PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Dweomer of Transference is a wacky spell.

Blueiji
2021-11-18, 12:33 AM
Currently gearing up to play a bard with Shadow Evocation, and in my sourcebook diving I stumbled upon this odd, little gem of a spell—Dweomer of Transference (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/spells/dweomerOfTransference.htm).

There's a Psion in the party, so I'm very curious as to how this spell actually plays out. It seems clear cut that the target is effectively immune to spells for the duration of the spell, but the note about converting to power points feels trickier.

Do any spells cast upon the target get converted into power points? Or do only spells I (the caster of the Dweomer of Transference) cast upon the target get turned into power points?

The line of the text which reads "for the duration of the spell, any spells cast at the subject don’t have their usual effect, instead converting themselves harmlessly into psionic energy that the subject can use as energy for psionic powers" feels like it indicates the former interpretation, but the rest of the spell's text exclusively uses the phrase "you," which might indicate the latter interpretation.

What does the playground think? And are there any official FAQs, clarifications, or errata on this spell?

danielxcutter
2021-11-18, 01:02 AM
For the duration of the spell, any spells cast at the subject don’t have their usual effect, instead converting themselves harmlessly into psionic energy that the subject can use as energy for psionic powers.

If one reads the power absorbing all spells being cast at the target, then it seems that it should convert spells cast by other people as well.

That being said, I'm not sure if the intention was for allowing any and all spells cast to be converted, or just spells that the caster uses on the target in the first place. The wording does seem to imply that it's just the caster's, but it's ambiguous enough that I guess it could be interpreted either way.

Beni-Kujaku
2021-11-18, 02:19 AM
"You can convert some of your spells"
"You can cast any spell you like"

I believe the RAI is clear.

Fouredged Sword
2021-11-18, 07:20 AM
It requires you specifically to cast the spells.

But I see no reason why this shouldn't be abuseable with at will SLA's. Get an at will SLA and you can use it to give the party psion an unlimited stream of temp PP they can use to manifest powers. It's 1 round per level, so you can't do anything TOO crazy with it unless you cheese things, but still neat.