PDA

View Full Version : How would you build this creepy doctor character?

Rfkannen
2021-11-20, 06:22 PM
I designed this character for a pathfinder 2e campaign, but the gm has floated the idea of running his campaign in 5e instead and I have NO idea how to build him in this system!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FEq9TZvVEAQnLc6?format=jpg&name=small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FEq9TZvUYAQaaZT?format=jpg&name=4096x4096 https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FEq9TZvUUAgtR1V?format=jpg&name=small

His backstory is that he is a creepy doctor from a seclusive elven enclave on a quest to find true immortality. His original plan was to alchemically grow himself a new body and then do surgery on himself to put his soul in it. A big part of his story is that he is preserving the rotting body of the party's semi-undead fighter. Mechanically, in pf2e he is an elf toxicologist alchemist with the medic archetype, but i'm honestly open to whatever for his 5e version, I just want the vibe of a creepy elven doctor on a quest for immortality.

The other party members are an undead tiefling-catfolk big weapon focused fighter (not sure what ancestory or subclass for 5e), a goblin thief rogue, and a gnome scoundrel rogue (pf2e's charisma and deception based subclass, I am thinking prob mastermind for the 5e version).

What's your instinct? how would you build him in 5e?

Skrum
2021-11-20, 06:29 PM
Artificer is my obvious choice. They can specialize in alchemy, battle armor, or ranged blasting. This class has the most overt "mad scientist" vibe.

strangebloke
2021-11-20, 08:24 PM
alchemist is a good choice here.

Alternately I think inquisitive works well here, particularly with the healer and ritual caster feats. (gentle repose is a ritual!) Maybe go for poisoner if you like.

Rfkannen
2021-11-20, 09:08 PM
Artificer is my obvious choice. They can specialize in alchemy, battle armor, or ranged blasting. This class has the most overt "mad scientist" vibe.

It is a good option! I feel kind of silly that I didn't think of it. Just a shame there aren't any fleshwarping or medicine subclasses. All of them are a bit too mechanical for my taste.

alchemist is a good choice here.

Alternately I think inquisitive works well here, particularly with the healer and ritual caster feats. (gentle repose is a ritual!) Maybe go for poisoner if you like.

Alchemist makes a lot of sense considering the original class, but I have not heard great things about that subclass in general.

Having three rogues WOULD be hilarious! Do artificer and rogue multiclass well?

this character is DEFFINITLY getting ritual caster, in pf2e he was built to maximize on occult rituals. Occult is probably best replicated by taking ritual caster bard... but cleric is just overall a better bet.

Kane0
2021-11-20, 09:12 PM
Yeah sounds like an alchemist artificer, fairly straight conversion

Alchemist makes a lot of sense considering the original class, but I have not heard great things about that subclass in general.

Having three rogues WOULD be hilarious! Do artificer and rogue multiclass well?

this character is DEFFINITLY getting ritual caster, in pf2e he was built to maximize on occult rituals. Occult is probably best replicated by taking ritual caster bard... but cleric is just overall a better bet.

Its not that bad, just not the best. Perfectly functional.

Rogue multiclasses well with most things really, unless you must use Str weapons or your bonus action is already very busy.

What level? Perhaps warlock might be a good fit with some reflavoring, they get some good ritual casting from pact of the tome.

Foolwise
2021-11-20, 11:15 PM
His backstory is that he is a creepy doctor from a seclusive elven enclave on a quest to find true immortality. His original plan was to alchemically grow himself a new body and then do surgery on himself to put his soul in it.

This bit has me thinking you'll want a build that gives you access to the Clone spell. So (Necro) Wizard or (Lore) Bard. I think Bard may be a better fit as it has more healing options and getting bardic inspiration from the creepy doctor has great roleplay potential. The Necro Wizard would benefit from an Artificer dip, giving you a little healing and better saving throws by starting with Artificer at Lv 1.

5e backgrounds are completely customizable by RAW and give you proficiency in two skills and two tools/languages/music instruments. The Sage background seems best fitting for the build. It gives you Arcana and History for skills (perhaps swap one for Medicine) and two tools of you choice (pick between Alchemist/Herbalism/Poisoner's kits)

Naanomi
2021-11-20, 11:33 PM
One could look at Reborn or something as a race... can still look like an Elf (heck, fluffwise could still be an elf); but represents the 'changes' they have made alchemically to their own body

Ugmaro
2021-11-21, 12:28 AM
Talk to your DM and ask him to have your specific artificer work with flesh bits instead of mechanical bits. If you rename the feats so they're thematic (mechanically in game doing the same thing) it should work like a charm. Maybe instead of prof. in tinker tools you get it in alchemist tools etc...

Aett_Thorn
2021-11-21, 07:14 AM
As an alternative to Alchemist (which I agree is probably the best fit), but an Undying Warlock might also be a good fit, especially if you dip one level of Divine Soul Sorc to get some healing spells.

Not the most powerful subclass, by far, but has a lot of flavorful spells that would work with this theme.

Mastikator
2021-11-21, 08:29 AM
Artificer battle smith. Your Steel Defender does not have to look like a dog, it can in fact look like your character. You can roleplay that your steel defender is the work in progress for your character's new immortal body that they will- at some future point, transfer their consciousness into.

Artificers are supposed to channel their magic through objects "To observers, you don't appear to be casting spells in a conventional way; you appear to produce wonders from mundane items and outlandish inventions". Spells that you cast can easily be described as potions that you throw or drink.

If your artificer is using a bow I'd recommend Repeating Shot, especially if your DM forces you to keep track of arrows. Spellwrought tattoo can also be roleplayed as one-off magical body-modifications.

Rfkannen
2021-11-21, 12:49 PM
Artificer battle smith. Your Steel Defender does not have to look like a dog, it can in fact look like your character. You can roleplay that your steel defender is the work in progress for your character's new immortal body that they will- at some future point, transfer their consciousness into.

Artificers are supposed to channel their magic through objects "To observers, you don't appear to be casting spells in a conventional way; you appear to produce wonders from mundane items and outlandish inventions". Spells that you cast can easily be described as potions that you throw or drink.

If your artificer is using a bow I'd recommend Repeating Shot, especially if your DM forces you to keep track of arrows. Spellwrought tattoo can also be roleplayed as one-off magical body-modifications.

I REALY like that idea with the steel defender! that would be a LOT of fun! The character was actually mostly supposed to use a rapier, I just drew the short bow shot because he has one as a backup. The tattoo idea is SO COOL!

Talk to your DM and ask him to have your specific artificer work with flesh bits instead of mechanical bits. If you rename the feats so they're thematic (mechanically in game doing the same thing) it should work like a charm. Maybe instead of prof. in tinker tools you get it in alchemist tools etc...

great idea!! will def do that if we wind up in 5e!

This bit has me thinking you'll want a build that gives you access to the Clone spell. So (Necro) Wizard or (Lore) Bard. I think Bard may be a better fit as it has more healing options and getting bardic inspiration from the creepy doctor has great roleplay potential. The Necro Wizard would benefit from an Artificer dip, giving you a little healing and better saving throws by starting with Artificer at Lv 1.

5e backgrounds are completely customizable by RAW and give you proficiency in two skills and two tools/languages/music instruments. The Sage background seems best fitting for the build. It gives you Arcana and History for skills (perhaps swap one for Medicine) and two tools of you choice (pick between Alchemist/Herbalism/Poisoner's kits)

Clone being a spell in 5e rather than a thing with anyone with high enough crafting can do like it in is pf2e is a major pain. I THIIIIINK this gm would be up for figuring out a way for my character to do it without having on my spell list, but actually having the clone spell would probably be easier! I could see a wizard artificer multiclass being a lot of fun. It was originally a big part of his character that he didn't have the ability to cast any spell, but I think In 5e I would def just get rid of that, a lot of the stuff you can do in pf2e as a mundane character needs spellcasting in 5e.

Sage is a great pick! he is part of a secret society of scholars searching for immortality, so he def has a contact network!

Yeah sounds like an alchemist artificer, fairly straight conversion

Its not that bad, just not the best. Perfectly functional.

Rogue multiclasses well with most things really, unless you must use Str weapons or your bonus action is already very busy.

What level? Perhaps warlock might be a good fit with some reflavoring, they get some good ritual casting from pact of the tome.

Rad! I could see an alcheimst arcane trickster multiclass who gets int bonus to green flame blade being a lot of fun. (flavoring green flame blade as covering his rapier in alchemist fire)

One could look at Reborn or something as a race... can still look like an Elf (heck, fluffwise could still be an elf); but represents the 'changes' they have made alchemically to their own body
Cool idea! I think I would want to start as an elf, but I love the idea of swiching to reborn as the campaign goes on!

Phhase
2021-11-22, 10:52 AM
I think Artificer for expertise in alchemist's tools and then straight wizard so you can get Clone, as it sounds like he's researching.

Necrosnoop110
2021-11-23, 11:45 AM
Maybe not exactly what you had in mind but I think you could at least mine some ideas from it: Build 10: The Jorasco Physician (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24670442&postcount=496)