PDA

View Full Version : Katalepsis; a webserial

halfeye
2021-11-19, 06:21 PM
Anybody else reading this?

For those that might be interested it's a tale mostly set in the small town of Sharrowford (the name of which appears to be a merger of Sheffield, Harrowgate and Bradford), there's a lot of lesbianism in it, though so far no on-screen sex.

So far there have been more lesbian than non-lesbian females.

It is a tale of horror and romance.

https://katalepsis.net/

akma
2021-11-20, 04:50 AM
Heard about it from you, just read 1.1, it seems interesting. Interesting first meeting between Raina and Heather, good prose. I haven't got much to say about it yet, maybe I'll post again once I'll read more chapters.

Ibrinar
2021-11-21, 06:07 PM
I started it a while ago, but will finish some other stuff first before catching up, the chapters I read were promising though.

halfeye
2021-11-25, 11:02 AM
It's probably not for everyone, human males are either bad guys, non-entities, or dupes. It's different from Pale in that it's not juvenile oriented, the magic in it is different, but there definitely are similarities to my mind.

akma
2021-12-04, 01:38 AM
The last chapter I've read is 7-11.

It's probably not for everyone, human males are either bad guys, non-entities, or dupes.

Yes, that part and the focus on "lesbianism" (that's not a real word, is it?) feels a bit ridiculous. It feels like eventually all the characters would be lesbians split into romantic pairs. Well written, interesting romantic relationships and not just fetish fuel or romantic idealism, but still. If that feeling is correct, it would probably really bother me in later parts of the story.

Some parts of the story feels like "fanservice" to me, which I generally dislike in works I take seriously, but so far it doesn't feel like too much so I'm not really bothered by it. Feels a bit odd though considering the author seemed to purposely avoid it in earlier parts of the story (Heather is horny as hell for Raina, but doesn't even think once about her boobs).

The prose is well written, the world is very interesting. I'm not sure if there will be a satisfactory explanation for the Eye motivations, but I hope there will be. Anatomically, the creatures feel like the author just written a random description she* felt like writing at the moment, without much consideration for consistency or some kind of deep logic. I guess she could get away with it considering it is cosmic horror, but I do feel like it's a hole in the worldbuilding.

The characters do feel too safe. I think Raina might die at the end of the current story arc (don't tell me if I'm right), but generally speaking, the characters are often in extremely dangerous situations without being killed, maimed or disfigured.

*It doesn't seem like the author gender or any other identifying information is written anywhere, but considering the content, I'm guessing it's a woman that really really likes other women. It would be funny if she's in a relationship that mirrors a relationship in the story, but I doubt it.

halfeye
2021-12-04, 10:58 AM
The last chapter I've read is 7-11.

Yes, that part and the focus on "lesbianism" (that's not a real word, is it?) feels a bit ridiculous.

Yes it is a word in English.

It feels like eventually all the characters would be lesbians split into romantic pairs. Well written, interesting romantic relationships and not just fetish fuel or romantic idealism, but still. If that feeling is correct, it would probably really bother me in later parts of the story.

Some parts of the story feels like "fanservice" to me, which I generally dislike in works I take seriously, but so far it doesn't feel like too much so I'm not really bothered by it. Feels a bit odd though considering the author seemed to purposely avoid it in earlier parts of the story (Heather is horny as hell for Raina, but doesn't even think once about her boobs).

"Raine" is spelt with an 'e' in the english version I'm reading. I'm not that bothered about the sexuality, I wouldn't mind if it stopped, but I won't mind if it doesn't stop either, and I don't think it will stop.

The prose is well written, the world is very interesting. I'm not sure if there will be a satisfactory explanation for the Eye motivations, but I hope there will be. Anatomically, the creatures feel like the author just written a random description she* felt like writing at the moment, without much consideration for consistency or some kind of deep logic. I guess she could get away with it considering it is cosmic horror, but I do feel like it's a hole in the worldbuilding.

I don't think the motivation of that particular entity is going to be revealed at all, but that's just my guess.

The characters do feel too safe. I think Raina might die at the end of the current story arc (don't tell me if I'm right), but generally speaking, the characters are often in extremely dangerous situations without being killed, maimed or disfigured.

Yeah, the main characters feel too safe, but they almost always do. A song of Ice and Fire is exceptional in that regard, it works because the world is the main character and the characters only ants moving about on it.

*It doesn't seem like the author gender or any other identifying information is written anywhere, but considering the content, I'm guessing it's a woman that really really likes other women. It would be funny if she's in a relationship that mirrors a relationship in the story, but I doubt it.

The author's actual sexuality or gender is irrelevant I think, probably luckily for everyone.