PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Can a Domain Druid use Heretic of the Faith to change their Domain?

thorr-kan
2021-11-18, 04:25 PM
Domain Druid is from Unearthed Arcana. It can pick Animal, Plant, Sun, Air, Earth, Fire, or Water as a domain. It gets domain power, the domain spells, and a domain spell slot per level. (Like clerics.)

Heretic of the Faith requires: Patron Deity and either Divine Spellcasting ability or Code of Conduct class ability.

Druids have divine spellcasting. They are not required, but can, have a Patron Deity. Only PC I can find with Code of Conduct is the paladin, but cleric mentions the *god's* Code of Conduct.

Druid's must be some flavor of neutral. Is that enough to cover the Code of Conduct requirement?

daremetoidareyo
2021-11-18, 04:33 PM
The “or” indicates to me that you don’t need a code of conduct

thorr-kan
2021-11-18, 05:04 PM
The “or” indicates to me that you don’t need a code of conduct
I typo'd that requirement. Original post corrected.

ETA: And based on the actual wording, rather than my paraphrasing, you would be correct.

Thurbane
2021-11-18, 06:24 PM
Well, Druids do sorta have a code of conduct anyway, around wearing metal armor...

Druids are proficient with light and medium armor but are prohibited from wearing metal armor; thus, they may wear only padded, leather, or hide armor. (A druid may also wear wooden armor that has been altered by the ironwood spell so that it functions as though it were steel. See the ironwood spell description) Druids are proficient with shields (except tower shields) but must use only wooden ones.

A druid who wears prohibited armor or carries a prohibited shield is unable to cast druid spells or use any of her supernatural or spell-like class abilities while doing so and for 24 hours thereafter.

thorr-kan
2021-11-18, 09:48 PM
Well, Druids do sorta have a code of conduct anyway, around wearing metal armor...
Right, and combined with the "ya gotta be some neutral flavor," I think it counts. But I'm willing to hear other opinions.

Arkhios
2021-11-19, 05:53 AM
Going purely by RAW, alignment or armor restriction are not same as Code of Conduct. CoC is an actual rules element and term used for a specific purpose, not merely a concept to be freely implemented without consequences (that is not to say you still couldn't adhere to a code of conduct out of your free will, but then it's merely flavor, not a requirement to continue doing your thing).

As an aside, alignments are a universal force in D&D, and so deviating from one does have meaningful consequences (for example, several spells and effects affect you differently depending on your alignment etc). Even though alignment is not a class feature per sé, every creature has one, and as such it matters for certain decisions you make.
In similar vein, the choice of whether your character worships a deity or not is a meaningful choice with consequences that may vary setting from setting. Some settings almost "handwave" the deities' influence in the world (for example Dark Sun or even Eberron) while others all but enforce it (Forgotten Realms).

Likewise, druids' inability to wear armor made from, or with parts of, metal is a universal effect bestowed by a universal force or higher powers (a.k.a. game designers/masters of the multiverse) (at least in D&D 3.X; in 5e it's been alleviated to mere 'unwillingness' from the druids' part, meaning they can do so without exploding, as a certain designer expressed it).

So, my point is, that for a druid, strictly per RAW, their divine spellcasting ability and (however optional) Patron Deity should be enough to satisfy the feat's requirements.

Since the feat in question is from a Forgotten Realms specific book, RAI (rules as intended ...or interpreted), it definitely suggests it should work for a druid.

In a setting other than Forgotten Realms, I wouldn't be so sure about allowing it, however.

Thurbane
2021-11-19, 02:23 PM
This got me thinking... which classes actually do have a listed Code of Conduct:

Consecrated Harrier
Dragon Ascendant
Harper Scout*
Holy Scourge
Hospitaler
Jordain Vizier
Knight of the Pearl*
Knight Protector of the Great Kingdom
Knight Protector*
Maquar Crusader
Paladin (and variants)/Prestige Paladin
Risen Martyr
Sacred Fist
Shintao Monk
Spellcarved Soldier
Vigilant Sentinel of Aerenal

...did I miss any?

Arkhios
2021-11-20, 02:24 AM
This got me thinking... which classes actually do have a listed Code of Conduct:

Consecrated Harrier
Dragon Ascendant
Harper Scout*
Holy Scourge
Hospitaler
Jordain Vizier
Knight of the Pearl*
Knight Protector of the Great Kingdom
Knight Protector*
Maquar Crusader
Paladin (and variants)/Prestige Paladin
Risen Martyr
Sacred Fist
Shintao Monk
Spellcarved Soldier
Vigilant Sentinel of Aerenal

...did I miss any?

Gray Guard prestige class

thorr-kan
2021-12-10, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the opinions, folks.

So my LN Druid of Wee Jas using Heretic of the Faith (Necromancy) is just about possible.

Arkhios
2021-12-10, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the opinions, folks.

So my LN Druid of Wee Jas using Heretic of the Faith (Necromancy) is just about possible.

Sure, as long as your DM is willing to allow a Forgotten Realms specific feat with a Greyhawk deity. (Not saying it's not possible, just that personally, different settings and therefore their unique resources should be kept separate).