PDA

View Full Version : Devil's Favor Feat Question

Benejeseret
2007-11-19, 11:22 AM
Devil's Favor and its writeup is causing mild confusion in my group.

Its bonus can be added "when you attempt an attack, save or check of any sort".

What defines a check? Does it mean all skill checks...or any sort of check at all?

Example: If casting Summon Monster 2 to gain 1d3 SM1 monsters, and thus "checking" how many monster appear.....could Devil's Favor make it 1d3+2 monsters?

Thanks

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-19, 11:26 AM
No it has to be described as a check. Checks include skill checks, ability checks, turning checks, dispel checks, grapple checks and caster level checks to name a few.

Aquillion
2007-11-19, 11:26 AM
I think if it meant 'any die roll', it would have said 'any die roll'. 'Check of any sort' means 'anything described as a check', to me.

Chrismith
2007-11-19, 11:31 AM
You can try arguing this with your DM if you're feeling brave, but the PHB specifically describes what constitutes a check:

check: A method of determining the result when a character attempts an action (other than an attack or a saving throw) that has a chance of failure. Checks are based on a relevant character ability, skill, or other characteristic. Most checks are either ability checks or skill checks, though special types such as turning checks, caster level checks, dispel checks, and initiative checks also exist...

It also says that a check consists of rolling a d20 and adding/subtracting modifiers. So rolling to see how many monsters are summoned isn't a check because it's not a success-or-failure-against-a-DC kind of thing. It's just a roll.