PDA

View Full Version : UA and Tashas Sidekicks as Multiclass Options for a no-multiclass game?

Bjarkmundur
2021-12-01, 07:49 AM
Alright friends, I'm going to have to ask you to bear with me for a bit. This is going to sound a little bit out there, so just roll with it. Telling me it's a stupid idea (and why) isn't going to help, I know it is. What I really need is some guidence on how to make it work.

So I run a no-multiclass game. This has never been an issue with my players, who are not the multiclassing types anyways. BUT, the more random characters I make in my spare time, the more I start wanting to make things that are.... tricky... to make without multiclassing.

Now I never liked multiclassing, but I do like the idea of a wizard being able to train with the Captain of the Guard, or the Paladin to spend time with a Circle of Druids, and pick up some new tricks.

Classes and subclasses are designed to be integral to a character, and some characters have been working towards 1st level for most of their life. So I thought, is there any way to give a character some new tricks, without giving them a new class (or the identity attacked to that class).

SIDEKICKS!

Now we have UA SIDEKICKS (https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_Sidekicks.pdf)and TASHAS SIDEKICKS (http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/sidekicks), and these are pretty much exactly what I was thinking of. I'd set them up with some multiclass options like this (using the UA for this example):

The Warrior
Hit Die: 1d10
Proficiencies: Light and medium armor, shields, simple and martial weapons.
Class Features: Second Wind
Advanced Class Features: Danger Sense, Improved Critical, Extra Attack.

The Expert
Hit Die: 1d8
Proficiencies: Light armor, one skill.
Class Features: Expertise, Helpful
Advanced Class Features: Cunning Action, Jack of Many Trades, Extra Attack.

The Spellcaster
Hit Die: 1d6
Proficiencies: None
Class Features: Spellcasting (any spell list)
Advanced Class Features: Magical Recovery.

Now, here's the problem. The sidekick classes are obviously not meant to be used for this. So, this being the "let's change things to make them work for our needs and our specific game" forum, can you help me make them fit better as multiclass options?

I feel like the Warrior in both UA and TASHAS are really undertuned, and it's almost never worth it to sacrifice a level of your main class to gain these features. What do you think has to change?

The spellcaster is much much much much worse from tashas. Why do you think they made that change?

I did think of just using feats, but I think I'd rather buff the sidekick classes to be worth the level, rather than nerf them to make them balanced as feats.

What do you think? Is there any hope here? I really want to be able to do some mixed-theme shenanigans, without having to deal with all the mechanical shenanigans of 5e multiclassing. It's supposed to be a story tool, and help a player tell the story of when his character left the group for two months to train with the Monks. Allowing him to tell that story by becoming a Sorcerer/Expert multiclass would really help sell the narrative.

I'm rambling now, hope I get some opinions, cheers, bye, chau!