PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Question about Rite Publishing's Luckbringer

Sir Edgen
2021-11-19, 04:22 AM
Okay, I got myself a book "The secrets of the luckbringer". Nearly every single review gave it 5/5, and it is certainly worth it. However, I have a question about one ability that I don't quite understand. Maybe I'm just being inattentive. This class uses the pool of points that allow him to alter luck (thus, the name), forcing rerolls and giving luck modifiers. The very first ability gives him three options to expend pool points.
The first one (I cite from https://www.d20pfsrd.com): A luckbringer can cause a reroll of one attack roll, combat maneuver check, or skill check that occurs within 100 ft. of her. She must be aware of this action to use this ability. She may declare the use of this ability after the original result is known. The character spends 1 moment of chance from her pool to force a reroll of the original d20 roll.
The second one: Apply a +1 luck bonus or –1 luck penalty to any single d20 roll resulting from an action that occurs within 100 ft. of the luckbringer. A luckbringer must be aware of the action and must declare the use of this ability before the roll is made.
Now, even if the second fails to mention expending pool points, it actually does and expends 1 point. It can also be improved twice to give +/-3 and be applied after the known roll.
And this is my question. Why would you ever use the second option and expend the same resources? You must use two selected class features to apply this modifier after the roll is made, the first option does it right away. Also reroll is far better than +/-1 and even +/-2, in my opinion. Is there something that I get wrong? Are there ways to abuse the second option?
Thanks in advance

aimlessPolymath
2021-11-19, 01:58 PM
This isn't the right forum for this, note.

Broad guess is that it's useful to affect saving throws- but it also might just not have been thought through clearly.