PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Sanity Check: Draconic Sorcerer

MrDaniel
2021-11-30, 02:09 AM
I am running Tyranny of Dragons. One of my players is big on roleplay but rules averse. They are playing a Gold Dragonborn Barbarian - which is quite friendly for the rules-lite.

As someone who likes roleplay though, they are leaning on being Dragonborn to roleplay as a kind of mediator between dragons and non-dragons.

My concept is that there is a roleplay encounter in which they are offered the chance to become More Dragon. If they accept (90% odds they will) then this is represented by a Dip Level into Draconic Ancestry Sorcerer with the following effects:

1. Their draconic nature enhances their interactions with dragon kind (OK, so they will need to acquire Persuasion proficiency somehow; probably the Skilled Feat). They have +1 from Dragonborn CHA as is.

2. Their 'fire breath' improves as represented by reskinning 'Fire bolt' and 'Create Bonfire' as innate abilities to run alongside standard fire breath (also improves ranged attack options for the otherwise melee heavy Barbarian)

3. They develop a powerful 'roar' as represented by reskinning 'Thunderclap' as an innate ability over a cantrip

4. They develop wings which impede armour and allow them to flap them and blast air in from of them (a reskinned 'Gust' cantrip)

Cantrips are nice for the rule-averse as they don't need anything to 'count' or spell slots etc

The only question is the Level 1 spell slots, which the rules-averse player will not want to deal with. So I am thinking to effectively remove that part and allow them to use their wings to 'glide' in a Batman-style. Effectively swap 2 spell slot for an unlimited - less good - version of Feather Fall.

My feeling is that this will respect the player's roleplay choices, and open up a range of options for them, without being too unbalanced/OP. However, it never hurts to get a different perspective on something.

ProsecutorGodot
2021-11-30, 02:37 AM
Seems cool, you can actually borrow the mechanics for gliding straight out of the Simic Hybrid racial stats:

Manta Glide - You have ray-like fins that you can use as wings to slow your fall or allow you to glide. When you fall and aren’t incapacitated, you can subtract up to 100 feet from the fall when calculating falling damage, and you can move up to 2 feet horizontally for every 1 foot you descend.

As far as "trading spell slots for gliding" I'd say it's probably a downgrade but if the player would prefer not to track spell slots that's fine.

My only concern, and I want to stress that this is only said out of an abundance of caution since I trust you know your group better than I do, is that forcing a multiclass onto the character might be the wrong way to approach this. I know you want the transition to happen through roleplay but I think it's very important that you tell them directly that accepting will count as their level up and that the cantrips that they would have chosen are going to be predetermined to match their ancestry. It could very well be that they want to lean hard into the roleplay but might want to keep their progression into Barbarian for simplicities sake.

So long as everyone agrees, I think it's fine and a pretty cool idea.

Oramac
2021-11-30, 02:37 AM
Sounds all right to me. If they're as averse to the rules as you say, they're unlikely to seek out ways to break things, which means that the given benefits wouldn't hurt anything too much.

My only real concern is that if you give them wings for Gust and Feather Fall, at some point they will ask to use them to fly. Or, might seek out a way to make them capable of flight.

Oramac
2021-11-30, 02:41 AM
My only concern, and I want to stress that this is only said out of an abundance of caution since I trust you know your group better than I do, is that forcing a multiclass onto the character might be the wrong way to approach this. I know you want the transition to happen through roleplay but I think it's very important that you tell them directly that accepting will count as their level up and that the cantrips that they would have chosen are going to be predetermined to match their ancestry. It could very well be that they want to lean hard into the roleplay but might want to keep their progression into Barbarian for simplicities sake.

So long as everyone agrees, I think it's fine and a pretty cool idea.

I'll second this as well. Well said.

Kane0
2021-11-30, 02:48 AM
1. Their draconic nature enhances their interactions with dragon kind (OK, so they will need to acquire Persuasion proficiency somehow; probably the Skilled Feat). They have +1 from Dragonborn CHA as is.

The only question is the Level 1 spell slots, which the rules-averse player will not want to deal with. So I am thinking to effectively remove that part and allow them to use their wings to 'glide' in a Batman-style. Effectively swap 2 spell slot for an unlimited - less good - version of Feather Fall.

Some ideas:
- Swap the natural armor that Draconic sorcerers get for a passive advantage on cha checks against creatures of the dragon type
- replace one spell slot with the monks slow fall ability, as long as the dragonborn's 'wings' are out. Maybe redice by 3 or 4 instead of 5.
- replace the other spell with advantage on saves vs fear when raging

MrDaniel
2021-11-30, 04:01 AM
Seems cool, you can actually borrow the mechanics for gliding straight out of the Simic Hybrid racial stats:

Oh cool. That'll be really handy as a guideline/rule of thumb. Thank you.

My only concern, and I want to stress that this is only said out of an abundance of caution since I trust you know your group better than I do, is that forcing a multiclass onto the character might be the wrong way to approach this.

If I gave the impression of forcing a multiclass, then it was in error. It will be offered as a clearly signposted choice. I am merely predicting the outcome based on precedent and personality.

This is a player that does not have PHB and has no interest in PHB. I handled chargen and - since we play VTT - virtually everything is handled by simple macros/buttons. If I start using words like "predetermined cantrips" then I will lose them. If they have a tarot reading where the fey mystic offers them cards with a Dragon, an Axe and a Scroll (they have Sage background as a kind of Warrior Poet) and asks them to choose their path, they will be much happier with that. Though I can always check in OOC afterwards which is good practice. So I thank you for your concern.

Plus, as its a dip, the next level will be Barbarian anyway.

MrDaniel
2021-11-30, 04:05 AM
Some ideas:
- Swap the natural armor that Draconic sorcerers get for a passive advantage on cha checks against creatures of the dragon type
- replace one spell slot with the monks slow fall ability, as long as the dragonborn's 'wings' are out. Maybe redice by 3 or 4 instead of 5.
- replace the other spell with advantage on saves vs fear when raging

Some fine ideas. Slow Fall would be a good way to handle gliding.

I suppose having natural armour from Barbarian and Draconic Sorcerer is redundant. Giving Advantage on CHA checks with draconic beings is good - but is it OP when stacked with the Draconic Sorcerer already getting: "Whenever you make a Charisma check when interacting with dragons, your proficiency bonus is doubled if it applies to the check"?

MrDaniel
2021-11-30, 04:10 AM
Sounds all right to me. If they're as averse to the rules as you say, they're unlikely to seek out ways to break things, which means that the given benefits wouldn't hurt anything too much.

My only real concern is that if you give them wings for Gust and Feather Fall, at some point they will ask to use them to fly. Or, might seek out a way to make them capable of flight.

They will very much want that. And I have half an eye on "Dragon Wings" from an old Unearthed Arcana (I would link it but my post count is apparently too low)

They are sufficient rules averse not to power/metagame it, so I am open to it. BUT not until 8th Level Feat - as that will keep it in line with Spell-based and Wild Shape access to Flight.

In game, it will take time to build up strength and skill with this new wings

Kane0
2021-11-30, 04:14 AM
Or just make a dragon barbarian subclass? Just an extra totem choice even.

MrDaniel
2021-11-30, 04:16 AM
Or just make a dragon barbarian subclass? Just an extra totem choice even.

That would have been a good idea... but we've passed level 3. Though I suppose if I am homebrewing a retcon is possible

ProsecutorGodot
2021-11-30, 04:23 AM
That would have been a good idea... but we've passed level 3. Though I suppose if I am homebrewing a retcon is possible

Tasha's added rules for retraining subclasses, so this part isn't even strictly homebrew.

Each character class involves the choice of a subclass at 1st, 2nd, or 3rd level. A subclass represents an area of specialization and offers different class features as you level up. With your DM’s approval, you can change your subclass when you would normally gain a new subclass feature. If you decide to make this change, choose another subclass that belongs to your class and replace all your old subclass features with the features of the new subclass that are for your new level and lower.
Sometimes a character undergoes a dramatic transformation in their beliefs and abilities. When a character experiences a profound self-realization or faces an entity or a place of overwhelming power, beauty, or terror, the DM might allow an immediate subclass change.
Seems to fit the bill.

Bobthewizard
2021-11-30, 06:36 AM
I wouldn't make them multiclass. I would just pick one or two parts that they will think are cool and give it to them as a boon. Maybe just the wings part - either extended glide or feather/slow fall, then flight at 8 - and the increased range of a breath weapon - firebolt as a breath weapon.

Then maybe think of similarly powered abilities to give the other characters over the next few sessions.

Kane0
2021-11-30, 07:04 AM
Yes a boon also sounds appropriate.

JNAProductions
2021-11-30, 07:28 AM
Yes a boon also sounds appropriate.

Echoing this. Simpler and cleaner.

Also gonna say, sounds like you’re doing a good job! Hope you and your players have a blast :)