PDA

View Full Version : Can spellthieves absorb spells that doesn't have saving throws?

Jonjonjon4
2021-11-25, 07:53 AM
I think the titles says it all.

"Absorb Spell (Su): Beginning at 7th level, if a spellthief makes a successful save against a spell that targets him, he can attempt to absorb the spell energy for later use. This ability affects only spells that have the spellthief asa target, not effect or area spells. A spellthief can't absorb a spell of a higher spell level than he could steal with his steal spell ability (see above)."

I mean, I'd say it can't, but it doesn't feel right for some reason

Tzardok
2021-11-25, 07:57 AM
Why doesn't it feel right? Absorbing a spell requires successfully resisting\evading\defeating it. A spell that can't be resisted in that way logically also can't be absorbed.

Saintheart
2021-11-25, 08:26 AM
So chalk up most anything that a Spellwarp Sniper can turn into a ray spell with as unable to be stopped by Absorb Spell. Interesting.

Particle_Man
2021-11-25, 11:28 AM
It is the classic rock=paper=scissors of D&D.

Wizard beats Fighter

Wizard beats Rogue

Wizard beats Spell Thief

:smallsmile:

Jonjonjon4
2021-11-25, 03:18 PM
So chalk up most anything that a Spellwarp Sniper can turn into a ray spell with as unable to be stopped by Absorb Spell. Interesting.

Depending on which Ray. There are some ray spell that stop at the first target, which can be considered a single target spell.

Also, many tables let spellthieves use a homebrew feat that allow the class to absorb area spells.

Tzardok
2021-11-25, 03:48 PM
Depending on which Ray. There are some ray spell that stop at the first target, which can be considered a single target spell.

Also, many tables let spellthieves use a homebrew feat that allow the class to absorb area spells.

A spell that hits multiple targets in a line isn't a ray, it's a line.

Thurbane
2021-11-26, 02:47 AM
May be worth mentioning that the Divine Denial feat allows a Will save against divine spells that normally allow no save...

Eurus
2021-11-28, 09:01 AM
Absorb Spell is already a very limited ability since it can only absorb spells that directly target the spellthief, and not, say, a fireball. The fact that it also can't absorb rays, while disappointing, isn't really surprising.