PDA

View Full Version : Spells with Gatekeeper Feats

YellowJohn
2021-11-15, 05:38 PM
Feats that add spells to your class spell list are fairly well documented.

There also exist spells that are technically already on your class list, but which you require a feat to be able to use.

I'm interested in those feats. Feats such as Mother Cyst (LM) and Incarnum Spellshaper (MoI). Spells in the Tome of Magic have Truespeak components and therefore require at least 1 rank in Truespeak.

Can anyone think of any other feats (or skills) out there which 'gatekeep' spells? What sources do they appear in?

ShurikVch
2021-11-15, 08:21 PM
Dragon Magic (Dragon #308) and War Magic Study (Dragon #309)

Creation spell line:

You must succeed on an appropriate skill check to make a complex item, such as Craft (bowmaking) check to make straight arrow shafts

Create Magic Tattoo asks for at least 1 rank in Craft (drawing, painting, calligraphy, or a similar Craft skill)

Beget Bogun required Craft Wondrous Item feat and DC 12 Craft (basketweaving or weaving) check

Metamorphosis:

If you attempt to take the form of a complex object, you must make an appropriate skill check. For instance, if you want to take the form of a beautiful painting, you must make a Craft (painting) check against a DC set by the DM to determine the quality of the painting. If you fail the check, your manifestation of the power does not succeed.
Likewise, you cannot take the form of a complex mechanical mechanism unless you have some sort of skill associated with the object.

YellowJohn
2021-11-16, 01:22 PM
Thanks.
Hopefully that now gives a complete list :-)

Telonius
2021-11-16, 02:09 PM
Improved Oneiromancy is a gatekeeper feat for the Oneiromancy line of spells, from Heroes of Horror. Those spells are technically not on any particular spell list (other than the one that's a Dream Domain spell), but Improved Oneiromancy adds them all to the list. You still have to learn them as normal, if applicable; if you get it as a Fixed-List caster (like Beguiler for example) you'd just be able to cast them normally without any other hassle.

Thurbane
2021-11-16, 06:31 PM
Aren't there a bunch of "Initiate of" FR feats that are the only way to get certain divine spells? If I'm understanding OP correctly, they would qualify?

Initiate of Anhur
Initiate of Bane
Initiate of Cyric
Initiate of Eilistraee
Initiate of Ghaunadaur
Initiate of Gond
Initiate of Gruumsh
Initiate of Helm
Initiate of Horus-Re
Initiate of Lathander
Initiate of Malar
Initiate of Mystra
Initiate of Nature
Initiate of Nobanion
Initiate of Selune
Initiate of the Holy Realm
Initiate of Tymora

...not sure if I missed any, or any have been updated to have non-unique spells.

I'm assuming spells with racial components don't count?