PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What should my Swarm PC be made of (Non-Bug Spathinae)

Blind_Prophet
2021-11-19, 12:52 AM
Hey all, my home group is finishing up Devastation Ark which we started w/ the same characters we finished Fly Free or Die with. Next up is going to be Horizons of the Vast (Space Kingmaker on unexplored world) and I'll be playing a Neurochemist Biohacker1/Medic Empath Mystic11.

I REALLY like the idea of playing a sentient swarm but bugs freak me out so my DM is letting me have it made out of something else, off the top of my head i was thinking birds since i was going to have my characters voice be melodic like a choir in perfect harmony, but at normal human "inside voice" volume. My other thought was a variety of plants.

That said I'd like to hear some suggestions of what might be interesting but not too bug like (butterflies included :P)

Oh if it matters were going with Xenni-labs and i'm a sort of scientist/doctor and only the fluff is changing nothing mechanically. Here's the race: (each creature in the swarm fits roughly in a 1 inch cube)

https://aonsrd.com/Races.aspx?ItemName=Spathinae

Almus Rayne
2021-11-19, 02:11 AM
I'm sorry that I can't help you. I'm more of a standard fantasy pathfinder player and I don't really know much about sci-fi or the world you're playing in.... but I just had to say that the thought of playing a sentient swarm character is so cool! I was reading through the threads here and saw yours and couldn't help but exclaim, "That's cool! THAT'S COOL!" Really though, what a badass idea. I give you props for creativity.

I hope someone comes along to help you with this.

Blind_Prophet
2021-11-19, 02:12 AM

I will say its doesn't specifically need to be sci-fi related so feel free to suggest something if you got anything on your mind, if not thanks for posting anyways :D

Beni-Kujaku
2021-11-19, 04:13 AM
A few ideas off the top of my head:

-Passenger pigeons: These birds were known for flying in extremely compact packs that would even "https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/Passenger_pigeon_shooting_in_Iowa.jpg" with no sign of subdivision. You could play as a tiny version of these (there are projects of de-extinction of the species right now, maybe in the Starfinder future they did de-extinct it, but bred it to be much smaller so that it couldn't afect the crops), such that your character can still have a humanoid-looking shape.

-Dust: It's a valid form in d&d using the swarm-shifter template, and it could make for an interesting character for stealth and infiltration, since dust can be pretty inconspicuous in most places.

-Octopi: There are a bunch of small octopi (https://octonation.com/smallest-octopus-species/) which would make for pretty interesting Spathinae in my opinion. Bonus points if you can make your DM agree that the octopi can change colors like real ones do, making you able to mimic almost anything. If your DM makes you water dependant, it becomes a bit harder to justify, but I believe it would still be fun enough to play. Octopi can survive 30 minutes outside of water, and you could have some sort of portable aquarium in your armor for your spathinae to take a dive in once in a while.

-Sentient human cells: Yes, you are literally just a human, but you can break apart at-will. Cheesy but probably fun.

-Gazers: If you find insects creepy, why not be an amalgamation of literal eyeballs with even more eyeballs on stalks? If you really want to look alien to everybody, that's the way to go.

Blind_Prophet
2021-11-19, 01:35 PM
so dust, birds and beholders all sound fun, added to the list :)

speaking of the list here's what i have so far thanks to many peoples suggestions :)

Swarm Creatures: Ferrets, Dragons, Various Plants, Frogs, Owlcats, Bears, Monkeys, Birds, Giant extremely miniature space Hamsters (We are Boo!), Ashes/Dust/Sand/Dirt/Earth, Crystals, Gems, Oozes, Living Pixel Art, Beholders

Please keep em' coming you all are really helping my imagination run wild :)

ShurikVch
2021-11-19, 02:24 PM
How about a swarm of Constructs, or Elementals?

Maat Mons
2021-11-19, 03:46 PM
Pixies, little robots, independently-animated hands, kittens, snails.

Raven777
2021-11-19, 05:19 PM
Since this seems to be Starfinder, maybe some kind of nanites?

Blind_Prophet
2021-11-19, 05:22 PM
How about a swarm of Constructs, or Elementals?

if i didnt JUST play a construct/consturct-like PC (SRO) i'd be totally down I LOVE constructs, artificers, SF mechanics, etc. just aiming to play something different

Pixies, little robots, independently-animated hands, kittens, snails.

Pixies added, see above for robots, hands is creepy, kittens added (maybe Tressyms? or in honor of PF Wrath game Owlcats :D), snails not really feeling that

Since this seems to be Starfinder, maybe some kind of nanites?

see above :(

Palanan
2021-11-19, 11:05 PM
What about hummingbirds?

PoeticallyPsyco
2021-11-20, 01:13 AM
I'm a fan of Dread Blossom Swarms, swarms of flying vampiric roses.

Flying snakes/fish/squirrels!

For that matter, does it have to be a flying swarm?

Particle_Man
2021-11-20, 01:34 AM
If it helps, here is a list of the most melodic birds. Scroll down a little. Wrens make the list so you could call yourself Christopher Wren. :smallcool:

https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/most-beautiful-birds-bird-sounds-ever/19230

As awesome as kittens are, it would be hard to reform after swarming. As hard as . . . herding cats. :smallbiggrin:

Blind_Prophet
2021-11-20, 06:24 PM
I'm a fan of Dread Blossom Swarms, swarms of flying vampiric roses.

Flying snakes/fish/squirrels!

For that matter, does it have to be a flying swarm?

No they don't have to innately flying creatures, as for the suggestions snakes kinda of creep me out, playing this race was inspired by sentient fish swarms we met so i dont want to just straight up copy them and i also dont want to have to explain to the dm why they can breathe oxygen, as for flying squirrels that makes me think of sugar gliders and im totally adding those guys to my list :D

Oh and i dont want to be undead either. (in regards to dread blossoms)

If it helps, here is a list of the most melodic birds. Scroll down a little. Wrens make the list so you could call yourself Christopher Wren. :smallcool:

https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/most-beautiful-birds-bird-sounds-ever/19230

oh thanks that will be quite helpful :)

As awesome as kittens are, it would be hard to reform after swarming. As hard as . . . herding cats. :smallbiggrin:

Lol quite so :P

Jervis
2021-11-20, 06:37 PM
I recommend Crows personally. Very creepy.

False God
2021-11-20, 07:01 PM
Animate stuffed animals.

Murderous animate stuffed animals.

Blind_Prophet
2021-11-20, 07:44 PM
Animate stuffed animals.

Murderous animate stuffed animals.

Preferably the former, i am planning to be have the character be nice/good

Maat Mons
2021-11-20, 07:53 PM
As my avatar will attest, it's hard for a Good-aligned character to adventure with a murderous, haunted teddy bear.

https://images2.imgbox.com/02/46/UnzfRVcH_o.jpg

"Oh no Mister Fluffels! Not again! We talked about this!"

False God
2021-11-20, 08:14 PM
Preferably the former, i am planning to be have the character be nice/good

Okay, cuddly adorable animate stuffed animals.

Could always run a sort-of multiple personalities where not all of the stuffed animals are in agreement about how things should go down.

Particle_Man
2021-11-20, 08:55 PM
Another option could be miniature musical instruments so that you are literally an orchestra.

Blind_Prophet
2021-11-20, 08:56 PM
Another option could be miniature musical instruments so that you are literally an orchestra.

ooooo...totally added, im seriously gonna have a hard time choosing