PDA

View Full Version : “He can use any feat he has except...item creation feats...”

Flame of Anor
2021-11-29, 12:37 AM
From the description of the barbarian's rage:

While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats.

Has the thought “Gee, I wish my barbarian could use his item creation feats while raging!” ever crossed a player's mind in the history of 3.x?

Gruftzwerg
2021-11-29, 01:14 AM

Has the thought “Gee, I wish my barbarian could use his item creation feats while raging!” ever crossed a player's mind in the history of 3.x?

^^

It's the other way around. They want to prevent you from using the rage as buff for crafting purposes.
e.g. "You may not rage while crafting a sword."
It's to prevent rage abuse outside of combat. Not to prevent crafting while fighting xD
Sorry your interpretation makes me *rofl*
But I can see where you are coming from. thx for the good laugh ;)

icefractal
2021-11-29, 03:16 AM
Rage as a buff for crafting purposes? :smallconfused:
There's not really anything to buff during magic item crafting, much less anything that Rage would help with.

Gruftzwerg
2021-11-29, 03:40 AM
Rage as a buff for crafting purposes? :smallconfused:
There's not really anything to buff during magic item crafting, much less anything that Rage would help with.

Dunno, I think I've seen a few specific items with physical attribute requirements to craft (str I think). But can't really remember. Maybe it was something homebrew?

Batcathat
2021-11-29, 03:44 AM
Now I kind of want to do it, just because I really like the mental image of someone carefully crafting something while screaming in incoherent rage the entire time.

Asmotherion
2021-11-29, 03:53 AM
I mean, crafting feats require the use of Spells, which the Barbarian doesn't have, so... I don't know what they were trying to accomplish with it. Maybe some never published draft of the crafting rules would have somehow benefited from a Raging Barbarian Crafter, and they wanted to make sure they vettoed that? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quertus
2021-11-29, 06:12 AM
They've clearly never listened to programmers work, if they think that a gestalt Barbarian // Wizard wouldn't be raging while crafting.

I suspect it's the same in other creative industries.

Malphegor
2021-11-29, 06:16 AM
Maybe the physical manufacturing bit requires care and attention?

<smashing a half built amulet into the wall>

BECOME! MAGIC! OR! ELSE! HUAAAARRRGH!

eggynack
2021-11-29, 08:09 AM
I mean, crafting feats require the use of Spells, which the Barbarian doesn't have, so... I don't know what they were trying to accomplish with it. Maybe some never published draft of the crafting rules would have somehow benefited from a Raging Barbarian Crafter, and they wanted to make sure they vettoed that? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think that's kinda the point. Barbarians explicitly lose access to casting while in rage. So it makes sense that this would be a basic extrapolation of the existing rules made explicit rather than an actual attempt to foreclose on ragecrafting as a balance thing.

Elkad
2021-11-29, 11:40 AM
Bag of Holding.
How do you get 250 cuft of empty space in a 4cuft sack?

Rage and pound it in with a maul obviously.

Troacctid
2021-11-29, 04:12 PM
You all laugh, but there are real druidic avengers out there who are in pain because they can't get the extra spell penetration from Grell Alchemy while using their Rage Casting feat!

Seward
2021-11-29, 05:36 PM
A rage mage (CW prc) can cast and rage simultaneously. Can't see how it helps with crafting (can raise DC by 2 or quicken a spell or cast spells while under a Tenser Transformation type class ability, but rage doesn't last long enough to craft and none of these help with crafting in any way)

Maybe they imagined a crafter-type PRC with standard action magic item crafting?

Particle_Man
2021-11-29, 06:45 PM
Maybe they imagined some “eternal rage unless you explicitly meet the co diction to end it, go unconscious, or die” ability?

Isn’t there some variant that has rage auto turn on when you are below half your max hp?

Edit: Yes there is! Berserker Strength from PHB II has the same limitations as rage. So, no crafting magic items until you have at least half your hp?

Jack_Simth
2021-11-29, 08:06 PM
The Berserking Sword (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#swordBerserking) could theoretically keep one in a rage long enough to craft if it weren't for this clause. Of course, that sword also dictates your behavior. I suppose not all living things are creatures, and there's that multiple mental control effects clause... so a Dominated Wizard holding a Berserking sword can't craft due to this clause, but would have a chance to do so without it?

Jay R
2021-11-29, 11:03 PM

Not yet. But now that you've suggested it, I want to use, "Why can't I use my item creation feats?" as a raging battle cry

RSGA
2021-11-30, 02:26 PM
There's also probably some kind of silly thing to be done with Ilumians and Str-based bonus slots to get an extra few casts at the end of a day for the purposes of hedging in some extra bits of crafting, but that seems like a waste compared to using the rage and extra slots for just about anything else. But you'd need to be a non-prepared caster in most cases.

pabelfly
2021-12-01, 06:38 AM

It's 3.5, of course it has.

Flame of Anor
2021-12-02, 05:49 PM
So to sum up: for rage to be useful for item creation, there has to be 1) a magic item whose creation requires a certain STR or CON score, and 2) something that allows the barbarian to rage for 8 hours straight.

With the hindsight of a hundred different splatbooks, that combination is not out of the question, but I just can't imagine the designers considering it when writing the 3.0 Player's Handbook. I suppose they were just thinking “We'll rule out all the magical feats, regardless of whether they're relevant or not.”

Jervis
2021-12-02, 07:34 PM
You made me make this.

Rage Crafter

General feat

Prerequisites: Rage class ability, 1 item creation feat

You can craft a magic item using a item creation feat you possess as a standard action while raging as well as make Craft checks. To make a magic item while raging you must make a Craft check DC 10 + the items unmodified caster level, failure means half of the costly materials are wasted. Success means the item is crafted in one action as you furiously bang away at the uncompleted item in frustration. The item’s caster level also increases by 1/2 the bonus to your strength score granted by your rage, this does not effect the item’s cost.

Particle_Man
2021-12-02, 11:42 PM
Maybe rage and permanency could be cast on an enemy wizard or artificer to render them unable to make magic items?

Or a particularly worded geas, curse or even wish? That could be amusing, actually.

Gruftzwerg
2021-12-03, 12:52 AM
Maybe rage and permanency could be cast on an enemy wizard or artificer to render them unable to make magic items?

Or a particularly worded geas, curse or even wish? That could be amusing, actually.

I've seen people cast rage offensively to prevent enemy casters from casting, but this is new.

Hm.. I'm imagining a roguish caster that works for a guild or cooperation that crafts and sells magic items. His work is to stop the work of other crafters that are not part of the cooperation. They will lose their contracts, because they can't finish the product on time. Thus turning the customers to the cooperation.^^

Jack_Simth
2021-12-03, 08:29 AM
You made me make this.

Rage Crafter

General feat

Prerequisites: Rage class ability, 1 item creation feat

You can craft a magic item using a item creation feat you possess as a standard action while raging as well as make Craft checks. To make a magic item while raging you must make a Craft check DC 10 + the items unmodified caster level, failure means half of the costly materials are wasted. Success means the item is crafted in one action as you furiously bang away at the uncompleted item in frustration. The item’s caster level also increases by 1/2 the bonus to your strength score granted by your rage, this does not effect the item’s cost.

Great feat for someone who wants to make golems (or any magic item, really). Qualifying is painful, though. Maybe a barbarian-1/Artificer-X? Can spit out items VERY quickly (even with a base con of 10, you get five rounds of range, which could be five items, regardless of their market price.

Flame of Anor
2021-12-04, 04:54 AM
Qualifying is painful, though. Maybe a barbarian-1/Artificer-X?

There aren't a lot of non-barbarian ways to get rage, but a single-classed Druidic Avenger (UA) gets both rage and spells. I'm not sure what fun items you can craft with a druid spell list, but there must be quite a few.

Mordaedil
2021-12-04, 11:42 AM
The only thing that comes to mind are 3.0 Psionic classes where you prime attribute can be strength or constitution depending on discipline.

Lin
2021-12-04, 03:59 PM
Becoming unable to use Extra Rings could hurt a little, depending on how your DM interprets "cannot use." Few barbarians would qualify, but you can use templates to cheat (Shadow template's CL15 Plane Shift SLA, for example).

Gruftzwerg
2021-12-04, 04:18 PM
ok. I've found an Item with an attribute dependency to craft. But it's DEX.

Monkey Head Talisman from Dragon #351 (IIRC) requires combat feats as requirement to craft (Deflect Arrorow, Spring Attack, Stunning Fist). But as said it requires DEX. Do we have any items that maybe depend on Power Attack (STR) to craft?

Milodiah
2021-12-04, 07:16 PM
I'm very disappointed that there are already 26 posts in this thread and not one person has explained a beautifully ridiculous system of loopholes and overall jankiness that this is specifically meant to block.

Another Handle
2021-12-04, 10:00 PM
I'm very disappointed that there are already 26 posts in this thread and not one person has explained a beautifully ridiculous system of loopholes and overall jankiness that this is specifically meant to block.

I think this is one of those rare cases where they were just trying to parallel skills and feats and be through. Not many other feats in the PHB require patience other than the also blocked Skill Focus.

Or maybe they didn't want you to use that sweet will save bonus to...IDK, sacrifice souls for xp or some junk? Get around a permanent Rage spell by crafting a scroll of remove curse? Something something negative hitpoints drowning omniscificer.

Milodiah
2021-12-05, 09:55 AM
I think this is one of those rare cases where they were just trying to parallel skills and feats and be through. Not many other feats in the PHB require patience other than the also blocked Skill Focus.

Or maybe they didn't want you to use that sweet will save bonus to...IDK, sacrifice souls for xp or some junk? Get around a permanent Rage spell by crafting a scroll of remove curse? Something something negative hitpoints drowning omniscificer.

Yeah, I've just learned over the years that if you stumble across a bizarrely specific rule or errata item, it's there because somebody did it. I'm just not familiar with the specifics of the normal item crafting rules because I don't care for the fact that it costs XP and always try to find alternative ways to pay the piper when I DM (with varying degrees of success). That implies that every magic item crafter has a Murder Dungeon he goes down into and slays some kobolds or something whenever you order a ring of protection or something, since combat is the most reliable source of XP.

afroakuma
2021-12-05, 10:10 AM
Now I kind of want to do it, just because I really like the mental image of someone carefully crafting something while screaming in incoherent rage the entire time.

I mean that's how I make most things... :smallconfused:

Milodiah
2021-12-05, 10:30 AM
I mean that's how I make most things... :smallconfused:

In all fairness, I once played a Werewolf: the Apocalypse game in which I was a Glass Walker who did such a good job of integrating into human society that I was running for the Nevada State House of Representatives. The only time I ever went full-on werewolf rage mode in that was when the GM asked me what my character was doing after the party split up to go to their various homes/lairs, I replied "trying to fix my washing machine" because it was the most mundane thing I could think of on the spot, and for the next thirty seconds the GM called for checks that I failed until I said "screw it I'm raging."

Seven successes. I kicked it so hard it started working again.

Jervis
2021-12-05, 12:26 PM
ok. I've found an Item with an attribute dependency to craft. But it's DEX.

Monkey Head Talisman from Dragon #351 (IIRC) requires combat feats as requirement to craft (Deflect Arrorow, Spring Attack, Stunning Fist). But as said it requires DEX. Do we have any items that maybe depend on Power Attack (STR) to craft?

There is the one Barbarian rage variant that boosts Dex.

Feldar
2021-12-09, 03:06 PM
You all laugh, but there are real druidic avengers out there who are in pain because they can't get the extra spell penetration from Grell Alchemy while using their Rage Casting feat!

I want to meet a real druidic avenger. To which country do I fly? :smallamused:

mashlagoo1982
2021-12-09, 04:57 PM
I choose to believe rage fixing is how Marty McFly got his time machine to work and return to his proper timeline.

Gusmo
2021-12-09, 09:21 PM
Let's keep in mind that rage was written at the beginning of third edition. In an entire product lifecycle, they were probably just trying to make the writing hold up well for some potential future feat, which isn't actually that crazy. Maybe they were envisioning future feats that would let you allow you to create temporary magic items within an encounter, for instance by quickly scribing a rune on a branch and turning it into a +2 flaming greatsword.

Jervis
2021-12-09, 10:47 PM
Let's keep in mind that rage was written at the beginning of third edition. In an entire product lifecycle, they were probably just trying to make the writing hold up well for some potential future feat, which isn't actually that crazy. Maybe they were envisioning future feats that would let you allow you to create temporary magic items within an encounter, for instance by quickly scribing a rune on a branch and turning it into a +2 flaming greatsword.

Somewhere a artificer just smiled for reasons he doesn’t understand

RexDart
2021-12-10, 10:53 AM
My DM has a homebrew race derived mostly, I think, from the "Shifters" of Eberron:
https://srd.dndtools.org/srd/races/racesEberron.html

They have rage-like abilities, but which can vary according to Trait selection. I don't think any of them would help crafting, but Dreamsight temporarily boosts Wisdom, and thus could boost the use of a Profession skill.

In planning for my character to take the Leadership feat, I want to have my cook be a follower with Dreamsight, who uses is to enhance Profession(Cook). Basically topping off the culinary effort with several rounds of rage. I was thinking the Swedish Chef as a model (e.g., when he has to chase chickens or whatever animal makes up the main course all around the kitchen), but Gordon Ramsay also works.