PDA

View Full Version : If only life was less predictable [Traits]

BisectedBrioche
2007-11-19, 10:58 AM
These are just some feats I came up with based around the theme of a random variation in something that's normally (in the d20 rules) fixed.

Erratic Gait
Your style of walking is unusual. The strange series of steps, skips and jumps may aid or hinder your movement.

Benefits: At the begining of each round roll 1d2. Heads represents 1, tails represents 2. Next roll another 1d2, if the result is heads then your speed increases by the number of squares you rolled before.

Drawback: If you end up with tails for the second roll then your BLS is reduced by the apropriate amount.

Roleplaying ideas: A character with this trait may be quite an unusual individual or they may have decided to adopt this gait for the benifits.

Damaging Effort
You have spent many years training and developing your abilities, thus giving you an edge. However the strain of this has taken its toll and your skills may suffer if you're unlucky.

Benefits: The player chooses one ability score to apply this trait to. Every day (when they wake up) they roll 1d2. If the result is a heads then the score is increased by 1 for the rest of the day.

Drawback: If the toss comes up as tails then the ability is treated as being 1 point lower for the rest of the day.

Role Playing ideas: A character who takes this trait would most likely have some reason for wanting to improve their score. Maybe they were pushed hard by a parent, though they were lacking in that area or simply have an obsessive personality.

Worn Skills
You have spent all your time practising a skill and both suffer and benefit from it.

Benefits: The player chooses one skill to apply this trait to. Every tiem they make a check with this skill they roll 1d2. They then role another 1d2, if the result is a heads then the result of the first roll is added to the check.

Drawbacks: If the second toss comes up as tails then result of the first roll is deducted from the check rather than added.

Role Playing Ideas: This trait may be taken for the same reasons as the Damaging Effort trait. There is also the possibility that the character has a hobby of some sort which they practised with too much enthusiasm.

Spiryt
2007-11-19, 11:09 AM
Erratic Gait [Random]
Your style of walking is unusual. The strange series of steps, skips and jumps may aid or hinder your movement.

http://bestuff.com/images/images_of_stuff/210x600/silly-walking-25151.jpg

Sorry, couldn't fight it. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, I think those are fine, but should be traits.

DracoDei
2007-11-19, 12:27 PM
1d2-1 has a minimum of 0... no penalty... make it 1d3-2 an you might be getting somewhere... similar changes are needed with other areas. You may end up using a lot of dice with odd numbers of sides if you want to keep it balanced between harm and benefit.

I agree about them being traits rather than feats.

BisectedBrioche
2007-11-19, 12:29 PM
How do I get a 1d3? And I agree wit hte comments regarding traits. Give me a moment and I'll restructure the post.

MagFlare
2007-11-19, 12:41 PM
How do I get a 1d3?

You can buy d3s. They're rare - most people just use d6s and divide the result by two (rounding up) - but true d3s exist.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/D3wiki.JPG

BisectedBrioche
2007-11-19, 12:55 PM
OK, I've modified the rolls to be based around d2s (otherwise known as "flipping a coin") and re-structured the feats as traits.

I would also like to add that I believe that the d3 just shouldn't be :smalleek:

DracoDei
2007-11-19, 01:10 PM
The one for skills needs editing... still looks like it is the one for attributes. Also I would have that vary by a 1d4 (or something) rather than one point in that case (which kinda goes along with the misplaced words).

Spiryt
2007-11-19, 05:54 PM
I would also like to add that I believe that the d3 just shouldn't be :smalleek:

You mean true d3's, like on Mag Flare's picture, or generally, d3 rolls?

BisectedBrioche
2007-11-19, 06:21 PM
You mean true d3's, like on Mag Flare's picture, or generally, d3 rolls?

Actual d3's. They have an aurora of madness about them....I mean its a dice, BUT CYLINDRICAL....ish!

Nebo_
2007-11-19, 07:51 PM
Uh... just roll a d6 and halve it.

Demented
2007-11-19, 08:46 PM
Or mark the 4,5,6 as 1,2,3. Giving you a 1dd3, or something.

As far as the traits... They seem a tad random. =P