PDA

View Full Version : Question about Elocator

Phhase
2021-11-16, 07:00 PM
So I came across Elocator recently, and was struck by the wording of Scorn Earth. You can move at normal speed when within 1 foot of *any* surface, but if you move higher than that your speed is reduced to 10 feet. I'm confused as to what use cases this wording is alluding to. It clearly doesn't allow for flight, but "flat surface" is a bit of a contradiction, since it also clearly states that difficult terrain doesn't affect your movement, but difficult terrain could only rarely ever be also described as "flat".

Long story short: can I Marty McFly up walls and ceilings as long as I stay at hover distance?

Psyren
2021-11-16, 08:33 PM
As written, the detrimental "higher than one foot above any surface" clause will kick in as soon as you leave the floor, even if you stay within 1 foot of a wall or ceiling.

For this reason, I highly recommend you use the PF Elocater (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/psionic-prestige-classes/elocater/) instead, which was given additional abilities to allow Scorn Earth to function probably as the original designers intended, as well as making it a better combatant in general. One such ability is Personal Gravity, which lets your Elocater orient themselves such that walls and ceilings become their personal "ground" and thus don't trigger this clause.

KillianHawkeye
2021-11-16, 11:32 PM
I would think that the Up The Walls psionic feat would allow an elocator to use their ability on vertical surfaces.