PDA

View Full Version : Incorporeal oozes

Noxangelo
2021-11-27, 07:13 PM
Hey

I'm trying to make an ooze incorporeal but they aren't eligible for any template I've found.

On a side question. How would engulf work with an incorporeal ooze?

Thurbane
2021-11-27, 07:23 PM
Well, not templated, but there's Ethereal Ooze (FF p.63) and Film of Night (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20021028a).

Phantom (MM5 p.130) can be applied to an Ooze, and adds some aspects of incorporeality....

Doctor Despair
2021-11-27, 10:33 PM
You could take an incorporeal creature and give them levels in Master of Many Forms to qualify for ooze wild shape

InvisibleBison
2021-11-27, 10:42 PM
A half-dragon sentry ooze is eligible to become a ghost.

KillianHawkeye
2021-11-28, 10:21 AM
On a side question. How would engulf work with an incorporeal ooze?

It wouldn't.

ShurikVch
2021-11-28, 10:50 AM
Dreamstealer Spawn (Dungeon #106/Polyhedron #165) and Shadow Simulacrum (Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land) give Incorporeal to any living creature (and change type to Undead and Living Construct respectively)

Jay R
2021-11-28, 02:54 PM
What is the goal here? An ooze is pretty much just physical stuff. And being engulfed pretty much means being surrounded by physical stuff.

Incorporeal means "not physical stuff". [Yes, that's an over-simplification. It's still mostly true.]

Tell us what you want this creature to do, or look like, or represent, and we may be able to help you. We may come up with something that meets your goals -- and I suspect it won't actually be an ooze.

But tell us your goal, not the method you're trying to use to achieve it.

Silva Stormrage
2021-12-03, 12:20 PM
I mean the incorporeal ooze could be default be hunting other incorporeal creatures. Which could be an amusing creature in a haunted house scenario. Or it could engulf and pin creatures using a telekinesis style effect.

Regardless my advice to the OP would be to just homebrew something if you want incorporeal oozes. Oozes in general have a limited amount of splat support and incorporeal oozes bring up a bunch of weird interactions that it would be easier to just have a DM ruling on.

Telonius
2021-12-04, 05:30 PM
My only thought would be to look into Living Spells. Their type is Ooze, so if you can find a spell that makes an area incorporeal, it could work in tandem with another Living Spell. (Incorporeal-making spell hits other living spell, which is now incorporeal). It'd be temporary, though.

2021-12-07, 08:29 AM
Incorporeal Oozes (or heck, some kinda weird Living Spell) might be a neat way to approach the Color Out Of Space...