PDA

View Full Version : Spell thematics for a bard/ hexblade

Hiro Quester
2021-11-14, 11:26 PM
In our next campaign, at third level a spellcaster can apply a unique theme to all their spells. I’m looking for theme ideas.

This free spell thematics adds roleplaying and descriptive flavor, and adds +2 to the DC to identify the spell being cast, but a DC 14 investigation check would enable someone familiar with your theme to identify you as the caster.

I’m playing a glory-seeking half elf, bard 1 hexblade 2 (intending something like Bard1/hexblade 5/ bard +2 (swords) /more bard and hexblade, proportions will depend on the campaign. (I know this isn’t terribly optimized. But our party has many full casters: Druid, cleric, wizard, plus paladin and artificer. Bard is to add flavor and lower-level spell slots to a hexblade, at least at lower levels)

He’s the party’s PR agent, working to increase our reputation, fame and fortune, etc.

High cha, dex, and con. Penalties to wis and int. He’s elegant, graceful and charming, but foolhardy and not terribly sharp.

He’s from a privileged noble elven family (but the unwanted bastard). He’s used to luxury and comfort. But used to having to work hard to endear himself to those who might otherwise dismiss him. So he’s always charming, optimistic and cheerful, putting a positive spin on things, giving compliments, and making friends, whenever he can. A bit of a social climber when possible.

His gnome mentor taught him the value of a well crafted illusion, and to use pranks and laughter to humble those who abuse their power.

He believes he’s awesome, or at least destined to become so. Always very well dressed (using prestidigitation to remain spotlessly clean). He wants to become the epitome of the dashing swordsman.

He worships a goddess of fertility, festivals, dance, lovers and passion. He dances as well as singing and telling stories, etc. Chaotic good.

After the pact of the blade and college of swords, his sword will be his arcane focus. Before that, he’ll use a musical instrument (horn, probably) for bard spells.

Many of his bard spells will be illusions and enchantments. But also combat spells (GFB, Eldrich blast, shield, armor of Agathys, mirror image, hex, faerie fire, smites, shadow of moil, polymorph, counterspell, misty step, etc.). Using elven accuracy to crit fish, and pumping Eldritch Smites and sword flourishes into those.

We have not yet started the campaign. The nature of the hexblade patron will be revealed later. I expect it to be dark, though. Probably involving a young bard taking a visit to a crossroads at midnight.

So what kinds of theme might work for such a character? Swordsmaship, music, dance, flowers, fertility, a little mischief, plus a darker element?

Suggestions for how to create a theme, and examples applying it to various spells, would be most appreciated.

Chad.e.clark
2021-11-16, 09:57 PM
Having everything be a celebration sounds like this character's theme. Excited shouts, whoops and hollers as he fences off with his chosen foe! His faerie fire goes off like fireworks, his dissonant whispers sounding like a crowd in a thundrous amphitheater chanting along with the song. His Eldritch Blasts fire off like a confetti popper.

And for the darker turn: every battle is another chance to celebrate life by celebrating death. One only has meaning because of the other.

Perhaps the hexblade patron is a fallen disciple of the fertility goddess, a former champion wanting to share the truth he learned from his travels long ago.

Hiro Quester
2021-11-18, 12:31 PM
That’s a really good idea. Thanks!

I’m now imagining most spells accompanied by the sound and shadowy images (just out of the periphery of your vision) of a large crowd/audience’s reactions:
shouting “Oooohhh”, “Aaahhhh”, “Wow!” (Illusions), “uhhhh ahhh” or “Nooooo!” for effects that deny others their intention (e.g. shield, counterspell, hellish rebuke), impressed and concerned gasps of alarm or surprise (eldrich blast), thunderous applause and cheering (thunder wave), stunned surprise (invisibility), boos and jeers (bane), hilarious laughter (hideous laughter), taunts (dissonant whispers), shushing (silence), and so on.

Also sound-effects like “tahdah” played by a chorus of horns, fireworks, soothing music and shushing (calm emotions, sleep).

And many spells having visual manifestations like things done to impress and entertain a crowd (confetti cannon for eldrich blast, a big foam finger with “#1” written on it for a shield spell, etc.)

This is just the suggestion I needed. I was not thinking along these lines at all, but it works very well. Thanks for the inspiration.