PDA

View Full Version : Looking for character / Build ideas for a feywild game

Nosta
2021-11-23, 04:43 PM
Just as the title says I'm looking for some fun and strong character ideas for a feywild game as I know next to nothing about that setting

Level unsure but assume between 3 and 9

Wraith
2021-11-23, 07:08 PM
Anything else you can give us? As in, do you favour a particular role, or would you specifically like to play a martial class, or caster class, or an interesting multiclass? There's lots of good stuff, narrowing it down would help :smallsmile:

The Feywild isn't too difficult to understand. It's very Shakespearean, full of whimsical creatures like faeries, elves, satrys, centaurs and the likes who also just happen to be as violent and dangerous as their material plane counterparts. There's just more of them. :smalltongue:

Typical/common races include Eladrin (season-based Elves), Centaurs, Satyrs, Harengon (rabbit people), Faeries, various types of goblinoinds, and a few things like redcaps which are kind of like psychotic gnomes. Think A Midsummer Night's Dream or even Alice in Wonderland and you're not far off - anything catch your fancy for us to work with?

Obligatory link to the Fun & Ecclectic Chaacters thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?583957-An-Eclectic-Collection-of-Fun-and-Effective-Builds/page44) - Quite a lot of the PCs designed therein are already suitable for the Feywild, but can be switched to Feywild races, or otherwise reflavoured to suit your needs, depending on what you want to do. Elves and Druids/Rangers, especially.

Ryton
2021-11-23, 07:38 PM
Ancients Paladin is suitably thematic, the flavor text even refers to them as fey knights. As mentioned, something like an Eladrin could be fitting, but so could a centaur, or a minotaur, or a satyr... There's a lot you can do for a fey theme.

Nosta
2021-11-23, 07:42 PM
Anything else you can give us? As in, do you favour a particular role, or would you specifically like to play a martial class, or caster class, or an interesting multiclass? There's lots of good stuff, narrowing it down would help :smallsmile:

The Feywild isn't too difficult to understand. It's very Shakespearean, full of whimsical creatures like faeries, elves, satrys, centaurs and the likes who also just happen to be as violent and dangerous as their material plane counterparts. There's just more of them. :smalltongue:

Typical/common races include Eladrin (season-based Elves), Centaurs, Satyrs, Harengon (rabbit people), Faeries, various types of goblinoinds, and a few things like redcaps which are kind of like psychotic gnomes. Think A Midsummer Night's Dream or even Alice in Wonderland and you're not far off - anything catch your fancy for us to work with?

Obligatory link to the Fun & Ecclectic Chaacters thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?583957-An-Eclectic-Collection-of-Fun-and-Effective-Builds/page44) - Quite a lot of the PCs designed therein are already suitable for the Feywild, but can be switched to Feywild races, or otherwise reflavoured to suit your needs, depending on what you want to do. Elves and Druids/Rangers, especially.

Truth be told I'm not to fond of 5e and am only playing in this game cause my friend and his wife are big fans of it

I come from 3.5 then pf 1e so in my eyes there's a lot less meat on its bone.

But I will play in it

I can do most things
I just want something that fits the flavor but it's actually a strong build

Naanomi
2021-11-24, 12:12 AM
There isn't a ton of power difference between builds (there is some, but no where near the 'this character is literally worthless -> let me get the damage spreadsheet -> I am the most powerful being in the cosmos 6 rounds after character creation' range of 3.5); so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Thematically, classes that tie in easily to Feywild stuff include wild magic barbarian, archfey patron warlocks, glamour bards, Shepard and dream druids, ancients paladins, and several rangers (horizon Walker, monster Slayer, Fey wanderer, swarm master...)

Rukelnikov
2021-11-24, 12:36 AM
Truth be told I'm not to fond of 5e and am only playing in this game cause my friend and his wife are big fans of it

I come from 3.5 then pf 1e so in my eyes there's a lot less meat on its bone.

But I will play in it

I can do most things

I switched from 3.x to 5e after about 15 years, and yes, it will give you that impression at first, but if you give it a chance, you'll start to notice that 5e has a lot of good things to offer too.

When I'm gonna play a setting I know nothing of, I usually try to go for something that is not local, so I learn about it along with my PC, I think it makes for a more involved narrative than having the DM tell you as a player about all the stuff you character knows that you don't.

Mercurias
2021-11-25, 02:56 AM

If all books are on the table, in the absence of knowing your existing group's composition, I'll throw out some ideas:

-Satyr Eloquence Bard: Light on attacking, but a strong support character and has awesome checks for Persuasion/Deception. Single classing it is perfectly fine, but a two level dip in Hexblade Warlock would give you more one-handed weapon proficiencies, shield proficiency, make you SAD, and give you access to Eldritch Blast.

-Air Genasi Way of Mercy Monk: You'll want to pump WIS, and it's a touch MAD, but this is a solid composition for a Monk that has additional healing support. As a bonus, the Air Genasi racial skill lets you use levitation, which basically means you get to live out your wire fighting special effects dreams.

-Goblin Artificer 1/Scribes Wizard x: You'll want to focus on Int and Dex, and find a way to give yourself Stealth Proficiency, but you'll be a versatile, armored Wizard with access to a healing spell and the ability to attempt to hide on a bonus action, which allows for a lot of shenanigans in conjunction with Thorn Whip and hazards placed on the field by the party.

-Variant Human Life Cleric (Bonus Feat: Fey-Touched for +1 WIS and Dissonant Whispers spell): Life Clerics boast a beefy AC, and their large boosts to healing help conserve your spell slots for non-healing uses. The spell list is also quite good and gives you more space to broaden your options.

-High Elf Arcane Trickster: Silver at all, gold at none. You'll have access to all the traditional rogue tricks and skill proficiencies, plus added spells from the wizard list that crank your versatility sky-high. Being able to use Sneak Attack on Booming Blade before disengaging as a bonus action and then having your familiar give you advantage on your next attack is pretty amazing. High Elf adds an added cantrip, plus bonus weapon proficiencies so you can snipe with a longbow.

-Amethyst Dragonborn Totem Barbarian: Be resistant to everything when raging.