PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerers can spend hit dice on short rest to recover sorcery points - broken?

Mastikator
2021-11-25, 04:33 AM
Added to Font of Magic:

Blood magic: On a short rest a sorcerer can trade a hit dice, to recover a sorcery point, sorcery points recovered this way vanish at the end of a long rest.
The hit die spent and can't be used to heal and are recovered normally at the end of a long rest as if they had been used to heal.

This effectively doubles the sorcerer's sorcery pool if they don't use any hit dice for healing, this would also scale with multiclassing, since hit dice is based on character level. Is it broken?
Also a better name would be nice, couldn't think of anything.

Kane0
2021-11-25, 04:37 AM
Hmm its a fairly steep cost so probably not broken, but doing so would drastically increase reliance on other means of replenishing HP.

If a sorc used a Hit Die to get back an SP do they still qualify for a Bards Song of Rest?

Mastikator
2021-11-25, 05:05 AM
Hmm its a fairly steep cost so probably not broken, but doing so would drastically increase reliance on other means of replenishing HP.

If a sorc used a Hit Die to get back an SP do they still qualify for a Bards Song of Rest?

I would say no, song of rest calls out "spend one or more Hit Dice to regain hit points" and recovering sorcery points doesn't do that.

Ugmaro
2021-11-25, 05:56 AM
I think it would be borderline broken and needlessly complicated.

If you consider a divine soul sorcerer you'd get to cast a cure wounds for each hit dice you don't use, which gives back 1d8+cha mod to any creature you like. Basically it allows you to transfer your 1d6+con hit dice into other people's healing (or your own) on top of making it stronger, and this is the LEAST broken application I can think of.

Edit: Never mind, I forgot you need 2 sorc points to get a 1st level spell, might not be too bad though I'm not sure I'd want to add it anyway, as I feel the sorc is more than flexible enough

loki_ragnarock
2021-11-25, 09:43 AM
It's a good house rule. Provides a boon at a cost. More useful at low levels where a d6 is more likely to fill their pool, helping out with that feeling that their one class feature is over for the day after a round. Gives Sorcerer a distinguishing mechanical identity. I like it.

Even if you can convert it into a bunch of spell slots, it's still probably not going to touch the utility of ritual casting.

diplomancer
2021-11-25, 09:54 AM
I'd say that one thing to be careful about is that, in some campaigns, the price of a healing potion becomes trivial in later tiers; then it becomes not a cost, but a straight power boost. Or, to put it another way, would you pay 50gp for an extra sorcery point? At lower levels, probably not. At higher levels, definitely yes.

I still wouldn't call it *broken*, just powerful.

Sparky McDibben
2021-11-25, 11:23 AM
I just let sorcerers SP pools refresh on a short rest. I did the math once, assuming 2 SRs per day, and optimal conversions to spell slots, it works out to essentially Arcane Recovery. And no, I'm not terribly chuffed about divine souls abusing animate dead.

SociopathFriend
2021-11-25, 11:48 AM
Personally I've been considering doing that sort of thing for every class- any Short or Long Rest ability can be 'refreshed' mid-fight by expending a Hit Die.
Any spellcasting class can get spell slots back based on the number of HD sacrificed, 3 HD for example giving a Level 3 spell slot.

However the intent would be (I haven't done it yet so I dunno how well it will work) that a Hit Die lost in this fashion doesn't come back on a Long Rest. You'd need something like Greater Restoration to get it back. So it would be like pushing well beyond your natural limits and your body will not forgive you for it easily.

Sparky McDibben
2021-11-25, 03:41 PM
Personally I've been considering doing that sort of thing for every class- any Short or Long Rest ability can be 'refreshed' mid-fight by expending a Hit Die.
Any spellcasting class can get spell slots back based on the number of HD sacrificed, 3 HD for example giving a Level 3 spell slot.

However the intent would be (I haven't done it yet so I dunno how well it will work) that a Hit Die lost in this fashion doesn't come back on a Long Rest. You'd need something like Greater Restoration to get it back. So it would be like pushing well beyond your natural limits and your body will not forgive you for it easily.

This is an interesting idea! I'd probably have the spell slots (in this example) be [HD roll + casting mod] = spell levels gained. I'd need to do some math on it, but it doesn't feel unreasonable to me. As far as when those HD refresh, I like the greater restoration example. You could also say it takes a week ( or a month, if you really like downtime) to recover those HD. For more fun, make those downtime periods non-concurrent. So if you spend 2 HD in this manner, it takes 2 weeks to get them back.