PDA

View Full Version : Artificer Infusion Question

Khrysaes
2021-11-20, 06:38 AM
Artificer's infusion "replicate magic item" says

Alternatively, you can choose the magic item from among the common magic items in the game, not including potions or scrolls.

Then, Spellwrought tattoo say:

Produced by a special needle, this magic tattoo contains a single spell of up to 5th level, wrought on your skin by a magic needle. To use the tattoo, you must hold the needle against your skin and speak the command word. The needle turns into ink that becomes the tattoo, which appears on the skin in whatever design you like. Once the tattoo is there, you can cast its spell, requiring no material components.

Specifically Cantrips and 1st level spells are common magic items.

Questions:
When selecting the tattoo as an infusion:

1: Do you have to pick one specific spell?
2: Or do you pick the tattoo as a whole and can change the spell
Note: D&D Beyond doesn't have one select a spell.

3: If you have Find Familiar as the spell, after casting the spell and the tattoo vanishing, do you still have the familiar?

4: Can this be used to give an entire party familiars?

Mastikator
2021-11-20, 06:44 AM
I think RAW you can replicate any spell and it will even bypass material component requirements.

I think your DM will definitely curb you if you try it though, especially if you try this as a 2nd level character. I know I'd limit it to the artificer spell list.

Amnestic
2021-11-20, 06:55 AM
I believe that, RAW, you can pick any spell when you use the infusion, rather than picking a spell when you select the infusion at level up.

You bypass material components and spell lists, as written. You do keep the Familiar after using the tattoo, and yes, this can allow you to give a familiar to your entire party.

Not yet come up in my games but if it did, I'd give the artificer the choice of either a) a single spell from any list, that they can't change, or b) any spell from the artificer list, that they can change.

ScoutTrooper
2021-11-20, 01:56 PM
1: Do you have to pick one specific spell?
2: Or do you pick the tattoo as a whole and can change the spell
Note: D&D Beyond doesn't have one select a spell.

3: If you have Find Familiar as the spell, after casting the spell and the tattoo vanishing, do you still have the familiar?

4: Can this be used to give an entire party familiars?

#1 & #2 I'd rule that at time of gaining the infusion, you must pick the spellwrought tattoo. Then post long rest when you infuse the item to be the spellwrought tattoo needle, you pick the cantrip or level 1 spell then. I don't see the point in forcing you you pick a second 'replicate magic item' infusion, just to pick another spell for the tattoo.
#3 Tattoo vanishes as per the text, Familiar hangs around til dismiss or *pop
#4 Absolutely I would allow

Psyren
2021-11-20, 05:03 PM
Yeah I wouldn't have it be fixed either. You would choose when you infuse the needle after your long rest.

What it translates to is a 1/day extra 1st level spell or cantrip, it's hardly broken.