PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone played a Bonded Summoner?

Fero
2021-11-20, 01:22 AM
Hi all,

I was re-reading the Bonded Summoner yesterday and realized it is significantly better than I previously believed. The 5 lost caster levels is a bummer but the massive elemental with share spells seems amazing for a pseudo-gish build (using the elemental as the body). Does anyone have experience playing a Bonded Summoner? If so, what did you think and what recommendations would you make to play one effectively
?

Thurbane
2021-11-20, 01:53 AM
Hi all,

I was re-reading the Bonded Summoner yesterday and realized it is significantly better than I previously believed. The 5 lost caster levels is a bummer but the massive elemental with share spells seems amazing for a pseudo-gish build (using the elemental as the body). Does anyone have experience playing a Bonded Summoner? If so, what did you think and what recommendations would you make to play one effectively
?

I've always had a soft spot for the class. I think it would make a great Iron Chef ingredient.

Fizban
2021-11-20, 03:31 AM
I have not, though I think Bonded Summoner and the OA Shapeshifter are the best methods for fixing the Druid (by removing the problem features and putting them in PrCs). Through design or happy coincidence, the elemental gets its big jump in power and moves ahead of summoning spells at just around the same time the casting penalty becomes large enough to really matter. Delivering touch spells, in particular with the uber multi-touch spells in Magic of Eberron, should be highly effective. But it is still a split on your resources and high chance of conflict with any melee character in the party: if the melee PCs don't clearly outshine the elemental whenever it's not buffed to the gills, it could be a problem.

I once read a sort of campaign report/review of the class, where the writer thought it was just barely usable. . . but they were also using a ruling that specifically allowed them multiple elemental companions to "reach" that point. So it's pretty obvious the power level and type of game they were comparing it to was not anything like what it's intended for.

Fero
2021-11-24, 12:16 PM
Thank you for your insights!