PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody tried Injury rules (UA)

Rad
2007-11-18, 05:46 PM
Unearthed Arcana proposes an injury system to replace HP altogether (very similar to how damage is dealt with in d20 modern True20). Has anybody tried it? What were your impressions? Is it easier or harder to die that way? How does it impact the overall game balance?

Please share your experiences :smallsmile:

EDIT: corrected.

UserClone
2007-11-18, 05:57 PM
Damage is dealt with in D20 Modern in the exact same way as in D&D: Hit Points. The only difference is the MUCH lower Massive Damage threshold.

Rad
2007-11-19, 03:13 AM
Damage is dealt with in D20 Modern in the exact same way as in D&D: Hit Points. The only difference is the MUCH lower Massive Damage threshold.

Corrected :smalltongue:

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-19, 03:45 AM
I ran a one-shot with that system. We switched to HP mid-game, after a spider nearly took out the entire party. It takes a long time to die with that system.

Quote from that session:

"Quick, everybody roll HP before we all die!"

EDIt-

I think part of the issue was that the spider had a decent Fort Save. 2 HP, but a +2 Fort save. Meanwhile, it was dealing ability damage. It was much more heinous than a spider has any business doing.

TheOOB
2007-11-19, 04:02 AM
The trouble with that system is that it is very random, and randomness always works in favor of the NPCs. A bad roll can quickly spell death for a player, and a string of good rolls can make a monster nearly invincible.

I've come to the conclusion that if you don't want an hp system, D&D really isn't the game to play.

BirdseyeSpeedwe
2007-11-19, 06:26 AM
I was in a game whre the DM attampted to play with the injury system and it was more of a hinderence then a help. We were all to confused with the new system and kept messing up and reverting back to normal hit points ... the DM even got confused at times.

Maby if its a bunch of new gamers it might work, but all of us had started in 1st and 2nd ed ... and old habits are hard to break lol :smallsmile: