PDA

View Full Version : Spend 10,390 GP for a 20th level Character

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-19, 11:34 AM
I have bought all I can think to buy, I have a mere 10,390 left to spend. It's Core (expanded Core including XPH) only, so that should make things faster. It's all being spent. So, what would you suggest in that price range.

I am not going to list my character or what I have already bought; just fire away with what you would do with the list gold.

For ease of listing, I will say that the character is going to be able to use any Spell Trigger item (or Psi-Trigger?) and any Scroll (or Power Stone or other Spell Completion item) of up to 5th level (CL 11).

Overlard
2007-11-19, 11:49 AM
5,295 daggers?

Lochar
2007-11-19, 11:50 AM
Instant cover, tree and boat feather tokens.

Sovereign glue.

The higher end bag of tricks.

dust of dryness, either preused or still usable.

JaxGaret
2007-11-19, 11:55 AM
Scrape up a few gold for a Crystal Mask of Mindarmor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#crystalMaskofMindarmor).

AKA_Bait
2007-11-19, 12:05 PM
I presume you already have a Hewards and a bag of holding?

How about a few utility scrolls? Knock, Invisibility, etc.

Alex12
2007-11-19, 12:08 PM
Candle of Invocation (8400gp). Gate in a Solar. Wish.

or grab a Hand of Glory (8,000gp) and another ring to put on the extra space it provides.

Aquillion
2007-11-19, 12:18 PM
Infinite quarterstaves.

Alex12
2007-11-19, 12:23 PM
Infinite quarterstaves.

That still leaves you with all your cash, and you don't need to be level 20 to do it.

Yeril
2007-11-19, 12:26 PM
How about a Raise dead or True Rez scroll for "emergencys"

Aquillion
2007-11-19, 12:31 PM
That still leaves you with all your cash, and you don't need to be level 20 to do it.All right, all right.

One million, thirty-nine thousand candles. Or 10,390 tons of firewood. Or enough ladders to reach nearly 400 miles straight up, when tied together. Or a 40-mile pole (stupid ladder prices vs pole prices!) Or 1039 tons of horse feed. Or five personal warships. (Seriously, pick up at least one warship. Then flood the dungeon so you can bring it with you.) Or send a messenger 519,000 miles. Or hire an untrained hireling for ~284.5 years.

KIDS
2007-11-19, 12:37 PM
Or send a messenger 519,000 miles.

You just inspired something close to Journey Around the World in 80 days in my mind... Phileas Fogg or someone akin to it. Great idea :)

Keld Denar
2007-11-19, 12:44 PM
Or send a messenger 519,000 miles.

Queue the obligatory "The Proclamers" music...

And I wouldn't walk 500 miles, and I wouldn't walk 500 more, but to be the man, who walked 519,000 miles to fall down at your door.

Duh duh duhhhhhhhh!!!

Chronos
2007-11-19, 04:46 PM
Whatever expendable items you have on your list already, buy a few more of them. If you have good reason to cast a spell off of a scroll, or drink a potion, or whatever once, you might have good reason to do it twice.

Indon
2007-11-19, 04:59 PM
Is it the Bag of Tricks that contains animals?

Get the high-quality version of that. Bear on demand!

Great for when you're high-level and you're up against something high-CR, like America.

Hyozo
2007-11-19, 05:11 PM
Soverign glue is (almost) always worth having.

Aquillion
2007-11-19, 08:01 PM
Let's see, to get serious again for a moment...

Dust of Sneezing and Choking (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63998) can be a useful one-shot win button for a mere 2100 gold.

Don't forget to get a Masterwork Tool for each and every skill you or anyone you know could ever conceivably want to use, of course.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-19, 08:05 PM
You might also want a Ring of Sustenance, or a few Ioun stones (never leave home without 'em bones!).

herrhauptmann
2007-11-19, 08:15 PM
Alex12, that's not a very expensive ring after buying the hand of glory. Though I think you can get jumping +4 for it.

Lussmanj, my ears hurt after that misquoted song.

Orzel
2007-11-19, 08:19 PM
5 arrows with every damage enhancement you can think of.

A. Smith
2007-11-19, 08:34 PM
Check this thread (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=657626), on the wizard character optimization forums. Basically, the list of broken items for their price.

BTW, first post here. Hey!

F.L.
2007-11-19, 08:42 PM
Actually, infinite quarterstaffs just might cost 10,390 gp, as infinity*0 is undefined, as is 0/0. So it depends on just how uncountably infinite your infinity is as to how much it costs. Aleph-10390 might do the trick.

Armads
2007-11-19, 08:53 PM
a masterwork dagger, and a hand of glory + ring of feather falling.

BabbageCliolog
2007-11-19, 09:03 PM
I have bought all I can think to buy, I have a mere 10,390 left to spend. It's Core (expanded Core including XPH) only, so that should make things faster. It's all being spent. So, what would you suggest in that price range.

I am not going to list my character or what I have already bought; just fire away with what you would do with the list gold.

For ease of listing, I will say that the character is going to be able to use any Spell Trigger item (or Psi-Trigger?) and any Scroll (or Power Stone or other Spell Completion item) of up to 5th level (CL 11).

Why buy magic items when you can buy so much more!

Become a patron of the arts
Start a business
Lend the money to others to start businesses
Build a giant cathedral
Buy a noble title
Give to the poor
Buy a share in a company
Hire some mages on retainer
Build a castle
Start a charity down by the docks
Start a newspaper
Improve your neighborhood
Buy a section of town that are slums and rebuild the houses there
Blow it all on a city-wide party
Hire bards to travel the land, singing your praises
Use it as the base of your wealth (keep it)
Start a bank
With wealth like that, young rich widows will find you attractive
Loan the money to the government with interest
Support revolutionaries
Pay bards to travel the land, vilifying your enemies
Outfit a trading expedition
Open a tavern and put your competitors out of business
Buy a bunch of small stables around town and unify them
Get involved in the Goldsmith Guild
Start a mercenary company
Live the life of an indolent playboy
Build a great townhouse

/BC

Demented
2007-11-19, 09:09 PM
All right, all right.

One million, thirty-nine thousand candles. Or 10,390 tons of firewood. Or enough ladders to reach nearly 400 miles straight up, when tied together. Or a 40-mile pole (stupid ladder prices vs pole prices!) Or 1039 tons of horse feed. Or five personal warships. (Seriously, pick up at least one warship. Then flood the dungeon so you can bring it with you.) Or send a messenger 519,000 miles. Or hire an untrained hireling for ~284.5 years.
I think that just put into perspective exactly what level 20 characters are all about.
Though, you can only afford half of a warship. You could, however, get a longship. Or even better, 207 rowboats. Or 1 rowboat and 20.68 million lbs. of firewood.
You could also hire 94 trained hirelings for a year. To go with your rowboat.

de-trick
2007-11-19, 09:53 PM

they'd pull the holy grail.

JaxGaret
2007-11-19, 10:09 PM
You win this thread, Babbage.

ocato
2007-11-19, 10:22 PM

Become a patron of the arts
Start a business
Lend the money to others to start businesses
Build a giant cathedral
Buy a noble title
Give to the poor
Buy a share in a company
Hire some mages on retainer
Build a castle
Start a charity down by the docks
Start a newspaper
Improve your neighborhood
Buy a section of town that are slums and rebuild the houses there
Blow it all on a city-wide party
Hire bards to travel the land, singing your praises
Use it as the base of your wealth (keep it)
Start a bank
With wealth like that, young rich widows will find you attractive
Loan the money to the government with interest
Support revolutionaries
Outfit a trading expedition
Open a tavern and put your competitors out of business
Buy a bunch of small stables around town and unify them
Get involved in the Goldsmith Guild
Start a mercenary company
Live the life of an indolent playboy
Build a great townhouse

/BC

Best suggestion by far.

Ganurath
2007-11-19, 10:27 PM
BC is a genius. That being said, I'd like to combine the ideas of indolent playboy and tavern monopoly. Best be sure you set up shop in a CN town and establish yourself with the guilds, first, though.

JaxGaret
2007-11-19, 10:41 PM
I'm going to amend my last post: You win the thread, Babbage.

But the Crystal Mask of Mindarmor is going to be what saves your ass when the Lich Ultimate Magus tries to Dominate you :)

KoDT69
2007-11-19, 10:51 PM
Or depending on the DM, if he has a preferred god for his NPC clerics in the current storyline, take that gold and donate it to their church. You never know when those brownie points might pay off for your wizard! :smallsmile:

skywalker
2007-11-19, 11:02 PM
5,295 daggers?

You can never have enough daggers...

Dude, lussmanj, it's "I would walk 500 miles." I'm just sayin'.

I also like the indolent playboy idea.

bugsysservant
2007-11-19, 11:06 PM
Hmm, tempting as the other suggestions are, I would definitely go with: 519,500 chickens. You can never have too many chickens.

BabbageCliolog
2007-11-19, 11:47 PM
they'd pull the holy grail.

Hopefully, your GM is a MP quote hater.

/BC

BabbageCliolog
2007-11-19, 11:48 PM
You win this thread, Babbage.

*bows*

/BC

BabbageCliolog
2007-11-19, 11:54 PM
I'm going to amend my last post: You win the thread, Babbage.

But the Crystal Mask of Mindarmor is going to be what saves your ass when the Lich Ultimate Magus tries to Dominate you :)

True, but I will have died with style. My heirs will have a stable/tavern empire called "McCliologics," my beloved young beautiful widow will weep at my graveside, the artists, playwrights, and actors I sponsored will paint, write epics that praise me to the masses, and my mercenary company will take revenge or die trying.

/BC

AslanCross
2007-11-20, 12:13 AM
1. Buy 94 everburning torches and have the city's main street lit and named in your honor.

2. Start a farm.

Aquillion
2007-11-20, 02:11 AM
Oh, I had a better idea. You can buy animals for 50 gp per HD for an animal 3 HD or less, or 100 gp plus 75 gp per HD for an animal that has more then 3 HD.

A bison has 5 HD, so we'll be spending 475 gp each. That gets us a mere 21 bison. These bison have an odd ability called 'stampede' that (assuming we can use an illusion or something to frighten them enough) lets them do 1d12 points of damage per 5 bison in the herd, so this lets us do 5d12, reflex save DC 18 for half... hrm, actually, I guess it isn't that hot. You need more money or a better source of bison.

A Cachalot Whale (aka a Sperm Whale) will cost us a thousand gold at 12 HD, so we could get ten of them, then use a Hulking Hurler build to throw them at our enemies.

How much does a war elephant cost? I seem to recall that war training is 75 gp extra, so unless there's some special price listed for it somewhere (there must be), it comes to 11 hd = 925 + 75 for training = 1000 gp even, once again. This actually isn't such a bad idea... ten trained war elephants would be able to attack on command.

Leopard are only 3 HD, so they come in cheap at 150 hp, or 225 for a war leopard! You could get 46 trained ones, or 69 untrained ones (which would promptly try to eat you if you let them out.) This one isn't such a bad idea, either... they die easily, but they have pounce and improved grab, so you can often distract an enemy by getting one of your 46 leopards latched on to them. A bit less effective at level 20, though.

On the other hand, while apes are 4 HD, they have +12 to their grapple check (vs a leopard's weak +6) and have a ten-foot reach. At 475 gold each, we can afford 21 of them. One of them is bound to hit.

A medium untrained shark, at 3 HD, costs 150 gold, so we've got 69 of them again. That's enough to use as ammo for a hulking hurler build!

But we're ignoring the real fun. A Tyrannosaurus has a whopping 18 HD, so they'll cost us 1450 gold, or 1525 if we want a war-trained Tyrannosaurus. We'll have to settle for six trained attack Tyrannosauruses if we take this route. A Roc has 18 HD, too, so it'll cost the same amount... what player wouldn't want their own personal fleet of Rocs to carry them from place to place? A nice transportation alternative.

Or we could get a pony. Just because. They're specially priced at 30 gp. We could also get 346 ponies, because you never have enough ponies.

tyckspoon
2007-11-20, 02:27 AM
I've gotta vote for the dinousaurs. Or the ponies. Or.. both? Five War Rexes and however many ponies you can get with what's left.

Aquillion
2007-11-20, 02:35 AM
I've gotta vote for the dinousaurs. Or the ponies. Or.. both? Five War Rexes and however many ponies you can get with what's left.Even if you get six war rexes, you still have 1240 gp left. So you can get six war rexes and 41 ponies for that extra-special combination.

VerdugoExplode
2007-11-20, 02:43 AM
Hire 2000 commoners for only 5 gold a piece(which is quite a bit to a commoner) for one day and build yourself a commoner rail gun to fire at the BBEG's hideout before the campaign even begins. Not only is this a wise investment of money you might end the campaign before it's even started.

Ganurath
2007-11-20, 03:00 AM
...you might end the campaign before it's even started.Your plan fails.

For item investment, I'd suggest four Dusts of Choking and Sneezing for quick crowd control (read: killemall,) a pair of tree feather tokens for quick cover, and spend the last 190 on gifts for your party members' birthdays, weddings, and/or baby showers.

serpent615
2007-11-20, 03:00 AM
you could pay some poor fool to follow you around with coconuts instead of buying a horse.....

or buy a horse, and still have some poor guy make sound effects...:smallbiggrin:

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-20, 07:37 AM
I will add my own vote for what I bought; (2) Salves of Slipperiness, (1) Bead of Force, (1) Chime of Opening and I spent the rest hiring Bards to assist me on a Perform check at the beginning of the adventure and to sing praises of me.

Since I finished what I was doing with the character, I will tell you what it was for. It's for a character who was being entered in a 20th level Core only tournament. Yesterday were the qualifiers and I had to have everything done. I had already figured out most of the equipment, I just had that remainder and was looking to be inspired.

I wish I had bought Feather Tokens. I just spaced on it like 10,390 times.

At any rate, the way the qualifiers for the tournament work is you go through certain "tests" and the top 3 (or 4, there may be a wildcard) go on to "the final round", which based on previous years of this tournament, would be PvP.

I was the 6th person to attempt to qualify for the Tournament so far.

I will not reveal any details of the tournament, or my character until after this Tournament finishes, in case any of my fellow competitors are involved.

As I was saying though, there were five before me and there will be two to four after me, until the qualifiers finish. Everyone is awarded points, based on how well they do in the tests. I have no idea how the scoring system works. All I know is my character is now the number one contender!

I can very proudly say that, aside from the 10k gold, I got no other outside assistance or guidance on the character build. I have never seen the like of my character concept or execution, which is pretty darn tough for Core.

No, it is not Batman or CoDzilla. The main reason I didn't seek advice for the character was I knew all I would get was "Play Batman or CoDzilla!!111"; this character manages to be the holy (or unholy) trinity of very fun, very tough and very dangerous. It even involves a lot of hilarious role-playing, which in most cases people would say "so what, if it's a tournament - why roleplay?" to which I say, "it's still a tournament in the D&D world; my character should have more depth than the list of feats, skill and magic items I have".

At any rate; I just really jazzed about qualifying. I can't believe I am #1! Ironically, the character originated as a joke and something of a thought experiment, as I kept working on it though it became more and more obviously awesome.

I'm not going to go into to many details about the equipment, but I will say a lot of you had some good ideas, however I had already bought those items. :P

Keld Denar
2007-11-20, 08:13 AM
Dude, lussmanj, it's "I would walk 500 miles." I'm just sayin'.

Oh.....so that's why everyone boos when I sing this song at Karaoke on Fridays at Crunchies....It all becomes soooo clear.

Idea Man
2007-11-20, 12:04 PM
Buy some extra scrolls. Scribe some more spells. Get down tonight...

Put together an "Oh $#!@, I just lost my stuff!" package, and hide it somewhere. Should have a spellbook with the essentials, components, 500gp for expenses, map to treasure you thought to piddly to go after before...

Chronos
2007-11-20, 02:51 PM
Or we could get a pony. Just because. They're specially priced at 30 gp. We could also get 346 ponies, because you never have enough ponies.Just make sure you have enough money to spare to buy some pink ribbons, to tie in their manes.

Tekraen
2007-11-20, 03:25 PM
Even if you get six war rexes, you still have 1240 gp left. So you can get six war rexes and 41 ponies for that extra-special combination.

So you buy the rexes and their meals in a package deal?

I think you could pull at least a 2-pony bonus for that.

Tekraen
2007-11-20, 03:28 PM
True, but I will have died with style. My heirs will have a stable/tavern empire called "McCliologics," my beloved young beautiful widow will weep at my graveside, the artists, playwrights, and actors I sponsored will paint, write epics that praise me to the masses, and my mercenary company will take revenge or die trying.

/BC

Don't forget, the goldsmith's guild will erect a likeness of you in front of the university you founded, where the students will rub your shoe for good luck before their final exams.

Also, the revolutions you funded will create a new social philosophy in your honor, named Cliologism. Truly, a lasting empire.

This is giving me far too many ideas the next time I play DnD and come into some money.

BabbageCliolog
2007-11-20, 04:20 PM
Don't forget, the goldsmith's guild will erect a likeness of you in front of the university you founded, where the students will rub your shoe for good luck before their final exams.

Also, the revolutions you funded will create a new social philosophy in your honor, named Cliologism. Truly, a lasting empire.

Well, I didn't want to mention those things, as I wished to retain just a bit of modesty. :smallbiggrin:

This is giving me far too many ideas the next time I play DnD and come into some money.

Thank you. *bows*

/BC