PDA

View Full Version : My enemy, myself

Mewtarthio
2007-11-18, 11:18 PM
The Corrupt Avenger (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20051006b&page=1) PrC is for those who have dedicated themselves to the destruction of a single Sworn Foe. What happens if they become their own Sworn Foe, though?

Say we've got a man who hates Troglodytes. Maybe they killed his parents, or maybe he just really hates the smell, but whatever the reason he grows up to become a Corrupt Avenger dedicated to the destruction of Troglodytes. Unfortunately, while hunting Troglodytes in their lairs, tragedy occurs: A powerful Troglodyte Sorceror hits our Corrupt Avenger with a Disintigrate and reduces him to dust. His Druid companion decides to Reincarnate him, and per Murphy's Law the 1-in-100 chance comes up and brings him back as a Troglodyte.

What happens now? Even if he's not considered to be "facing his Sworn Enemy in combat," odds are he's going to fight some Troglodytes eventually, and when he does, his Frenzy will run to his maximum length, since he's always within sixty feet of himself. More importantly, he's dedicated his life to the elimination of Troglodytes, a group that now includes himself. Does he demand a new body and commit suicide? Does he just say, "Meh, I don't count"? Can he exclude himself like that (certainly any other Corrupt Avengers out to purge all Troglodytes won't give him any special exemptions)? Do the gods chuckle and watch the latest after-school special unfold as he learns that Troglodytes aren't all that bad after all?

JaxGaret
2007-11-18, 11:23 PM
What happens now? Even if he's not considered to be "facing his Sworn Enemy in combat," odds are he's going to fight some Troglodytes eventually, and when he does, his Frenzy will run to his maximum length, since he's always within sixty feet of himself. More importantly, he's dedicated his life to the elimination of Troglodytes, a group that now includes himself. Does he demand a new body and commit suicide? Does he just say, "Meh, I don't count"? Can he exclude himself like that (certainly any other Corrupt Avengers out to purge all Troglodytes won't give him any special exemptions)? Do the gods chuckle and watch the latest after-school special unfold as he learns that Troglodytes aren't all that bad after all?

Any or all of the above. It's up to the player and DM to communicate about the issue and make it an enjoyable playing experience for all involved.

If they don't, the CA might as well commit seppuku, roll new character.

One rules note: I would rule that a Trog CA with Trogs as his Sworn Foe does not count himself as a Trog. It's even RAW: Sworn Foe states that you gain the bonus to Str/Con "whenever you face your sworn foe in combat". You're not facing yourself in combat.

TheElfLord
2007-11-18, 11:27 PM
I would say that the character would adopt a kill them all, then myself approach designed to rid the world of the foe.

This approach is used by one of the characters in Throne of Baal and seems to work for the i hate a group that inculded me character.

Jannex
2007-11-18, 11:38 PM
I guess the question is, does the d% roll to determine the reincarnated body's race happen before or after the subject chooses whether or not to return from the dead? Because I would think that if the Corrupt Avenger knew he'd be coming back into a troglodyte body, he'd choose to stay dead.

JaxGaret
2007-11-18, 11:38 PM
I guess the question is, does the d% roll to determine the reincarnated body's race happen before or after the subject chooses whether or not to return from the dead? Because I would think that if the Corrupt Avenger knew he'd be coming back into a troglodyte body, he'd choose to stay dead.

That's a good point. It's quite possible that, if it works that way, they would choose not to return in such a form.

Maerok
2007-11-18, 11:45 PM
Which is stronger: His determination to slay the trogs or his dignity of not becoming one himself. It seems even more dire when it becomes a case of were__s or vampires and he'll have little choice: kill myself or stay alive and kill a lot more of them. It'd be pragmatic to stick around for a while.

Chronos
2007-11-19, 12:01 AM
I guess the question is, does the d% roll to determine the reincarnated body's race happen before or after the subject chooses whether or not to return from the dead?It doesn't matter, because the soul doesn't learn that. All a soul knows is the identity, alignment, and patron god (if any) of the caster bringing it back. In this case, the avenger would learn that it was his druid buddy who was casting the spell. He might deduce that the spell was probably Reincarnate, and that there's therefore a chance that he'll come back as a trog, and he might decide that that 1% chance is too big of a risk, but that's all he has.

KillianHawkeye
2007-11-20, 10:12 AM
I wonder, if a Ranger selects his own race as his Favored Enemy does he get the bonuses against himself?

Although, I'm not sure if the answer to that question helps you at all, since I'm not familiar with the Corrupt Avenger.

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-20, 10:18 AM
I wonder, if a Ranger selects his own race as his Favored Enemy does he get the bonuses against himself?

To do what, exactly?

Ranger: "I am now going to roll my Repressing Self-Hatred check. I get a +2 bonus since I am of my own race." :smallconfused:

Mewtarthio
2007-11-20, 10:51 AM
Well, a Ranger's Favored Enemy is an enemy he's spent a lot of time studying so he knows how best to hunt it. If the Ranger got hit with, say, a death urge, he'd get his own bonus damage because he knows where to stab himself.

VerdugoExplode
2007-11-20, 11:05 AM
A quick question in the vein of the previous discussion. If someone casts Black Karma Curse, where the target essentially damages themselves, would a ranger get the bonus on damage if he had favored enemy: Humanoids?