PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else a touch bored by the arcane trickster?

Zeevico
2007-11-19, 07:27 AM
Just look at the poor guy. 2 abilities to his name and nothing interesting to show for it. Just a boring little copy with some extra skill points and fewer cross class skills. Anyone got ideas for an alternative arcane trickster? Throw 'em out here, I says, for the pleasure of the boards.

AstralFire
2007-11-20, 11:28 AM
Give the Bard ranged legedemain and you're done. Sad but true.

Frosty
2007-11-20, 12:33 PM
Unseen Seer? Beguiler?

littlechicory
2007-11-20, 02:40 PM
Heck, a straight-up spellthief would mop the floor with an arcane trickster, because the AT had to multiclass so many ways to get there...

Charlie Kemek
2007-11-20, 05:14 PM
yea, it doesn't work, I personally like the beguiler. 9 level spells, trap-finding, etc. It's effectively a (bard/[illusionist/enchanter])/rogue, something like that.

Edit: and it is in the players handbook II

levi
2007-11-22, 03:05 AM
NO!

I love the Arcane Trickster. Ranged Ledgermain is sooo much fun. And Improptu Sneak Attack is teh bomb. Sure, some of these new fangled fancy pants classes may make for better optimized build, but I don't care.

I don't play DnD to win. (Hint, you can't.) I don't play it to max out my DPS. I play to have fun. And the Arcane Trickster is fun incarnate. Has anyone here actually run one in a campaign? I have.

Lady Tialait
2007-11-22, 04:12 AM
I'll agree with Levi. the Situations involved make me giggle

AT: Let's see...tell me your Defences
BDF (Big Dumb Fighter): Well, I've had a turn..so i'm not flat-footed. your alone..i'm not flanked. um...I have good wisdom..and LOTs of focus in sense Motive (Oh please..i had the f'en feats) sooo...your screwed.
AT: Guess what i'm gunna do...SNEAK ATTACK!
BDF: How did you do that?
AT: You didn't see it comeing...or this one SNEAK ATTACK!

Collin152
2007-11-23, 04:37 PM
I'll agree with Levi. the Situations involved make me giggle

AT: Let's see...tell me your Defences
BDF (Big Dumb Fighter): Well, I've had a turn..so i'm not flat-footed. your alone..i'm not flanked. um...I have good wisdom..and LOTs of focus in sense Motive (Oh please..i had the f'en feats) sooo...your screwed.
AT: Guess what i'm gunna do...SNEAK ATTACK!
BDF: How did you do that?
AT: You didn't see it comeing...or this one SNEAK ATTACK!

BDF: Wha? Hey! Stop that! Aww, come on! Your poor little multi-class ravaged attack bonus is screaming for mercy! Come on, be cool!

Charlie Kemek
2007-11-23, 05:08 PM
ahem:

Feinting is a standard action. To feint, make a Bluff check opposed by a Sense Motive check by your target. The target may add his base attack bonus to this Sense Motive check. If your Bluff check result exceeds your target’s Sense Motive check result, the next melee attack you make against the target does not allow him to use his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any). This attack must be made on or before your next turn.

When feinting in this way against a nonhumanoid you take a -4 penalty. Against a creature of animal Intelligence (1 or 2), you take a -8 penalty. Against a nonintelligent creature, it’s impossible.

Feinting in combat does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Feinting as a Move Action
With the Improved Feint feat, you can attempt a feint as a move action instead of as a standard action.
so all he needs is to get improved feint feat, and can do this as many times per day as he wants, and still attack, as long as he has ranks in bluff, and an ok chr. this is cheeper than taking levels in arcane trickster. a few feats(not needed), some ranks in bluff, and you're done.

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-23, 05:19 PM
Human Wizard 4/Rogue 1/Unseen Seer 5/Arcane Trickster 10.

Take Able Learner.

+10 BAB, 19/20 Wizard Casting, +10d6 Sneak Attack, and Ranged Legerdemain.

One Impromptu Sneak Attack Reached Split Ray'd (Maximized via Rod) Arcane Thesis'd Vampiric Touch later and you've just dealt somewhere between 130-190 damage to a target for free.

Of course, you're better off using save-or-dies rather than damage as a wizard.