclude a 2-foot tall domovoi. Frost Folk are indeed human-looking, save for the startlingly pale-blue eyes.

The Yuki-On-Na from Frostburn also has human-like appearance while being fey. They also seem to have a mysterious +4 deflection bonus to AC that probably is just Charisma being applied to AC like the Nereid seem to get.

hamishspence
2021-11-15, 05:11 PM
Half ogre might work as "Large, yet capable of passing for a very big human".

Short half-ogres can be shorter than very tall humans (Jotenbrud, from Races of Faerun, who are humans with a feat representing a trace of giant ancestry, are exceptionally tall).

ShurikVch
2021-11-15, 08:44 PM
How about?..

Fey:
Bile Wrapped in Beauty (https://web.archive.org/web/20090602142753/http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20040411a)?
Leanan Sidhe (https://web.archive.org/web/20040604042258/http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/mm/mm20020315a)?
Rusalka?

Giants:
Frost Giants are pretty human-like (size aside). If size does matter - maybe shrink them with some magic?

Monstrous Humanoids:
Hagspawn (Unapproachable East) - select the "Hag ancestor" with more convenient coloration
Yuan-ti Pureblood - pretty human-like (if don't look them in the mouth)

Thurbane
2021-11-15, 09:21 PM
Good suggestions! Yuan-ti Pureblood is a great call, espcially since I often use Yuan-ti in my games anyway.

Gruftzwerg
2021-11-16, 12:56 AM
If small Feys are OK, I would suggest Redcaps (I abused them for my Papa Smurf build xD ). They are real power horse and can be adjusted to party lvl due to their special way to "Advance:".