PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculously Cool Magic Items

SadisticFishing
2007-11-19, 12:58 AM
I just found two:

Ring of the Darkhidden (MIC), which makes you invisible to Darkvision.

Ring of the White (Frostburn), which lets you turn into a half-dragon for an hour a day.

You guys have any awesome gems you want to point out?

Xefas
2007-11-19, 01:03 AM
Not an official item, but I found Gloves/Gauntlets of Continuous Produce Flame to be pretty cool, if not incredibly useful. By the magic item creation guidelines, its only 4,000gp, and allows you a constant touch attack that deals 1d6+1 fire damage, AND you can, at will, chuck fireballs from your hands that deal the same amount of damage up to 120 ft away as a ranged touch.

Obviously, at all levels, its easy to do more damage than that, but its still awesome to have permanent fire powers for such a low sum.

Dausuul
2007-11-19, 01:43 AM
I just found two:

Ring of the White (Frostburn), which lets you turn into a half-dragon for an hour a day.

The belt of battle from the MIC. 12,000 gp to get an extra full-round action once a day. At higher levels, that's a steal; in fact, my gaming group has instituted a universal ban on the belt of battle because it's just too damn good... particularly if you can afford to buy three or four and swap them out after each encounter.

OneWinged4ngel
2007-11-19, 01:58 AM
The belt of battle from the MIC. 12,000 gp to get an extra full-round action once a day. At higher levels, that's a steal; in fact, my gaming group has instituted a universal ban on the belt of battle because it's just too damn good... particularly if you can afford to buy three or four and swap them out after each encounter.

Belt of Battle isn't cool. It's ridiculous. In fact, there are similar items in the same book which are both more expensive and DO LESS.

Crazy overpowered isn't cool, it's bad design.

TheOOB
2007-11-19, 02:01 AM
You could just institute the general rule that items that take a equiptment slot that have limited powers per day (like the belt of battle), require 24 hours to attune to that eq slot to use their powers, and that putting another magic item in that slot requires you to attune to the item again.

OneWinged4ngel
2007-11-19, 02:02 AM
You could just institute the general rule that items that take a equiptment slot that have limited powers per day (like the belt of battle), require 24 hours to attune to that eq slot to use their powers, and that putting another magic item in that slot requires you to attune to the item again.

And even with that common houserule, it's STILL overpowered. All items of similar function are both considerably more limited and more expensive, even within the same book. It overshadows pretty much every other limited use item, too. If you have to ask "Who wouldn't take it?" then you know it's not only unbalanced, but just way too danged good. Really, this happens for a lot of the extra "greater" actions for "lesser" actions abilities. Be it White Raven Tactics, Celerity, 3.0 Haste, or Belt of Battle, they're all problematic for the game. Quite simply, standard actions are better than every other swift action or immediate action ability, and as a result such abilities eliminate the usefulness of everything else that takes that sort of action type. Essentially, they eliminate much of the point that WotC claimed to have added swift and immediate actions for.

TheOOB
2007-11-19, 02:08 AM
I agree, considering that in core, the only way to gain more actions per round is a 9th level spell, and even that disallows you to take direct ally offensive actions, we probably can agree anything that grants extra actions without a significant drawback is overpowered.

OneWinged4ngel
2007-11-19, 02:10 AM
I agree, considering that in core, the only way to gain more actions per round is a 9th level spell
That's totally untrue. Quicken Spell, either the feat or the metamagic rod, will grant you more actions. Haste will grant you another attack action *to a whole party*. Just to name a couple. Of course, these things either have high costs, or provide a limited type of extra action. Even Time Stop provides a limited type of extra action AND has a high cost.

The_Snark
2007-11-19, 02:21 AM
Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis. For something like 22,000, gain the Dark template continuously. It's one of the templates that can actually be worth its small LA for the right kind of character (i.e. a sneaky one). Now you can get it without even paying that.

Of course, I'm not sure I actually like that you can do that.

Fishy
2007-11-19, 02:24 AM
That's totally untrue. Quicken Spell, either the feat or the metamagic rod, will grant you more actions. Haste will grant you another attack action *to a whole party*. Just to name a couple. Of course, these things either have high costs, or provide a limited type of extra action. Even Time Stop provides a limited type of extra action AND has a high cost.

Technically, Quick Draw lets you do more things in a round, and first level fighters can take it. </unhelpful>

Kantolin
2007-11-19, 02:25 AM
I've always been exceptionally fond of the core Ring of Substinance and Boots of the Winterlands.

And in both cases, it's for the secondary effect - the 'Does not have to sleep' over the eat or drink, and the 'endure elements' half of the boots.

I tend to aim for both, and roleplay it as simply a tough character - for example, I used them to represent a half-orc who simply didn't have to sleep much, eat much, and doesn't seem to mind the cold despite wearing simply his trademark pair of shorts.

I hardly use these for more than just flavor, but they're exceptionally fun.

Another fun-looking magic item is the mirror of life trapping, which is something I've always wanted to play around with. Of course, given its seismic price tag of 200,000gp, I've never even considered seeing one in a game before. Pity, especially as it sure doesn't seem worth that price tag, but whachagonnado?

Hawriel
2007-11-19, 02:49 AM
I like the goggles of night because I love to wear them at night and my future is bright.

For a nod to Buggs the portable hole. good times.

Armads
2007-11-19, 03:33 AM
The Boots of the Unending Journey (MIC) are good, so is the Crystal Echoblade (MIC).

Boots of the Unending Journey are a cheaper pair of Boots of Striding and Springing, as well as immunity to fatigue and exhaustion if you are a worshipper of a certain deity (can't remember who) and have true believer (or sacrifice a spell slot, since it's a relic item).

Crystal Echoblade lets bards add half bard level as bonus sonic damage to that weapon.

Roderick_BR
2007-11-19, 07:10 AM
Enchantment for armors: Soulflame. Immunity to death attack magic, energy drain, and any negative energy type of damage. It's costly (+4 enhancement cost), but useful.
Trick to make an impervious character: Gnome cloth twist (Races of Stone), Armor bonus +1, no max dex, skill penalty 0, spell failure 0%, speed 30ft/20ft. Make it +1/soulflame/heavy fortification, for a total of +10. Then give it to a swordsage (at least 2 levels), and give him bracers of armor to make up for the low AC.
You need Exotic Armor Proficiency (Gnome cloth twist) only for the special ability (Add it's AC bonus to touch AC), but don't need it to use as a normal armor (skill check penalty 0).
Note: The Magic Itens Compendium have a weaker version (+1, works 3 times/day), so it's not so powerful, nor so costly.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-19, 07:18 AM
Three items have always had a big pull on me:

Number one, crystal and deep crystal blades. A blade that flashes rainbows every time you battle, draw it, or do something, because light bounces off? Yes please!

Scrolls of immortality. Homebrew item. Having eternity for adventuring? Yes please!

Any kind of wings that can be attached via some spell. Getting the biggest benefit of the Winged template, the overland flight and all the others? Yes please!

Roderick_BR
2007-11-19, 08:20 AM
Oh, another one I forgot: I don't remember where it's from (probably BoED, since itens there are overpowered, or DM2, I'll have to check), and I don't remember the name also, something like Ring of Mental Fortitude. Immunity to mind affecting (compulsion) effects. Never fear Dominate and Power Word: Kill again.

AKA_Bait
2007-11-19, 08:38 AM
Frankly, after all this time, I still have to give it up to Heward for his Handy Haversack. It's awesome in a game facilitating rather than breaking way. I mean, who doesn't buy one of these. It's so... handy.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-19, 08:42 AM
Seconded, Heward makes great items, jus' see his bedroll. They all are beaten, however, by Heward's Humongous Storage center. It's a Bag of Holding IV * 10. It's worth every single CP of it's 40k GP.

AKA_Bait
2007-11-19, 08:49 AM
Seconded, Heward makes great items, jus' see his bedroll. They all are beaten, however, by Heward's Humongous Storage center. It's a Bag of Holding IV * 10. It's worth every single CP of it's 40k GP.

Did you just invent that or is it from someplace?

read: I want one.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-19, 08:53 AM
Found it on a site which collected all of Heward's marvels. It's been a staple of every character with enough money I've made. I mean, it's a freakin' storage center from which you can get ANYTHING with a thought. How useful can that be?

Curmudgeon
2007-11-19, 09:10 AM
Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis. For something like 22,000, gain the Dark template continuously. You're misremembering this. The Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis is from Tome of Magic, costs 10,800 gp, and gives you the Dark Creature template for 10 minutes a day.

Ganurath
2007-11-19, 09:36 AM
The Panic Buttons of CoSc. Most aren't much, but the escaping button is a must for anyone expecting to have to deal with forcecage or the like in the near future.

It's not a specific item in its own right, but I've always been fond of the explosive enchantment on a reach eapon like the longspear.

Finally, I feel it needs to be said: Gauntlets of the Blood Lord from CoDi. Combine these babies with either Reach Spell or a Hierophant's divine reach and Zen Archery, and your evil cleric can spontaneously click the delete button.

daggaz
2007-11-19, 09:39 AM

That's a real good reason to say that the magic only works on you once per day.. for whatever reason. Go rule zero!

Mr. Moogle
2007-11-19, 09:51 AM
For 1800 you can get a ring of Magic Missle and for 16,200 you can get the 9th level version (5d4+5 when cast by a 9th level wizard)

Tyger
2007-11-19, 10:03 AM
Yeah, nothing says style, posh elegance and power like... Magic Missile?

*grins*

Personally, the Belt of Healing from MIC seems just wrong. For the price of a Potion of Cure Serious Wounds, I get a belt that casts Cure Moderate wounds three times a day, every day, for the rest of my life? This is balanced how?

Keld Denar
2007-11-19, 10:17 AM

*grins*

Personally, the Belt of Healing from MIC seems just wrong. For the price of a Potion of Cure Serious Wounds, I get a belt that casts Cure Moderate wounds three times a day, every day, for the rest of my life? This is balanced how?

It was priced under the belief that actions are worth more than gold. If you blow all 3 charges at once, you get smaller benefit. If you space them out over 3 rounds (you can in an out of combat situation) it is worth more healing, since you are spending more actions to get more healing.

That said, its still INSANELY UNDERPRICED. Buy 10 and never worry about healing between encounters again.

EDIT: To add something meaningful to this list, I'm gonna have to put my vote in for Boots of Speed. They are an absolute must have for any high level character. High level wizards aren't gonna waste an action to Haste you as a high level melee. They probably arn't even gonna waste the swift action to Quickened Haste you. Haste is one of the BEST buffs for a melee at high levels, because that extra attack is worth 50-70 points of damage, at least. The boots give you Haste for up to 10 rounds of combat, on a round by round expenditure. Averaging 3 rounds per combat (high level combats don't usually last longer than that, and if they do, you tend not to have many of them in a row) the boots get you through 3 encounters per day. The cost of all this is 12000 gold. This should be the STAPLE of any high level fighter type, even more critical if you have pounce from some source (since you can take advantage of the extra movement AND the extra attack).

Dausuul
2007-11-19, 10:18 AM

*grins*

Because potions of cure serious wounds are way overpriced? Seriously, I can't remember the last time I actually bought one. There are a few circumstances under which chugging a CSW is a good use of a character's standard action, but not nearly enough to justify the 750 gp price tag. And if you're using it outside of combat, you'd be insane to drink a CSW when you could get five times as much healing with potions of cure light, or sixteen times as much healing with a wand.

The belt, on the other hand, provides a great way to help the party escape the tyranny of clerical healing. While a wand of cure light wounds is the usual solution, the belt has the advantage of being usable by absolutely anyone, even in a party that has no one with cure light on his/her spell list and no one with UMD.

Tyger
2007-11-19, 10:31 AM
Well, one can certainly argue the overpricedness of Potions, but that still doesn't answer the point that this belt if better than any other source of healing, aside from the aforementioned tyranical cleric, as it is effectively infinite.

Sure, I can buy a Wand of Lesser Vigour for 750 GP. That will heal 550 total hitpoints of damage over its life.

Or a wand of CLW, also 750 GP, again healing ~ 275 hit points over its life.

A Potion of Cure Serious, also 750 GP, heals ~ 18.5 hit points over its life.

The Belt of Healing on the other hand heals... ummm... infinite damage over its life.

Now, which one sticks out? Sure, the potion seems like a waste, but the belt is so good that no one would ever pass it up. And if its that good, what does that tell us about it? Arguments that the rest are all overpriced are interesting, but at the end of the day they are the standard by which all others should be judged.

Craig1f
2007-11-19, 10:40 AM
I just found two:

I was going to buy the Ring of the Darkhidden for my Half-Orc Barbarian. It's effectively a Greater Invisibility ring, since the campaign is a war against Orcs that have been dominated by a mind-effecting ritual that have enraged them all. They rely on their darkvision, so does my barbarian. Except my DM had already noticed that ring in the MIC, and tells me that "it'll be hard to find" and will be "12,000gp minimum."

After I get Horizon Walker Level 2, and have Darkvision to 120ft, I'ma get one.

Frankly, after all this time, I still have to give it up to Heward for his Handy Haversack. It's awesome in a game facilitating rather than breaking way. I mean, who doesn't buy one of these. It's so... handy.

The Haversack basically eliminates the whole point of having a high STR score if you're not a fighter-type. My 21 STR Barbarian is pissed that some 10 STR Wizard can carry as much as he can. (Although, he'll be 24 STR in two levels, thank you half-orc paragon class.)

*grins*

The belt slot is pretty much the "OMG, I have so much good s*** to choose from, what should I put here" slot.

Belt of Battle (My Eldritch Disciple Loves this one)
Monk's Belt
Belt of Strength
Belt of Health (If your amulet slot is already taken up)
Belt of Healing
Belt of Magnificence

Keld Denar
2007-11-19, 10:42 AM
Well, one can certainly argue the overpricedness of Potions, but that still doesn't answer the point that this belt if better than any other source of healing, aside from the aforementioned tyranical cleric, as it is effectively infinite.

Sure, I can buy a Wand of Lesser Vigour for 750 GP. That will heal 550 total hitpoints of damage over its life.

The Belt of Healing on the other hand heals... ummm... infinite damage over its life.

Now, which one sticks out? Sure, the potion seems like a waste, but the belt is so good that no one would ever pass it up. And if its that good, what does that tell us about it? Arguments that the rest are all overpriced are interesting, but at the end of the day they are the standard by which all others should be judged.

Prior to MIC, actions and accessability were paid for at a premium. The advantage of a potion is that ANYONE can use it, regardless of spell list, regardless of class features. That's why potions are twice as expensive as scrolls. Also, a potion of cure serious heals more than 3 times as much as 3 uses of a wand of cure light wounds, and probably about as much as 2 uses of a wand of lessor vigor. In combat, however, when actions are the most precious resource you have, you sometimes need burst healing and you only want to spend 1 action to get it. That was the true strength of the potion.

Unfortunately, MIC threw most of these rules right out when they priced most of their items. Oh well, we don't have very long to live with it. 4e will be out soon and we'll have a whole new wealth of broken magic items to talk about. :)

Seerow
2007-11-19, 10:51 AM

Infinite stuff is waaay overrated. People get this kneejerk reaction of "OMG UNLIMITED USE DO NOT WANT". The 3/day drawback is huge, and it also takes up your belt slot. That means it would take at least 20 days of adventuring before it was used as much as a wand of vigor, and at least 30 before it healed more than the wand. And the Wand of Vigor has the advantage of being able to use more than 3 charges at once to heal you entirely, being slotless, and being able to be used on the whole party.

Honestly, I'd take the wand over the belt any day. You can argue cost effectiveness, I'm arguing practical effectiveness. 30 days of adventuring is a LONG time. In that time you will have likely leveled up at least 2-3 times (assuming each adventuring day has 4 appropriately leveled encounters, we're looking at 120 appropriately leveled encounters... you're supposed to level within what, something like 15 encounters? So that's more like 6 level ups in that time frame)

Basically, before the cost effectiveness of the belt kicks in, you're creeping up on high end play, where the 750 gold for an extra wand is pennies to you, and that 56 HP per day from the belt is seeming pretty insignificant when every other hit you take is for 20-30 or more damage.

Partysan
2007-11-19, 10:58 AM
You're misremembering this. The Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis is from Tome of Magic, costs 10,800 gp, and gives you the Dark Creature template for 10 minutes a day.

it does have a continous variant for 22000 just below.

Attilargh
2007-11-19, 11:25 AM
Oh man, Urban Arcana is full of these. Duct Tape of Repair. Bulletproof Shirt. Bladegun. Thunderclap Taser. Air Duct Infiltration Suit. Magic Billiard-Ball. Stamp of Delivery. Trench Coat of Useful Items. Umbrella of Feather Falling.

But nothing, nothing beats the Chain Saw of the Psycho. :smallamused:

Frosty
2007-11-19, 11:36 AM
According to the guidelines, a command item of Infinite charges of CLW caster level 1 is only 1800. This thing *will* pay for itself eventually, AND does not have the pesky 3/day thing.

Seerow
2007-11-19, 11:51 AM
According to the guidelines, a command item of Infinite charges of CLW caster level 1 is only 1800. This thing *will* pay for itself eventually, AND does not have the pesky 3/day thing.

Yep. But that's not an official item nor what we're talking about, is it?

That said, I still wouldn't be generally opposed to such an item, but Ive had the debate too many times before to really want to start it back up here.Suffice it to say I think that healing back to almost full between encounters will become the norm in 4th edition, which in itself will show that such an item in 3rd edition isn't horrendously imbalanced so long as the DM has appropriate encounters for the party.

Chronos
2007-11-19, 11:54 AM
According to the guidelines, a command item of Infinite charges of CLW caster level 1 is only 1800.The same guidelines would put a widget of infinite Cure Minor Wounds at half that. Of course, this is the point where we remind everyone that those are just guidelines, and that DMs are also encouraged to compare to items with similar functionality to set prices.

Myself, I'm going to have to go with Hand of the Mage. Really useful spell, castable at will, from a really cheap item? Yes please. The only thing better would be an item of Prestidigitation at will (does that exist somewhere?).

Or at least, that's a really useful magic item. If we're going instead for really cool ones, as the OP says, then I'll have to say the Apparatus of Kwalish. By the time you'd ever be able to get one, it's completely obsolete, but still, you can't tell me that a giant mechanical crab isn't cool.

The_Werebear
2007-11-19, 12:04 PM
Well... This mainly applies if your DM is a jerkwad about alignment required classes and keeps trying to make your characters useless. If your DM keeps putting your paladin in seemingly no win situations, break out the Phylactery Of Faithfulness. Simply contemplate both actions. The one that the DM wants you to take will show up as less threatening. And if both actions show up as causing a fall, you can punch your DM in the face for being an ass.

AKA_Bait
2007-11-19, 12:07 PM
Well... This mainly applies if your DM is a jerkwad about alignment required classes and keeps trying to make your characters useless. If your DM keeps putting your paladin in seemingly no win situations, break out the Phylactery Of Faithfulness. Simply contemplate both actions. The one that the DM wants you to take will show up as less threatening. And if both actions show up as causing a fall, you can punch your DM in the face for being an ass.

Oh yes. This is a Paladins best friend. No one with a code they can break should ever leave home without one.

Techonce
2007-11-19, 12:27 PM
Hair shirt of suffering. +1 Natural Armor and you can heal companions, but not yourself. 1 CSW for 3d8+9 per day. 3400 gp.

in comparison an Amulet of Nat Armor+1 is 200gp.

MagFlare
2007-11-19, 01:02 PM
My current character wears a Cloak of the War Wizard. It's essentially Batman's utility belt - it's got continuous endure elements and feather fall, and can cast dimension door, mage armor, protection from arrows, and sending once per day each. Dirt cheap, too; I think it cost me 10,000 gp. There's nothing gamebreaking in there, but it's always possible to find a use for the thing.

Redpieper
2007-11-19, 01:09 PM
Ring of Blinking, a rogue's best friend. :smallwink:

Dausuul
2007-11-19, 01:20 PM
Infinite stuff is waaay overrated. People get this kneejerk reaction of "OMG UNLIMITED USE DO NOT WANT". The 3/day drawback is huge, and it also takes up your belt slot. That means it would take at least 20 days of adventuring before it was used as much as a wand of vigor, and at least 30 before it healed more than the wand. And the Wand of Vigor has the advantage of being able to use more than 3 charges at once to heal you entirely, being slotless, and being able to be used on the whole party.

Honestly, I'd take the wand over the belt any day. You can argue cost effectiveness, I'm arguing practical effectiveness. 30 days of adventuring is a LONG time. In that time you will have likely leveled up at least 2-3 times (assuming each adventuring day has 4 appropriately leveled encounters, we're looking at 120 appropriately leveled encounters... you're supposed to level within what, something like 15 encounters? So that's more like 6 level ups in that time frame)

Basically, before the cost effectiveness of the belt kicks in, you're creeping up on high end play, where the 750 gold for an extra wand is pennies to you, and that 56 HP per day from the belt is seeming pretty insignificant when every other hit you take is for 20-30 or more damage.

QFT. If you think the belt is overpowered, then buy yourself one and try relying on it as your party's sole source of healing magic. Unless you're playing at a very low level, you'll quickly find it inadequate and start wishing for a wand of cure light wounds, or lesser vigor if you have that option. 24 points of healing (average result) is just not enough to keep a mid-level tank on his feet over the course of a tough adventuring day, to say nothing of what happens if the party gets caught in an AoE attack.

Ultimately, I find it's a pretty good balance. The belt offers a nice source of "free healing" so the party doesn't have to burn consumables after every skirmish, but you still turn to the old heal-stick when things get rough.

Prior to MIC, actions and accessability were paid for at a premium. The advantage of a potion is that ANYONE can use it, regardless of spell list, regardless of class features. That's why potions are twice as expensive as scrolls. Also, a potion of cure serious heals more than 3 times as much as 3 uses of a wand of cure light wounds, and probably about as much as 2 uses of a wand of lessor vigor. In combat, however, when actions are the most precious resource you have, you sometimes need burst healing and you only want to spend 1 action to get it. That was the true strength of the potion.

Unfortunately, MIC threw most of these rules right out when they priced most of their items. Oh well, we don't have very long to live with it. 4e will be out soon and we'll have a whole new wealth of broken magic items to talk about. :)

MIC threw those rules out because they discovered they were bad rules. Hardly any 3rd-level potions are worth the cost. The premium for "anybody can use this" is just too high; 90% of the time you might just as well buy a scroll and give it to the appropriate caster. The remaining 10% is not enough to justify doubling the price. Add in the fact that it provokes AoOs to drink a potion, and the tank is almost always in somebody's threatened square... yeah.

Person_Man
2007-11-19, 02:06 PM
As a DM, I despise anything that gives an "action advantage" like Celerity, White Raven Tactics, Belt of Battle, etc. It makes running a fun and balanced encounter much more difficult.

But I've found that the easiest way to stop abuse is to simply threaten them with enemies that use the same abilities/items that they do.

PlatinumJester
2007-11-19, 02:54 PM
Mithral Twilight Chain Shirt - not magical but still uber cool.

Blessed Bandages (MiC) - easy life saver.

Gloves of the Master Strategist (GhostWalk) - Basically Gloves of Storing but grant True Strike 1/day. Best thing is Gloves of Storing cost 10,000gp and these cost 3600gp and grant better abilities. I ain't complaining.

Sundark Goggles (races of dragon, 10g) - immunity to light blindness and +2 vs gaze attacks but you take -1 to spot.

Targath Shruiken - +2 vs disease but the weapon takes -1 to attack and damage. It costs 4gp but as long as it remains on you it grants the +2 bonus.

Ring of Sustenance (DMG, 2,500 gp) - immunity to eating and drinking and only need 2 hours of sleep a day.

Boccobs Blessed book: (12,500 gp) Costs 12,500 gp. Contains 1,000 pages. Does not require the user to spend the usual 25gp per page materials costs. You pay 12,500gp for 25,000gp worth of spellbook.

Ioun Stone, Gray (DMG, 25 gp) With continual flame, becomes a hands-free perpetual light source

Decanter of Endless Water (9,000 gp) The Decanter has a thousand uses beyond just providing drinking water.

Heward's Fortifying Bedroll (Complete Mage, 3,000 gp) Allows casters to regain spells with only one hour of sleep, rather than the usual 8.

Quaal’s feather token – tree (400gp)

Tooth of Savnok (Tome of Magic, 2000 gp) Move at your normal speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Scabbard of Keen Edges (DMG, 16000 gp)

Amulet of Extra Amulet Slot - (MiC, 2000gp) takes up an amulet slot but gives you an extra amulet slot in return.

TK-Squared
2007-11-19, 02:58 PM
Belt of Magnificence +6 costs 16,000 less than 6 +6 items and only costs one equipment slot. Seems better at higher levels than buying a multitude of items.

Roderick_BR
2007-11-19, 03:02 PM
The belt slot is pretty much the "OMG, I have so much good s*** to choose from, what should I put here" slot.
Now we need a "waist of glory", an amulet that allows you to hang a belt in your neck slot :smallbiggrin:

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-19, 03:11 PM
Another one: The Hand in the DMG that allows you to get an extra ring. Extra unlimited uses item? Yes please!

Dausuul
2007-11-19, 03:29 PM
Belt of Magnificence +6 costs 16,000 less than 6 +6 items and only costs one equipment slot. Seems better at higher levels than buying a multitude of items.

If you want +6 to every stat, I suppose... most folks get by with bonuses to just two or three stats. A wizard has little use for +6 Charisma and less use for +6 Strength.

MobiusKlein
2007-11-19, 03:49 PM
If you want +6 to every stat, I suppose... most folks get by with bonuses to just two or three stats. A wizard has little use for +6 Charisma and less use for +6 Strength.

Perhaps not the wiz, but anybody else surely could.

My Rogue surely could - and would keep the glove slot open for other cool things. Con - check. Dex - check. Str - check. Wis, Int, Cha not so much, until skill checks start popping up. But when you dump 200K on one slot, you're already a rich, rich PC.

(And the Wiz will like the str when the encumbrance rules get enforced on the Elemental Plane of Gravity:smalleek: )

Dausuul
2007-11-19, 04:09 PM
But when you dump 200K on one slot, you're already a rich, rich PC.

That's kind of the point. I've statted out 20th-level PCs, and even at that level I wouldn't waste the money on a belt of magnificence. There are so many better things I could do with that 200K.

Now, if one got handed out in loot, that'd be another matter. The sale price is only 100K, which means you only get enough money for three +6 items (less 8K) by selling it. Since pretty much any character can usefully apply +6 to three stats, it's worth keeping... if you don't already have some stat-boosting items.

Hunter Noventa
2007-11-19, 04:17 PM
Sandals of the Light Step, part of one of the sets in the MIC, +10ft to speed AND water walking for an hour a day, for only a little more than boots of striding and springing. Quite useful for those in heavy armor who don't need the springing part so much and might have to worry about drowning.

Chronos
2007-11-19, 04:19 PM
Amulet of Extra Amulet Slot - (MiC, 2000gp) takes up an amulet slot but gives you an extra amulet slot in return.Whoa, this actually exists? I thought that was just a joke!

In case anyone's wondering, it's not actually useless. The trick is, if you're allowed to make an Amulet of Extra Amulet Slot, then you're allowed to add the Extra Amulet Slot property to an amulet that already has some other use. So if you want to use two really expensive amulets (say, an Amulet of Mighty Fists +5 and a Periapt of Wisdom +6), you can save a lot of money by having two separate amulets, one with the Extra Amulet Slot property, as compared to stacking the two "real" properties on the same amulet.

PlatinumJester
2007-11-19, 04:23 PM
Whoa, this actually exists? I thought that was just a joke!

In case anyone's wondering, it's not actually useless. The trick is, if you're allowed to make an Amulet of Extra Amulet Slot, then you're allowed to add the Extra Amulet Slot property to an amulet that already has some other use. So if you want to use two really expensive amulets (say, an Amulet of Mighty Fists +5 and a Periapt of Wisdom +6), you can save a lot of money by having two separate amulets, one with the Extra Amulet Slot property, as compared to stacking the two "real" properties on the same amulet.

No you were right the first time. It is a joke.

Hzurr
2007-11-19, 04:25 PM

But then again, some people play Monks...

Tyger
2007-11-19, 06:00 PM
<snipped all the accurate stuff>
Agreed Boccobs Blessed book: (12,500 gp) Costs 12,500 gp. Contains 1,000 pages. Does not require the user to spend the usual 25gp per page materials costs. You pay 12,500gp for 25,000gp worth of spellbook.

Except its 100 GP per page, so if you fill all 1,000 pages, that would have cost you 100,000 GP. The Blessed Book thus saves you 87,500 GP.

Other than that, all great choices. Handy Haversack and a Twilight Mithril Chain Shirt + Mithril buckler are all on my list at the next downtime.